Just spent 2hrs with K701 - what are you guys on?
Jun 20, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #62 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewAKGGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a newbie to headphone audiophilia, but a long time two-channel hi-fi nut, and way out on the bleeding edge with that stuff. I recently purchased a pair of 702s that are just breaking in (120 hours or so), and I am running them with an Icon Mobile amp but have a Hornet (M) and an iBasso P3+ on the way along with a couple of new cables from Moon Audio.

Used to be a low end (under $150) Grado & Sennheiser guy but for really casual listening. I got the AKGs because i wanted something a little higher performance, and was tired of Grado's shoddy and painfully uncomfortable build quality, and Sennheiser's always sounded a little muddy to me (though my last pair was probably listened to 15-20 years ago and I don't remember the model).

Anyhow, the AKGs strike me as extremely revealing of the audio chain, very much like my old Spectral/Martin Logan and Spectral/Wilson rigs. If the recording is even marginal they let you know, the bass disappears and they can sound shrill. But the good recordings really sound good with warmth and detail and good bass definition and even some impact. I suspect I will find that the AKGs are the same ruthless revealers with the amps. I like that truthfulness, as it often comes with superb soundstaging and a dramatic 3D sense of air around the individual instruments that I think distinguishes live music. Thus far the AKGs seem to deliver those qualities in spades.

But maybe this truthfulness/neutrality is the reason AKGs draw such a wide spectrum of criticism/praise. Sometimes one can be tempted to hate that which shows him that one of his favorite albums that he always suspected was a marginal recording is really quite poorly recorded (and that has happened to me since I got these). Personally, I can get over those disappointments as long as the revealers remain truthful on the other side and give me a new appreciation of the really good recordings (which they have thus far).

Need more time with these 702s and different amps (and to listen to more new Senns) before I can absolutely commit to this next statement, but I think these 702s may be the equivalent of on-ear Wilsons, and as such will become my goto headphone.

We'll see!
L3000.gif

Doubt that's it.. The HP1000 is even more neutral/truthful/transparent, & are adored by most audiophiles.. The 701's are pretty neutral for a audiophile consumer headphone, but are still colored compared to professional monitor headphones..HP1, K240 DF, CD900st, etc.. If the 701 was truly flat & lacked color you would have even more hate..

Jun 20, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #63 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by astroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These cans are great, i have read very little positive said about them on here at all. Comments have ranged from "worst headphones ive ever tried" to "where is the bass?".
I have tried them with a wide range of tunes using a Slee Voyager and i am nothing but impressed.

I'm with you 100%. I've been using mine for the past four days and they are positively thrilling and imspiring. Music moves, it ebbs and flows, it has action, depth, strength, sonics. This does not happen with bad music and/or bad recordings and it shouldn't. I can hear the differences in turntables/cartridges, CD players, amps etc. clear as a bell.

Folks who diss the 701 are either deaf or have a specific listening agenda that precludes good sound and music reproduction.

Jun 20, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #64 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
steviebee, I want you to picture yourself with a pair of balanced 701s plugged into this lot:

Ultra Balanced Desktop Stack Package @ HeadRoom

Dreams are free.
tongue.gif

Pure evil, lol

sigh....two thou....hmmm, next week then
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #65 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doubt that's it.. The HP1000 is even more neutral/truthful/transparent, & are adored by most audiophiles.. The 701's are pretty neutral for a audiophile consumer headphone, but are still colored compared to professional monitor headphones..HP1, K240 DF, CD900st, etc.. If the 701 was truly flat & lacked color you would have even more hate..

X702.

I definitely agree to that. After 30 plus years of experience in the pro musical instrument market, AKG designed the K-701/2 from the studio monitor hp approach. They did a great job to satisfie both worlds, the audio engineers and the audiophile needs. As I see that...they win and we win too.
k701smile.gif

Jun 20, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #66 of 197
these cans truly draw a little of conversation! this post started early this morning and is already at page 5.
I miss my audio technica ATH 700s right now, mainly because my K702's are unamped, brand new and very unfamiliar. The 700s and to a lesser extent the Senns HD 555 sounded good right out of the box. I noticed little difference with burn in...they sounded like headphones should sound.
The K702 are a relationship builder. I know what they sound like now and am looking forward to getting to know them better with burn in, different amps, different sound card etc...the potential behind these headphones is what is making me look forward to the future. My other cans, what I had was what I was going to get and there was nothing to look forward too.....
I especially look forward to deciding between SS and Tube amp!
once that is done, recabling seems to be the next step...but still, more evolution, more making these cans mine!

