Just spent 2hrs with K701 - what are you guys on?
Jun 21, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #136 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I just spent 2 hours listening to the akg k701s and then popped on the Sennheiser hd800 and realize just how superior the 800s are...they simply destroy all other headphones that I've owned.

I know...for the price....yada yada...but hey, this, imho, is the one headphone to rule them all.

Believe the hype....it's like going from kindergarten directly to college.
I thought that 10% increase would make the hd800s worth it but
I'd go so far as to say...I hear 30 - 40% improvements.

Sorry for hijacking the thread...now, back to the k701s.

Yes, HD800 are much better than K701. Now the question is that how this can be concluded as "K701 sux".

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #138 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, HD800 are much better than K701. Now the question is that how this can be concluded as "K701 sux".

You'd never catch me saying that the k701 sux...never!...they are a different economy of scale. They are a mid level monitor and priced appropriately.

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #139 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think some of these people are fooling themselves and cant stand it when someone is honest about these headphones. People never like it when a mistake is highlighted and always seem to over compensate.

Seriously folks, are there any threads full of angry hordes after anyone who said the 650 sucked? I see people saying they don't like the 650 quite often, I just never see the lynch mob to go with these comments.

In fairness I think we can agree that the hd650 aren't anywhere nearly as controversial as the k701. Most everyone at least thinks they sound ok (very rarely have I seen someone say they suck, but when it comes to k701 threads that is about every third comment).

Personally I don't care at all if someone says a pair of my headphones suck. The reason I don't like all the k701 bashing is because I think it will dissuade some people who would really love them from giving them a fair chance. I'm glad I gave them a fair chance.

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #140 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In fairness I think we can agree that the hd650 aren't anywhere nearly as controversial as the k701. Most everyone at least thinks they sound ok (very rarely have I seen someone say they suck, but when it comes to k701 threads that is about every third comment).

Personally I don't care at all if someone says a pair of my headphones suck. The reason I don't like all the k701 bashing is because I think it will dissuade some people who would really love them from giving them a fair chance. I'm glad I gave them a fair chance.

Are you using yours with the CTH? If so what tube has become your favorite?

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #141 of 197
Quote:

Are you using yours with the CTH? If so what tube has become your favorite?

I haven't spent much time with the k701 and CTH. Mostly I've been using my rs-1s.
I did use the k701 with an amperex 6dj8 which sounded very nice to my ears (but remember I'm already a k701 fan).

I was kindly sent 13 tubes from trapper32 for my CTH. I also already had several compatible tubes. I just haven't had a chance to spend some time playing with them yet.

Also I'm waiting on my Auricaps before I really dive in. I found these caps made a more striking difference in sound then any of the tubes I have tried so far (I a/bed two CTHs, with the coupling caps being the only differentiators). I'm really amazed how much the Auricaps brought the CTH and different tubes to life (...I could go on).

I know all this is pretty OT, but perhaps a welcome change from the circular k701 "discussions"?

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #142 of 197
Quote:

I haven't spent much time with the k701 and CTH. Mostly I've been using my rs-1s.
I did use the k701 with an amperex 6dj8 which sounded very nice to my ears (but remember I'm already a k701 fan).

I was kindly sent 13 tubes from trapper32 for my CTH. I also already had several compatible tubes. I just haven't had a chance to spend some time playing with them yet.

Also I'm waiting on my Auricaps before I really dive in. I found these caps made a more striking difference in sound then any of the tubes I have tried so far (I a/bed two CTHs, with the coupling caps being the only differentiators). I'm really amazed how much the Auricaps brought the CTH and different tubes to life (...I could go on).

I know all this is pretty OT, but perhaps a welcome change from the circular k701 "discussions"?

Saw the photo of your CTH, very nice, very nice.

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #143 of 197
Quote:

I think some of these people are fooling themselves and cant stand it when someone is honest about these headphones. People never like it when a mistake is highlighted and always seem to over compensate.

Seriously folks, are there any threads full of angry hordes after anyone who said the 650 sucked? I see people saying they don't like the 650 quite often, I just never see the lynch mob to go with these comments.

Pray tell how are we overcompensating?

Oh, there is no problem with people being honest about their opinions, it is how you state those opinions that I (and a number of people here) have issues with.

If you have stated your opinion many times over that it has become tiresome BUT that isn't the main problem, it is when you berate others who disagree with your opinion. You yourself cannot accept that there are people who love the K701s and have a right to that POV. You and your small gaggle of likeminded cronies attack people on a personal level like uncouth louts.

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #144 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd never catch me saying that the k701 sux...never!...they are a different economy of scale. They are a mid level monitor and priced appropriately.

Now, that is a fair statement to make about the 701s.

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #145 of 197
I prefer my K702 over my HD650, DT990, DT770, MS2i
smile_phones.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #146 of 197
Quote:

Saw the photo of your CTH, very nice, very nice.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by triode12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You and your small gaggle of likeminded cronies attack people on a personal level like uncouth louts.

Seems like there's more than one person attacking on a personal level.

...this could be relatively civil...

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #147 of 197
Guys, peace in the Middle East has to be more achievable than reconciling the animosity between those who like the AGK K701 and those who dont (and, shades of the Middle East, those who have no strong feelings but feel the need to get involved ..).

I dont think Stereophile and other reviewers did the 701 any favours by languishing it with so much praise. It would seem that everyone who picks up a pair expects to be instantly transported to audio heaven - when it doesnt happen they seem to lose it big time. Like jilted lovers, they lash out left and right, declaring anyone who claims to have enjoyed the 701s tender caress to be a fraud and a charlatan, and the one time object of their affection to be little more than a gussied-up tramp who entertains lonely truckers out on Interstate 99.

Will this happen with the 800s ? Inevitably, there will be malcontents who are no more happy with those phones than they are with anything else, but simply by virtue of the fact that you are unlikely to be able to get a pair for less than a thousand USD for some years to come, its less likely that there will be a legion of such people.

Those who enjoy the 701s may need to bite their tongues and simply be happy that they didnt pay money for a headphone that ran off with that guy down the road.
o2smile.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #148 of 197
I just heard the k701'w with a Phonitor (my next buy) and they surpassed all expectations! I thought that my Lehmann BCL Balanced was already superb with them... the 701's are to my ears, some of the less colored cans out there, and are very sensitive to colored amplification, a reason why they require a perfect matched amp to shine.

But the best reason they are always bashed is because most headfi'ers dont know what neutral is (the 701's arent neutral but they are close for a headphone), those that want more bass are used to artificial bass, those that want another render of vocals are used to artificial vocals....

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #149 of 197
Quote:

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Seems like there's more than one person attacking on a personal level.

...this could be relatively civil...

Just returning his salvos in kind. That is the only way to deal with louts.

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #150 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it didn't have an unnatural weirdness in the vocals, it would be an excellent headphone. Also, I'm very disappointed in AKG, considering their older models.

Exactly, K701-hate isn't AKG bashing in general, because some the most substantial criticism comes from the biggest AKG-fans. It's not just that they consider it a serious step back in ambition from the K1000, but that it also disappoints compared to it's true predecessors, the K500/K501. And the complaints mainly seem to center on the unnaturally coloured mids and the peak in the highs. (Such a common thing in modern headphones, to give the superficial illusion of detail.) I've seen very few impressions from people who've compared the two models and considered the K701 superior (except if they were desperate for 'moah bass').

Not having heard the K701 myself, my verdict is still out. I would love to get the opportunity to try them, but given these impressions, I doubt I will like them very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back