just received the fiio Andes e07k from a friend. looking for headphones to pair with it
Sep 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ThePope3290

100+ Head-Fier
right now I'm just using a stock HP pavillion laptop (which doesn't matter because of the dac, right?)
I also have the ATH M50
I mostly listen to hip hop so a good bass impact is nice. the amp will help with this, right?
my budget is $150
I've heard good things about Beyerdynamic dt770. not sure how many ohms to get.
what's the best matchup with the Andes?
thanks guys

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 13
right now I'm just using a stock HP pavillion laptop (which doesn't matter because of the dac, right?)
I also have the ATH M50
I mostly listen to hip hop so a good bass impact is nice. the amp will help with this, right?
my budget is $150
I've heard good things about Beyerdynamic DT770. not sure how many ohms to get.
what's the best matchup with the Andes?
thanks guys

So the ATH-M50 is not the right kind of bass you want?

Sep 7, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 13
ATH M50 has good bass but I was just wondering if there is a better pair of phones that can benefit more from the Andes
I know the ATH M50 is easy to drive which is why I'm looking for a little step up

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 13
I'm mostly wondering how many ohms is too much for the Andes? would 80 ohms or 250 ohms be better for this particular DAC/amp?

It can drive upto 150 Ohms headphones easily, depending on the Headphone sensitivity.  I've tried Fiio E07k on DT880 250 Ohms - drives them fine.

But would suggest getting DT770 32/80 Ohms for Fiio e07k.

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 13
if it drives 250 fine then why get the 32 or 80?

I'm actually considering the DT 880 250 ohm. I crank my music up pretty loud, will the e07k get the job done?

for reference, using my ATH M50 I have my e07k set to 6db at 45 volume

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 13
if it drives 250 fine then why get the 32 or 80?

I'm actually considering the DT 880 250 ohm. I crank my music up pretty loud, will the e07k get the job done?

for reference, using my ATH M50 I have my e07k set to 6db at 45 volume

note the dt880 are semi-open so sound leaks out. probably not the best choice for portable usage.

i think you are approaching this the wrong way. you usually want to find headphones with a sound signature you enjoy then look for an amp pairing. honestly for the sub-$200 price range headphones which budget sub-$100 amp you use hardly makes a difference. just the fact it is being amped is helpful. don't really need to worry about matching & don't need to just buy headphones with higher impedance since you have an amp. the impedance has no correlation with sound quality.

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #8 of 13
My ATH M50 sounds better than it ever has with this DAC. very happy with it

I guess I should've mentioned I would like to move on to a more neutral sounding phone..something more balanced overall but still bumps in the low end when turned up loud

the Beyerdynamic DT line seems like the next logical step..but I'm still trying to do some research on the differences between dt 770, dt 880, and the respective ohms

any opinions?

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 13
My ATH M50 sounds better than it ever has with this DAC. very happy with it

I guess I should've mentioned I would like to move on to a more neutral sounding phone..something more balanced overall but still bumps in the low end when turned up loud

the Beyerdynamic DT line seems like the next logical step..but I'm still trying to do some research on the differences between dt 770, dt 880, and the respective ohms

any opinions?

I don't think beyer would be your go to if trying to move into more neutral. I believe they either have v-shaped sound signatures or fatiguing treble or something, though I never really played with them & ppl here frown upon sound sig statements without real life experience, so don't take my comments too seriously.

Ohms has no effect on sound quality or sound signature.

What is your budget? Does noise isolation of open/closed matter to you?

If you have the money and want to get a classic open pair of fullsized headphones that require amping, Sen HD600/HD650 or the AKG Q701/K701/K702, 612 pro/k712 all are considered to be pretty audiophile in terms of neutralness and linearity. There are particularities of their sonic characteristics people here quibble about but you need to really just listen to yourself & make your own call. Significantly improved sound quality & amazing bass but not exactly neutral (upper mid recession & small treble spike) would be the HE-400, now $300 new or dirt cheap used.

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 13
my budget is around 250, preferably sub 200

what does the ATH M50 do better than the Beyerdynamics?

if the dt770 or dt880 has a bigger soundstage and more neutral sound than ATH m50, but still with some bump, I'll be happy

Sep 11, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #11 of 13
wow I thought the DT 880 was cheaper. $350 on official site

is it safe to buy used on Amazon? can find it for over 100 bucks cheaper on there

if Amazon is listed on Beyerdynamic's site, and the used product says "fulfilled by Amazon", then it's safe, right?

Sep 11, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #12 of 13
wow I thought the DT 880 was cheaper. $350 on official site

is it safe to buy used on Amazon? can find it for over 100 bucks cheaper on there

if Amazon is listed on Beyerdynamic's site, and the used product says "fulfilled by Amazon", then it's safe, right?

I've bought used Beyerdynamic headphones off Amazon a few times, they looked like brand new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back