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #67 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had an interesting conversation the other day, it was with a K701 owner. He mentioned that when he compared his late-manufacture K701s with a friend's K701s, the sound signature was very different. His friend's early model had the usual "lack of bass" characteristic, but his late model one had a lot more bass, using the same rig. He suspects that the K701 was changed, mid production, to sound different.

I'm going to try K701s again next week (along with the HD-800). I really want to know what I'll perceive of them after not owning them for so long.

Given AKG's manufacturing history, it wouldn't be unlikely that they changed the K701 in mid-production. They've done so for a number of other headphones including the Sextetts and the K501.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's not cool to lump the K701 in with all AKG's other headphones, as if that is it's house sound. Not true, the K340, K240 Sextett and K271 sound very different... K701 bashing is not the same as AKG bashing
wink.gif

I agree. AKG doesn't have a true "house sound". The old K140 and the K701 are probably as diametrically opposed as you can get for headphones made by the same company.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewAKGGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But maybe this truthfulness/neutrality is the reason AKGs draw such a wide spectrum of criticism/praise.

This could account for a number of the dissension around the K701, but not all of it. There are many members who enjoy headphones as true and neutral as the K701 and headphones that are probably even more true and neutral than the K701 who don't like them. I haven't listened to them enough myself to make a qualified statement on their quality, but I wasn't very impressed from the little time I've spent with them.

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #68 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aside from that, I will say I love the 701s. Pure synergy bliss with the KICAS and especially with my Headroom Balanced Desktop.

Warrior, I wish that everyone here, myself included, could experience each of the headphones we are discussing in this thread (including the Senns) through that HeadRoom rig. No, I'm not spamming my fellow Head-Fiers, but why are we prepared to spend hundreds upon hundreds on headphones without being prepared to spend the required amount on the engine needed to really drive them to their potential ? Its like putting a massive exhaust system on a stock engine and expecting your car to perform - in many cases, your car will run like a sick lemur .....

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #69 of 197
It's the lack of texture for me, and the "eggshell" soundstage.

Eggshell soundstage: Reasonably sized around you, but quite thin when you poke at it or try to explore a particular section of it.

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #70 of 197
Love the K1000, don't like the K701 (even with classical - this is practically the only genre I listen to), really annoyed by K701 evangelists.

I'd rate the K701 above only the MS1, SA5000, and W5000 (only because its cheaper) among the full size headphones I've owned.

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #71 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Love the K1000, don't like the K701 (even with classical - this is practically the only genre I listen to), really annoyed by K701 evangelists.

Luckily, there isnt any of that 'evangelism' thing going on at Head-Fi !
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #72 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How so?

I've had stats for 11 years. I purposely choose stats for these qualities. I've been listening to detail, imaging and fast attack music and movie sound because those qualities are what I enjoy. I also tried to become a sonar tech. in the Navy but didn't have the high frequency hearing for it, so I was an IC electrician in charge of music and video on board ship. My sonic weakness was in the higher frequencies which the 701s are colored to. So you could say I have trained myself for those aspects of sound presentation.

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #73 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't even have my K702s amped yet...(ok, let me zip up here, ok good, now I 've got my full flame retardent suit on), I have them plugged into the Logitech z5500 pod and cranked the volume and they are quite nice, the bass is not as lacking as I also was worried about....I am really excited to get a better am and sound card though!

Dude, you gotta amp those mofos! It'll make the world of difference!

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #74 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
these cans truly draw a little of conversation! this post started early this morning and is already at page 5.
I miss my audio technica ATH 700s right now, mainly because my K702's are unamped, brand new and very unfamiliar. The 700s and to a lesser extent the Senns HD 555 sounded good right out of the box. I noticed little difference with burn in...they sounded like headphones should sound.
The K702 are a relationship builder. I know what they sound like now and am looking forward to getting to know them better with burn in, different amps, different sound card etc...the potential behind these headphones is what is making me look forward to the future. My other cans, what I had was what I was going to get and there was nothing to look forward too.....
I especially look forward to deciding between SS and Tube amp!
once that is done, recabling seems to be the next step...but still, more evolution, more making these cans mine!

Yes, burn-in should make a big impact. I fully experienced this w/ a new set of DT770 Pros (250) - the harsh, sterile factor went away completely after about 20 hours of play.

Are you letting them play in a drawer or something, during their "off-hours?"

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #75 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by TubeStack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, you gotta amp those mofos! It'll make the world of difference!

Actually he is amping them. I have a Logitech Z-2300 desktop system and it drives headphones very well. I've had Sennheiser's, Beyer's, Grado's and AKG's plugged into it and it is most definitely an amplified hp jack. Anyone on a budget could do far worse in an amp imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back