Just received the HD660S2 but is there anything else that can be recommended?
Jun 24, 2023 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

WhiteWeni

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I just bought the HD660S2 new for 400€ since Sennheiser had a discount going on.
They are running on a SoundblasterX G6. Is this even a good idea? All I know is, that it can power headphones up to 600 Ω so I thought this should be sufficient.

I am coming from a Fidelio X2 and mostly look for music/gaming open back headphones.
So far I tried the MMX300 but it immediately reminded me of the Beyer-Peak and why I returned them already a couple years ago.
The X2 packs a really heavy bassy punch but unfortunately the highs are very harsh and in direct comparison with the 660S2 they almost sound unbearable and I wonder how I managed all those years with the X2. Also the mids compared to the 660S2 are non-existent.

So far I like the 660S2 quite a lot, but they could use a LITTLE bit more bass. Else it sounds like a fun and exciting headphone to me.. not super neutral but that is totally fine for me.

Now I wonder if i might have missed any other suitable heaphone out there within the 400€ region that might also be worth a look.
I heard some good stuff about Hifiman XS and Sundara but it seems their QC seems to suck, so I am not sure if I want to pay money for something that MIGHT last more than 5 years. Additionally I have no idea how they can be compared against the 660S2.

Best Regards
WhiteWeni

Jun 24, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 21
Since you are already satisfied with the HD660S S2 with the Soundblaster X6 and only want a little more bass, just get a iFi Zen Air Can Amp with XBass, which will also let you use the included 4.4mm cable for S-Balanced Mode:

https://www.amazon.de/iFi-Zen-Air-CAN-Resolution-Black/dp/B09V7TQWPZ/
Thanks for your answer. Do I have any specific benefit by using the balanced 4.4mm cable?
I also noticed that it has no Micro-USB so connecting it to a PC or console would get tricky.
But then again I am not sure if it makes a difference in sound quality if I connect the amp via USB as compared to optical/analog for example.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 21
Thanks for your answer. Do I have any specific benefit by using the balanced 4.4mm cable?
I also noticed that it has no Micro-USB so connecting it to a PC or console would get tricky.
But then again I am not sure if it makes a difference in sound quality if I connect the amp via USB as compared to optical/analog for example.

With this cheaper amp, using the balanced cable is more of a novelty, as the outputs have no discrete electronic pathways. You would still use the SB G6 as a DAC/amp, but you are also using a 3.5mm-to-rca or 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable between the SB G6 and Zen Air Can amp.

Jun 24, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 21
With this cheaper amp, using the balanced cable is more of a novelty, as the outputs have no discrete electronic pathways. You would still use the SB G6 as a DAC/amp, but you are also using a 3.5mm-to-rca or 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable between the SB G6 and Zen Air Can amp.
Ah gotcha. Now I understand, so I basically chain them up. Sorry for this question now: Why would I need the additional amp then since I have already one in place?
Or is the XBass feature on the Zen a better solution than increasing the bass on the SB G6?

Jun 24, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 21
It looks like the SoundblasterX has its own Command software including a bass boost.
https://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blasterx-g6

That's probably all you need, no extra hardware.

--------------------

When I was looking around for headphones in that $400 range I chose the Audio-Technica ATH-R70X, which I remain utterly delighted with. This review says they were basically built to one-up the Sennheiser HD650, and it lines up with my experience. Earcups do sit on my ears but with minimum pressure, and I wear glasses so that's usually tricky.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/6/17535412/audio-technica-r70x-review-professional-headphones

Thomann.de has competitive prices and a good return policy.

Jun 24, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #7 of 21
You can increase the SB G6 bass with an EQ program. The XBass+ with XSpace button options are more for convenience, but the Zen Air Can does provide a separate power option to your HD660S S2, providing a clearer sound.

Jun 24, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #8 of 21
It looks like the SoundblasterX has its own Command software including a bass boost.

--------------------

When I was looking around for headphones in that $400 range I chose the Audio-Technica ATH-R70X, which I remain utterly delighted with. This review says they were basically built to one-up the Sennheiser HD650, and it lines up with my experience. Earcups do sit on my ears but with minimum pressure, and I wear glasses so that's usually tricky.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/6/17535412/audio-technica-r70x-review-professional-headphones

Yeah, Creative is still complicated when it comes to their SB series.

Jun 24, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #9 of 21

--------------------

I have it installed and it works fine, but whenever things are advertised for "Gaming" i get suspicious about the actual quality of the product aka Gaming Headsets.
That is why I wanted to confirm if this is actually something that I can use to power higher impedance headphones or if it is more gimmicky.
Do you own the ATH-R70X? I am asking because the headband looks very fragile to me.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 21
You can increase the SB G6 bass with an EQ program. The XBass+ with XSpace button options are more for convenience, but the Zen Air Can does provide a separate power option to your HD660S S2, providing a clearer sound.
I have set the SB G6 in High Gain mode so there is a lot of headroom left. Right now sitting at max 50% volume.

Jun 24, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 21
Do you own the ATH-R70X? I am asking because the headband looks very fragile to me.
I have owned the ATH-R70X for more than a year and used them for hours nearly every day. The "wings" below the headband sit on your head; the slotted black headband is above them, up in the air. It is made of springy metal, not plastic. It expands its U-shape to fit your head, but does not twist.

