Just spent 2hrs with K701 - what are you guys on?
Jun 21, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #121 of 197
The important question we should be asking the 701 haters is what kind of recordings they are appraising the 701s with. Not only must the recording be technically good (minimalist miking, no multitracking, limited post processing) and ideally should also not be artificially produced.i.e. electronic synths.

There are a lot of crappy recordings out there esp of mainstream music but there are also lots of crappy recordings of other music genres esp classical music.

The test of a good sound reproduction instrument is how good recordings sound through it. If it consistently sounds good with good recordings produced by a range of different companies/engineers and it is able to reveal faults of bad sounding recordings then the fault doesn't lie with the instrument but the recordings themselves. If the headphones are making both mediocre and good recordings sound good, then the headphones or one of the components in the reproduction chain is colouring the sound.

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #122 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by triode12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the headphones are making both mediocre and good recordings sound good, then the headphones/components are colouring the sound.

and that's where i feel the term 'audiophile' becomes fuzzy because we're essentially splitting people into two categories: those striving for the best in sound reproduction, and those striving for the most enjoyable presentation of sound

of course that's not a black and white notion, and another reason why many people have many headphones that serve many purposes - and of course it's possible to be in both parks at once...and also to some, the best in sound reproduction is quite possible the most enjoyable presentation of what they're hearing as well? maybe...
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #123 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by triode12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The important question we should be asking the 701 haters is what kind of recordings they are appraising the 701s with. Not only must the recording be technically good (minimalist miking, no multitracking, limited post processing) and ideally should also not be artificially produced.i.e. electronic synths.

Fair enough...

Clifford Jordan - Live at Ethell's
Hope Waits - Hope Waits
Bill Berry - For Duke
Carmen McRae - Great American Songbook
Ella Fitzgerald - Clap Hands Here Comes Charlie
Rickie Lee Jones - Pop Pop
Cat Stevens - Tea For the Tillerman
Frank Sinatra - Sings For Only The Lonely
Harry Belafonte - Returns to Carnegie Hall
James Carter - Chasin' The Gypsy
Jane Monheit - Come Dream With Me
Joni Mitchell - Blue
Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth
McCoy Tyner - Plays Coltrane

on and on...ad nauseam

I'll just add that I have NEVER gave a **** of what others thought of my musical or hardware choices, yet I must say, the K701 club seems overly sensitive to any/all negative feedback regarding this headphone. If one is secure in their choice, it should not matter one iota what anyone thinks about YOUR choice. No one....I mean NO ONE has the same set of ears as the next guy. Why the hell should it matter what someone else thinks?

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #124 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So now everything is HD800 vs. the world? A $250 headphone vs a $1400 headphone. Are there not enough HD800 vs xxxxx threads that they have to infiltrate every discussion?

IF going by MSRP lets be fair.. 449.00 vs 1,400.

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #125 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by kukrisna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and that's where i feel the term 'audiophile' becomes fuzzy because we're essentially splitting people into two categories: those striving for the best in sound reproduction, and those striving for the most enjoyable presentation of sound

of course that's not a black and white notion, and another reason why many people have many headphones that serve many purposes - and of course it's possible to be in both parks at once...and also to some, the best in sound reproduction is quite possible the most enjoyable presentation of what they're hearing as well? maybe...
tongue_smile.gif

kukrisna, I definitely agree with that. It takes a while for the caterpillar to become a butterfly. We're always in the process of learning new things and tastes change as a part of our evolution.

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #126 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always found the K701 to be.......completely devoid of any life and passion.

Check your pulse.

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #127 of 197
I pretty much listen to newer style metal on my K701's. Bands like Devildriver, Killswitch Engage, Iced Earth, Kamelot, ect.. Some other ones like Winds Of Plague.

I think mostly everything sounds good on my K701's, even Rap (GASP! He's insane!).

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #128 of 197
Well, I just spent 2 hours listening to the akg k701s and then popped on the Sennheiser hd800 and realize just how superior the 800s are...they simply destroy all other headphones that I've owned.

