Just received [...] iGrados
Sep 19, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #136 of 143
The bass is nice and punchy and deep but not bloated on my 3G haven't tried my 5G yet. It is also this way on my D-EJ2000 unamped. I was listening to the song James by the Pat Metheny Group and Steve Rodby on bass was amazing with the iGrado's.
Also I have been wearing them for 3 hours straight with no problems. I hate
behind the head bands but the iGrados are just so comfy.

Sep 19, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #137 of 143
This is really great news. I have always enjoyed the KSC 35's with the iPod. Not the most accurate headphone in the world but they sure are fun, sound wonderful, are easily powered by the iPod and with the iPod's rather linear output, it mated well with the 35's plump bass. I'm pleased to read that the Grados fair well with them as I am anticipating a Nano/iGrado combo.

Sep 19, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #138 of 143
Zanth,
I love my PortaPro 2's straight out of the ipod but these new iGrado's are better and more durable IMO.
IMO they are better than the PX100 I have heard and my K26p's as well as my DT990's. The only knock I have
is that with my Hornet the bass gets a bit bloated. I guess this is a good excuse to go light weight.
There are pluses and minuses to all headphones but in the end the iGrado's are just really great fun
and I do not mind their "avant-garde" appearance.

I use to have SR40's before the cable broke. I loved these
above all other portable headphones (other than IEM) and have missed them dearly . So I say to the my new
iGrado's "Welcome back old friend!"

Sep 19, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #139 of 143
zatara: this is great news! One thing that has bothered me about the 35's is that they are very fragile. I'm aware of the life-time warranty Koss provides but the fact is...with very mild and gentle use, I've had to replace 3 pairs already. They sound awesome but otherwise are pretty crappy. These iGrados have been what I have been looking for (or at least I hope they are) for a very long time. Excellent sound in an ergonomic form with solid build. The perfect mobile phone particularly for running.

Sep 19, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #140 of 143
I think il keep my modded SR-60's for the comfortable out-and-about phones. These i-grado's look cheap and tacky.

Time to relagate HF-1's to home rig only.

Sep 20, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #141 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
This is really great news. I have always enjoyed the KSC 35's with the iPod. Not the most accurate headphone in the world but they sure are fun, sound wonderful, are easily powered by the iPod and with the iPod's rather linear output, it mated well with the 35's plump bass. I'm pleased to read that the Grados fair well with them as I am anticipating a Nano/iGrado combo.

I think you would be very happy with the iGrado on all of the criteria you mention in your last few posts Zanth. Mine just arrived today and they are getting their inaugural listen right now straight out of my 5G iPod. The fit is great and very secure--unless you have a tiny head these things should stay on and in place depending how you position the band. The sound is great on a first listen with zero burn-in, and I think it will kick butt on the KSC35/75, which I also like for what they are. They have much more "body" to them than 35s. Grado just does guitars right, so that is a given. The sound is petty natural overall--not tinny or hollow--and the bass is nice and full but not bloated or muddy on my first few songs' worth of listening (TP&HBs, Toumani Diabate, Portishead--ok, a little bloated but it comes with the territory, Bill Evans, Bebo & Cigala). Give them a shot!

And to the secret-swivel-conspiracy-theorists: they don't swivel, ok!?

Sep 20, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #142 of 143
It is a conspiracy! They want you to think they do, so you try so hard that you snap it...thus you have to buy another pair to try it again!
wink.gif

In all seriousness, thanks Voltron for the 35/75 comparison.

Bleh, now I don't know if I should blow my cash on an iGrado or a new Nano.

Sep 20, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #143 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by zatara
I use to have SR40's before the cable broke. I loved these
above all other portable headphones (other than IEM) and have missed them dearly . So I say to the my new
iGrado's "Welcome back old friend!"

I have a pair of SR40s with a broken cable as well. I agree that the sound is very similar. FYI: I wrote to Grado once and they said they would fix the cans for $20. I've been meaning to do this but I'm just too lazy.

I've compared the iGrados to the KSC-35. I think I still prefer the KSC-35 sound but only slightly. The Koss's seemed to be slightly tipped towards the bright side, although still not a bright phone, compared to the the iGrado. The 35s also have a bit better soundstage. However, the iGrado sound is nice and the comfort and convenience of the design is way better than those clip on earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back