I suppose if you wanted to destroy them you could, but you'd really have to work at it: put them in a vise and twist them viciously. In normal daily use, the ATH-R70X has been completely durable. Amazingly, so have the earpads, which are some kind of suede microfiber that I would have expected to eventually get worn out -- they're replaceable. But in a year's use, they are still like new, not frayed or faded at all.

They're made for extended studio use, and I can see why. Comfortable and not fragile at all.

Jun 25, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #12 of 21
I have owned the ATH-R70X for more than a year and used them for hours nearly every day. The "wings" below the headband sit on your head; the slotted black headband is above them, up in the air. It is made of springy metal, not plastic. It expands its U-shape to fit your head, but does not twist.

I suppose if you wanted to destroy them you could, but you'd really have to work at it: put them in a vise and twist them viciously. In normal daily use, the ATH-R70X has been completely durable. Amazingly, so have the earpads, which are some kind of suede microfiber that I would have expected to eventually get worn out -- they're replaceable. But in a year's use, they are still like new, not frayed or faded at all.

They're made for extended studio use, and I can see why. Comfortable and not fragile at all.
I went through the review and did some reserach.. Really interested in these now. From what i have read it seems that they could be very close to the 660S2 by how they compare to the 650. But then again I did not find too many comparisons.
Is there any way to get original replacement parts? I had that problem already with the X2 and was pretty disappointed that Philips did not provide them in any way. I tried some 3rd party pads then but unfortunately they changed the sound extremely to the worse.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #13 of 21
Yes, Audio-Technica makes replacement parts. Their website is not the best organized, but you can scroll down this page for replacement parts for ATH-R70X.
https://www.audio-technica.com/en-gb/support/buying-spare-parts/

There are also ATH-R70X pads by Brainwavz and Dekoni, but reports are that they change the sound. As I said, mine are going strong after more than a year.

Jun 25, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #14 of 21
I just bought the HD660S2 new for 400€ since Sennheiser had a discount going on.
They are running on a SoundblasterX G6. Is this even a good idea? All I know is, that it can power headphones up to 600 Ω so I thought this should be sufficient.

When manufacturers state "can power headphones up to xxxohms," in most cases that's kind of like how the BMW 518 or 520 or whatever exist as Munich cabs and lower cost options for people in Asian megacities with some but not a heck of a lot of money but you shouldn't really expect it to feel like driving an M5 despite having the same frame and body.

I am coming from a Fidelio X2 and mostly look for music/gaming open back headphones.
So far I tried the MMX300 but it immediately reminded me of the Beyer-Peak and why I returned them already a couple years ago.
The X2 packs a really heavy bassy punch but unfortunately the highs are very harsh and in direct comparison with the 660S2 they almost sound unbearable and I wonder how I managed all those years with the X2. Also the mids compared to the 660S2 are non-existent.

So far I like the 660S2 quite a lot, but they could use a LITTLE bit more bass. Else it sounds like a fun and exciting headphone to me.. not super neutral but that is totally fine for me.

Now I wonder if i might have missed any other suitable heaphone out there within the 400€ region that might also be worth a look.
I heard some good stuff about Hifiman XS and Sundara but it seems their QC seems to suck, so I am not sure if I want to pay money for something that MIGHT last more than 5 years. Additionally I have no idea how they can be compared against the 660S2.

This might not necessarily be a matter of power quantity or even outright quality (barring an outright bad amp), so be prepared for the possibility that a more powerful amp might not make as much of a difference as you expect, more so if no one has the same headphone and amp plus another amp to actually compare them to.

But if you're really willing to try another amp I'd say go with something like a Meier Jazz FF or Schiit Asgard3.

Jun 25, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #15 of 21
I went through the review and did some reserach.. Really interested in these now. From what i have read it seems that they could be very close to the 660S2 by how they compare to the 650. But then again I did not find too many comparisons.

When manufacturers state "can power headphones up to xxxohms," in most cases that's kind of like how the BMW 518 or 520 or whatever exist as Munich cabs and lower cost options for people in Asian megacities with some but not a heck of a lot of money but you shouldn't really expect it to feel like driving an M5 despite having the same frame and body.

This might not necessarily be a matter of power quantity or even outright quality (barring an outright bad amp), so be prepared for the possibility that a more powerful amp might not make as much of a difference as you expect, more so if no one has the same headphone and amp plus another amp to actually compare them to.

But if you're really willing to try another amp I'd say go with something like a Meier Jazz FF or Schiit Asgard3.
Thanks for your detailed answer. I can at least answer the cab situation in Munich. Majority is still Mercedes E-Class but since Uber is legal, there is a suspicious amount of Toyota Hybrids on the street :)

I agree that eventually I will have to test different AMPs just to get an idea of what differences they can make and what suits my ears.

I put some more time into listening to the 660S2 now. Music is great, but for gaming I miss a bit of soundstage or "airyness". Many things seem very up close/cramped and do not deliver a good impression of the space/environment I am in the game. It is just not very immersive imo.
Right now I have 2 other candidates on my list: Hifiman XS and the ATH-R70X.
Not sure if any of those two would be able to deliver a wider and deeper stage, while mantaining a decent level of bass?
I am not playing any FPS game, but mostly offline singleplayer so immersion is way more important than every detail or footsteps for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back