Just received my K-501's!
Feb 12, 2004 at 12:32 PM Post #16 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by BANGPOD
Edwood --

What do you mean by these statements?
From your words, I cannot find your intent.
biggrin.gif

I'm not doubting you; however, I need clarification...

BANGPOD

are you powering them directly out of the NEC? cause in my eyes that's insane. personally i wouldn't use anything less than an MG head or else the sound just becomes way too thin for me to stand. like shafu i'd really like to hear a k501/RKV setup someday.

but it's good to hear k501 fans out there. i was wondering what happened. my rs-1s are still my 1st string but sometimes when i'm going all night 10+ hours to cram for midterms, listening fatigue and supraaural discomfort can get to me. enter k501s which i find suit everything i listen to but hip-hop and the more house-sounding side of electronica. but for what i listen to from rock, indie, classical, jazz, and the more ambient side of electronica, k501s work great for me. when i think of words to describe the sound, the one that keeps coming to mind is "sweet".

Feb 12, 2004 at 1:37 PM Post #17 of 49
usc goose --

Nah, I'm not that insane
smily_headphones1.gif

In about 4 days I will be using this: NEC Multispin 6Xe -> Magwire Originals -> Muse 2 Plus DAC -> Magwire Originals -> Emmeline HR-2 (AD-797's) -> AKG K-501's.

I hope my system will be up to the task of driving the K-501's...
What do you think about this, usc goose?

BANGPOD

Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
are you powering them directly out of the NEC? cause in my eyes that's insane. personally i wouldn't use anything less than an MG head or else the sound just becomes way too thin for me to stand. like shafu i'd really like to hear a k501/RKV setup someday.

but it's good to hear k501 fans out there. i was wondering what happened. my rs-1s are still my 1st string but sometimes when i'm going all night 10+ hours to cram for midterms, listening fatigue and supraaural discomfort can get to me. enter k501s which i find suit everything i listen to but hip-hop and the more house-sounding side of electronica. but for what i listen to from rock, indie, classical, jazz, and the more ambient side of electronica, k501s work great for me. when i think of words to describe the sound, the one that keeps coming to mind is "sweet".

Feb 12, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

usc goose --

Nah, I'm not that insane
smily_headphones1.gif

In about 4 days I will be using this: NEC Multispin 6Xe -> Magwire Originals -> Muse 2 Plus DAC -> Magwire Originals -> Emmeline HR-2 (AD-797's) -> AKG K-501's.

I hope my system will be up to the task of driving the K-501's...
What do you think about this, usc goose?

BANGPOD

sounds like a dream system to me. :where's my k501
smily_headphones1.gif
?:

i was just clarifying what it might be that edwood was saying in that post of his you put up earlier. i'm humbly using a d50->mg head otl-h->k501 for my bedside system and a optimus3400->art dio->meta42->rs-1 for my main system. luckily for me, med school keeps me out of here for the most part which really keeps upgraditus at bay.

Feb 12, 2004 at 2:03 PM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

sounds like a dream system to me. :where's my k501
smily_headphones1.gif
?:

usc goose --

Are you being sarcastic? I can't really tell... LOL.
I know there are some weakpoints in my system...

But you don't have to be so mean about it...
biggrin.gif

But seriously, hah, how do you feel about my system?
Will it be able to take up the task of driving the K-501's?

BANGPOD

Feb 12, 2004 at 2:03 PM Post #20 of 49
bangpod, i fully agree with your assessment of the k501 as

out-of-ear-etys
smily_headphones1.gif

their sound is weightless, airy, the bass can't be felt but has to be heard (it doesn't go as deep as etys' bass, but i rarely miss this).

there's neither listening nor wearing fatigue, both phones seem to disappear after awhile and leave you with the music.

for some rock cds i have to switch to the beyer 880s - some music just works better with a little less soundstage and more bass, i guess.