I know...for the price....yada yada...but hey, this, imho, is the one headphone to rule them all.

Believe the hype....it's like going from kindergarten directly to college.
I thought that 10% increase would make the hd800s worth it but
I'd go so far as to say...I hear 30 - 40% improvements.

Sorry for hijacking the thread...now, back to the k701s.

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #129 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I just spent 2 hours listening to the akg k701s and then popped on the Sennheiser hd800 and realize just how superior the 800s are...they simply destroy all other headphones that I've owned.

I know...for the price....yada yada...but hey, this, imho, is the one headphone to rule them all.

Believe the hype....it's like going from kindergarten directly to college.
I thought that 10% increase would make the hd800s worth it but
I'd go so far as to say...I hear 30 - 40% improvements.

Sorry for hijacking the thread...now, back to the k701s.

You sound like my me & my DT48
beerchug.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #130 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IF going by MSRP lets be fair.. 449.00 vs 1,400.

Has anybody paid or been quoted less than $1400 for the 800s? You can get quotes of $250 for new 701s. If you buy tomorrow, these prices are what you'd pay. If someone paid $449 for the 701, shame on them.

I hope the 800s are a league above but what does their quality have to do with the 701s?

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #131 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never said they did, but they did come from the same type of person. Did you not see my comment about getting their stories straight before they post?

Anyway, forget that. So if you balance the 701 then it gets close to the 800 but what about the big spike in the upper mids and then the huge drop off after that. That spike is also part of what takes away from the bass. None of them are flat but at least the 800 hovers closer to zero unlike the 701. The gap is smaller when balanced though.

I would reply to this, but everyone else in your sig does it for me.

Edit: Well .. I guess i have to say something anyways for the new people that don't know how much of an idiot he is. Oldblue complains that K701's are treble heavy while having NO bass even though he just admitted they roll off at high freqs. While stating that me and someone else are the same type of person even though we have different views on the same thing lol. Just fyi. I guess he needs to get his story straight on how great Hd650's are since there is a thread about them lacking bass. Cause they must be the same type of people ???

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #132 of 197
I think is a matter of taste in the end. I bring my Denon d5000 and Sennheiser hd650 with me when i visit my Stax-fan uncle, he finds both of my cans are too boomy; whereas i find his Omega isn't warm enough and slightly lack bass.

Personally i had k701, it was in a love-hate situation, love the soundstage and detail on that can. I do miss listending to it after i sold it.

I guess my main point is that, there isn't ONE perfect can that we can all agree on, so please don't depend on one's comment and make the judgement, until you have actually tested out yourself.

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #134 of 197
Jun 21, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #135 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by cAsE sEnSiTiVe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fair enough...

Clifford Jordan - Live at Ethell's
Hope Waits - Hope Waits
Bill Berry - For Duke
Carmen McRae - Great American Songbook
Ella Fitzgerald - Clap Hands Here Comes Charlie
Rickie Lee Jones - Pop Pop
Cat Stevens - Tea For the Tillerman
Frank Sinatra - Sings For Only The Lonely
Harry Belafonte - Returns to Carnegie Hall
James Carter - Chasin' The Gypsy
Jane Monheit - Come Dream With Me
Joni Mitchell - Blue
Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth
McCoy Tyner - Plays Coltrane

on and on...ad nauseam

I'll just add that I have NEVER gave a **** of what others thought of my musical or hardware choices, yet I must say, the K701 club seems overly sensitive to any/all negative feedback regarding this headphone. If one is secure in their choice, it should not matter one iota what anyone thinks about YOUR choice. No one....I mean NO ONE has the same set of ears as the next guy. Why the hell should it matter what someone else thinks?

I think some of these people are fooling themselves and cant stand it when someone is honest about these headphones. People never like it when a mistake is highlighted and always seem to over compensate.

Seriously folks, are there any threads full of angry hordes after anyone who said the 650 sucked? I see people saying they don't like the 650 quite often, I just never see the lynch mob to go with these comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back