Just received my K-501's!
Feb 11, 2004 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

BANGPOD

1000+ Head-Fier
Head-fi'ers --

My AKG K-501's came today from fellow user, simonlondon!

I have only had a couple hours to hear them on my NEC CD-ROM, but I can already see the lush midrange (I listened to acoustic guitar on them, and it elegantly blooms before your eyes) and how unbelievably smooth it sounds. The soundstage is the WIDEST one I have ever heard... Not deepest. The Sennheiser's take my vote for deepest soundstage... But it is like a panoramic view of the music, ultra-wide with slightly above average depth... As I was listening straight out of the CD-ROM, the high's were harsh, strident, and pretty much unlistenable, but have no fear! My HR-2 will be here! Then, the AKG's will get a real test, but I don't expect anything short of amazing... As the HR-2, from what I read, is the best suited candidate from driving the K-501's, they will still be short of their potential with this amplifier.

Any other thoughts from K-501 users?
Do you guys agree with my impressions?

BANGPOD

Feb 11, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 49
I've alwatys read these cans were great for Classical, would be itnerested to hear how they fare with other types of music.

So many cans get labeled with a certain genre of music, the nagging part of me just doesn't like that.

Scott

Feb 11, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 49
I am very very happy with mine, but they really need a good (=powerful) amp to sound their best.
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Feb 11, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by scottder
I've alwatys read these cans were great for Classical, would be itnerested to hear how they fare with other types of music.

So many cans get labeled with a certain genre of music, the nagging part of me just doesn't like that.

Scott

Scott --

Let me tell you this: after owning a pair of ER-4's for over five months now, the AKG K-501's are, in essence, a harder to drive ER-4S in open-phone form with a much wider soundstage and equal depth. The only thing you lose with the K-501, I feel at this point, is a little bit of detail and resolution (compared to the ER-4S, the K-501's are still superior in detail to most other phones).

If you love the ER-4S, you will equally love the K-501.
I will post more impressions on them when my HR-2 comes.

I will try them with all different types of music to see if that is true...
But I will post my honest impressions, I too want to see what they can do!

Quote:

Originally posted by Nisbeth
I am very very happy with mine, but they really need a good (=powerful) amp to sound their best.
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Nisbeth --

That's what I hear... That's why I bought them, because I already have an Emmeline HR-2 on the way... Ray Samuels told me himself that he thinks the HR-2 is more than enough juice to power the K-501's... I can't wait to hear the amp with this pair of phones... THe K-501's, I feel, are extremely underrated on this board, and when people try them, the phones just don't have enough juice to sound as good as they are capable of. They are extremely power-hungry phones and I will be suprised if there is ever an amp that is capable of drawing all the quality out of them...

BANGPOD

Feb 11, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by scottder

IMHO they lack the necessary slam/drive/aggression most people want for hard rock or electronic music, but with the genres I normally listen to ("softer"/"smoother" pop, rock and instrumental), they are great. They are definately not bass heavy, but the lack of weight is less apparent (and less of a problem) with a decent amp and "softer" music.

IMHO, the most obvious comparision is to a pair of high-end standmounted speakers. They play exceptionally well but they will not rock the house the way a pair of large floorstanders can.
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Feb 11, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 49
can anyone compair these to the akg k271 studios?

I have been considering picking up a pair for home use so that I can explore the joy that is open headphones
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #7 of 49
Quote:

IMHO they lack the necessary slam/drive/aggression most people want for hard rock or electronic music, but with the genres I normally listen to ("softer"/"smoother" pop, rock and instrumental), they are great. They are definately not bass heavy, but the lack of weight is less apparent (and less of a problem) with a decent amp and "softer" music.

IMHO, the most obvious comparision is to a pair of high-end standmounted speakers. They play exceptionally well but they will not rock the house the way a pair of large floorstanders can.
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Nisbeth --

For the most part I agree with you, but I also agree with scottder in some respects.

I feel that 90% of headphones are not genre-specific.
But for the 10% of other headphones, it indeed holds true.