Feb 12, 2004 at 2:21 PM Post #21 of 49
Quote:

usc goose --

Are you being sarcastic? I can't really tell... LOL.
I know there are some weakpoints in my system...

i do that a lot. people aren't sure whether i'm being sincere or sarcastic and i don't know why. maybe it's because i'm usually pretty liberal with compliments and praise and people aren't used to that. or something.

seriously, that does sound like a dream system to me. did you read what i'm using at the moment? i was doing serious thinking about upgrading to an Emmeline hr-2 for a while and since i started using a separate transport and DAC i've been pretty curious about the Muse 2.

if i'm happy with my art dio and meta42 (ad843) i'm thinking your impending system will be fantastic.

Feb 12, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #22 of 49
Quote:

seriously, that does sound like a dream system to me. did you read what i'm using at the moment? i was doing serious thinking about upgrading to an Emmeline hr-2 for a while and since i started using a separate transport and DAC i've been pretty curious about the Muse 2.

usc goose --

Have you read that article on Positive Feedback?
The one about the NEC CD-ROM paired with a MUSE 2 DAC?

The reviewer can be trusted and is right on, AFAIK.

I got the MUSE 2 PLUS, which is a maxed out MUSE 2 DAC.
It also has an HDCD (Bessel) Filter, so you can listen to HDCD.
I love HDCD, so getting the 2 PLUS was an important move.

It is nothing short of fantastic and rivals sources costing 1000's of dollars. The reviewer felt the NEC/MUSE had noticably better bass but, in comparison to the Opus, the treble was slightly strident. The reviewer also felt the NEC/MUSE was a much better buy because the strident treble was smoothed over when paired with a high-end amp. IME, the Art DI/O sounds a little more digital-like and is slightly harsh compared to the smooth, almost jazzy MUSE 2 DAC. Also, the MUSE 2 is built with longevity in mind, as it is the size of a full size CD player and has its own power supply built in. Also, power is extremely important in a system. The CD-ROM, DAC, and HR-2 all have their own personalized power supplies, making for more authority and a better ability to do its job: to satisfy me.
biggrin.gif

In my opinion, usc goose, do this:

NEC CD-ROM (CDR-602) -> Magwires RCA to BNC -> MUSE 2 DAC (plus if you like HDCD) -> Magwires RCA to RCA's -> Emmeline HR-2...

The NEC/MUSE puts up an extremely good fight against players costing thousands of dollars and we all know how good the HR-2 is. If you ever decide to get R-10's, you won't even have to buy a new amp. The above system, with the MUSE 2 PLUS instead, will be finished in 3 days when I receive my HR-2 and Magwire Original IC's. I will give you all of my impressions when I hear it, and recommend that you start saving up because this will be killer.

Keep in touch, usc goose,
BANGPOD

Feb 12, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #23 of 49
bangpod... have you had a chance to try out an art di/o or a smart di/o? I'm wondering how they stack up against this MUSE 2 DAC that you have. As you can see below, I have a fairly similar setup and am very happy with it... go team NEC CDR!!!
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #24 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by philodox
bangpod... have you had a chance to try out an art di/o or a smart di/o? I'm wondering how they stack up against this MUSE 2 DAC that you have. As you can see below, I have a fairly similar setup and am very happy with it... go team NEC CDR!!!
biggrin.gif

I have personally heard the $385.00 smART-modded DI/O DAC from BolderCables.
It wasn't a very fair comparison though, as the Muse 2 PLUS is about $600.00 USED.

I felt it was overly digital-sounding and harsh in comparison.
Not that it is digital-like or harsh overall, just in comparison, it is.
The Muse 2 Plus was silky smooth and flowed extremely well.

But as I said before, it wasn't a fair fight.
The Muse 2 Plus was bound to win.
biggrin.gif

It has more valued parts to throw around.

But jazz and classical lovers will like its smoothness and lushness.
Listeners of trance and hard rock will like the smART's perceived detail.

