Just received my K-501's!
Feb 16, 2004 at 12:14 PM Post #46 of 49
I thought that the smart dio's were modified to bring it down to 2V? Mine has not had this mod and runs at 9V... but I've never had problems using it with my PIMETA.

Feb 16, 2004 at 2:07 PM Post #47 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by BANGPOD
Riordan --

What types of music do you use/not use your K-501's for?
What do you personally like about the K-501s' signature?
Do you feel the non-impactful bass is a problem to your ears?
Do you feel that this "problem" is corrected with a better amp?

BANGPOD

bangpod - wish i had the definitive answer to your first question myself. i've started compiling a list of cds that work better with either, but there's no real result yet. for the most part of my collection, both work - it's more a matter of what i prefer at the time (soothing/energizing). if something is not so well recorded and sounds flat or worse, i grab the other phone. this happens with different albums of one and the same artist, so i suspect this has more to do with production than with style. one rule of thumb: if the production is clean, i mostly prefer akg. if it's dirty, grungy, noisy: beyer.

my musical diet mainly consists of rock in any shape and size (from mainstream to obscure, 70s to 00s), peppered with a little metal, seasoned with singer-songwriters (mostly of the female persuasion), some country / alt.country, loads of 80's indie pop and a bit of jazz (coltrane, davis) and classic (i just have to, living in mozart-land) on sundays...

the non-impactful bass is one thing i genuinely like about the k500, i don't see it as a problem. take yo la tengo, for example (if you know them... if you don't, take them anyway
smily_headphones1.gif
) - i'm with the band, not with the bass... on the other hand with metallica or grunge i really miss the bass and change to the beyers.

maybe the polite and unassuming bass gives more room to other instruments, they float, fly, soar... sigur ros on k500 is, uhm, like 17 different words for snow melting in the singer's mouth...

i'm afraid i'm no great help with the amp issue, as my experience there is very limited. my corda ha1 gives shape and tone to the bass the way i like it. i rather enjoy seeking out the bass line if i want to - and keeping it in the background if i don't.

Feb 16, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #49 of 49
Just had a quick look through this thread lads and have always wondered about the 501's,fancied trying a pair at some point but people saying their a little light in the bass area has put me off! has anyone had the chance to try them with the prehead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back