just some shortlisting advice please :)
Mar 10, 2021 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chrisjsmith11

New Head-Fier
Hi all

I have for years owned AKG702s.
They have bitten the dust, sadly.
What I love about them is the ''out of body experience'' - a fatigue free listen, they sit softly on the head, and there's a 3d all enveloping nature to them. Almost like an in-room experience.
I prefer this to a more beefy 'near-field' listen of something like Senheisser 6xx.
It's all tastes and preferences isn't it.

Anyway, I have a nice class A head-amp, can drive most things within reason.

So, if you were looking second hand, had under $300 to spend and you'd previously loved AKG702's, what would you go for?
NB Please don't say AKG 712. That's just a very boring answer :D

I'm too out of touch to know what's the best few picks..
So hopefully I am in the right place :)

Cheers

Mar 11, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi all

I have for years owned AKG702s.
They have bitten the dust, sadly.
What I love about them is the ''out of body experience'' - a fatigue free listen, they sit softly on the head, and there's a 3d all enveloping nature to them. Almost like an in-room experience.
I prefer this to a more beefy 'near-field' listen of something like Senheisser 6xx.
It's all tastes and preferences isn't it.

Anyway, I have a nice class A head-amp, can drive most things within reason.

So, if you were looking second hand, had under $300 to spend and you'd previously loved AKG702's, what would you go for?
NB Please don't say AKG 712. That's just a very boring answer :D

I'm too out of touch to know what's the best few picks..
So hopefully I am in the right place :)

Cheers
Audeze LCD-2C but I'm not sure how much a good used pair goes for where you are.

I'm not comparing it to AKG anything, just based on the sentence I underlined of your post- exactly that.

Mar 11, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 5
I don't know, I have not heard them or seen them at all. But from a quick check I think they are not in the same category.

There is a gigantic thread here on the LCD-2C here on the forums: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-lcd-2c-classic-impressions-thread.862174/

What I love about these is that they feel enveloping, like I'm down in the headphones. They're heavy but the suspension strap distributes the weight and because the pads are great it's one of my most comfortable headphones. It is like the HD 600 in that it does everything well and has no obvious weaknesses. It is a warm pair of headphones, utterly non-fatiguing, and the build seems really good. Unless you listen to only classical, I think there is something for everybody to love with the LCD-2C. And they're rather easy to drive well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back