Again, I am slightly biased because I couldn't be happier.
biggrin.gif

You make your own judgement, but if you have the money...
The Muse 2 Plus will blow away the smART DI/O, but...
What about a MENSA DI/O compared to the MUSE 2 PLUS?

THAT would be a GREAT matchup!

BANGPOD

Feb 12, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #25 of 49
that would be an interesting compairison...

I think that a better route for me might be to move from solid state to tubes for my home amp... that might help with the digital harshness of the art di/o... but for now I'm not complaining... ignorance is bliss
cool.gif

Until I hear any of the alternatives, my system is the best sounding one on earth... lol, this meet next weekend is going to kill me...
frown.gif

Feb 12, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

I think that a better route for me might be to move from solid state to tubes for my home amp... that might help with the digital harshness of the art di/o... but for now I'm not complaining... ignorance is bliss
cool.gif

Philodox --

When I say digital harshness... Do you know where I am coming from?
I mean if you don't hear what I heard, all the power to you! You're happy!

If you don't agree with me, please, feel free to prove me wrong.
I like heatedly debating audio statutes... I do like it... REALLY!

But seriously, if you feel differently, please explain to me why.
Maybe my ears aren't as good as I thought they were...
biggrin.gif

BANGPOD

Feb 12, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #27 of 49
truthfully I dont hear it... but you have to understand that I dont have much to compair it to... moving from listening on my computer or MP3 player or integrated home stereo to my new home headphone setup has been absolute bliss...

that said, I should be trying out some new stuff at the meet next weekend in Waterloo [assuming its still on] and I will finally have some other equipment to test alongside my setup... I am both looking forward to this and dreading it as it may send me into upgraditis mode again
rolleyes.gif

PS. I bought some top ramen noodles... and while they dont taste bad... mmmm, msg... I dont think you can survive on them alone... oh well, at least when you collapse you will at least be happy and wearing some killer headphones
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

PS. I bought some top ramen noodles... and while they dont taste bad... mmmm, msg... I dont think you can survive on them alone... oh well, at least when you collapse you will at least be happy and wearing some killer headphones
wink.gif

Top Ramen is unbelievable -- I have an msg-free version sold by my house!
How amazing is that? All of the good stuff and none of the bad to hurt me!

Top Ramen > KGSS + Omega II
wink.gif

Subway > Top Ramen, though!
biggrin.gif

Anyways...

Quote:

truthfully I dont hear it... but you have to understand that I dont have much to compair it to... moving from listening on my computer or MP3 player or integrated home stereo to my new home headphone setup has been absolute bliss...

That's MY BOY! Damn straight it's absolute bliss! Don't worry, it gets even better!
biggrin.gif

Euphoria and psycho-acoustics, the best things since Bose's stock value went down.
wink.gif

When I hear my new system in a couple of days, I hope I don't faint or go into a coma...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Have fun with your toys,
BANGPOD

Feb 12, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #29 of 49
Welcome to team AKG!
smily_headphones1.gif

philodox, I would'nt be quick to dismiss the DI/O. It's a tempermental little beast. It's sensitive to power, the digital cable, and the source. When you have it tamed, it's amazing. Most people don't bother so they upgrade to a better source. A lot of budget users usually don't have power conditioning and better cords nor source to really bring it out.

--Lan

Feb 12, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Welcome to team AKG!
smily_headphones1.gif

philodox, I would'nt be quick to dismiss the DI/O. It's a tempermental little beast. It's sensitive to power, the digital cable, and the source. When you have it tamed, it's amazing. Most people don't bother so they upgrade to a better source. A lot of budget users usually don't have power conditioning and better cords nor source to really bring it out.

--Lan

Hey!
biggrin.gif

I never said he should dismiss the smART-modded DI/O.
I simply stated that it is bested by the MUSE 2 PLUS DAC.

Word up,
BANGPOD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back