People who say the HD-650 is meant only for jazz and classical are uninformed.
People who say that Grado's are meant only for hard rock are uninformed.

But to say that hard rock is not a strong point of the ER-4S is somewhat substantial.

HD-650's have the detail up top, when driven properly, to make hard rock sound impressive. Grado's have the bass and low level detail to satisfy classical and jazz ensembles. But saying that the HD-650 is better than Grado for jazz and classical has actual evidence, and vice versa, in comparison to the blind statements that some people make. But, the ER-4S and the K-501 do not have enough bass to satisfy even the softest of hard rockers. Not that this is a stereotype, it is just that there are better choices out there. I bought the ER-4S for its clarity, detail, and resolution, and it has more than paid me back for my investment. In comparison, it's not that other headphones don't compare to the ER-4S in this respect, it's simply the fact that the ER-4S holds the throne in my views. The only thing that could make the ER-4S the perfect headphone now, in my case, is a little more bass. I hope a more powerful amp will do the trick for me. I am not going against anything you said, I am just clarifying it and stating that there are some exceptions, integrating scottder's views into this.

But many people out there have headphones all wrong.
I just wanted to expand upon something that I, too, thought about.

Thanks,
BANGPOD

Do you understand where I am going with this?

Feb 12, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Obvious as it may be, I hadn't thought of it before. Great analogy!

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Feb 12, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #9 of 49
i used to own a pair and if not amped properly - it could be harsh .
it reveals a lot out of the source too and recordings as well .
the bass on this is a bit lacking on ok amps but if you use a really good amp - you might just find the right balance.

Feb 12, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 49
I am using my K-501 with a corda head amp 2 and find the combination to be very satisfactory. With the proper amplification the bass is there, clear but not overpowering. The sound is well balanced (neutral). These headphones are truly underrated.

I too do not believe that these phones should be restricted to a particular musical genre(classical or jazz). I listen to a lot of jazz but also r+b/funk and rock. I recently got James Brown live at the appollo volume 2, and it sounds great with the 501 because the band is so tight and the sound crisp. I listen to a lot of Stevie Wonder, and the 501s really bring out the complexity and texture of the music.

They are unforgiving for low quality recordings.

Feb 12, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #11 of 49
I thought the 501's beat all the Senns and Grados for soundstage. I only let mine go because the K1000 have even more of the same. Very comfortable to wear too. The sound has more "air" than Senns and Grados which is good for some recordings, not so good for others IMO.
These are definitely "audiophile" cans!

Feb 12, 2004 at 6:47 AM Post #12 of 49
I really loved my K 501, but even with the Emmeline HR-2, I could never find the sound I was looking for. The K 501 sounded like an HD 580 with a wider soundstage and better midrange (and slightly smoother treble), but it always sounded somewhat "hollow," as if I was hearing the silhouette of the sound. I let them go to their true home, the creator of the HR-2 himself, Ray Samuels! Still, when I listen to Beethoven's Late String Quartets I really do miss my K 501 (but then I listen to some Led Zeppelin and I don't feel so bad about lettin' 'em go
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:06 AM Post #13 of 49
You ain't heard nuthin, yet.

That NEC is seriously underpowered for the task of powering the 501's.

In fact, some would argue that the HR-2's not powerful enough. Some amps(you're stuck with headphone amps here) that have good synergy with the K1000, work well with the 501's.

I believe it was Kwkarth that really liked the 501's with his AKG SAC K1000 Amp. I know gerG modified his to be able to use 1/4" plugs too, but I don't remember if he tried them with the 501. I have a 1/4" adapter with mine, but I've never had the chance to listen to the 501's.

Perhaps someone will bring one to a meet sometime.

-Ed

Feb 12, 2004 at 12:13 PM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
You ain't heard nuthin, yet.

That NEC is seriously underpowered for the task of powering the 501's.

-Ed

Edwood --

What do you mean by these statements?
From your words, I cannot find your intent.
biggrin.gif

I'm not doubting you; however, I need clarification...

BANGPOD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back