Just purchased the DAC-Extasy - Dumb move?
Apr 16, 2010 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dynasonic

Head-Fier
I am now wating on my first DAC to arrive. I went with the DAC-Extasy from HotAudio and I am starting to question my decision mainly because it is USB only. I am starting to wish I had purchased something with a spdif connection but the only thing that was in my price range was the uDAC and I am not drinking the uDAC koolaid just yet. Has anyone heard a DAC-Extasy or does anyone own one? Am I an idiot for trying this DAC?

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dynasonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am now wating on my first DAC to arrive. I went with the DAC-Extasy from HotAudio and I am starting to question my decision mainly because it is USB only. I am starting to wish I had purchased something with a spdif connection but the only thing that was in my price range was the uDAC and I am not drinking the uDAC koolaid just yet. Has anyone heard a DAC-Extasy or does anyone own one? Am I an idiot for trying this DAC?

Having tried several Hotaudio products (haven't tried Extasy however) I at least expect that you will get your money's worth, possibly more. It's all up to your preferences at the end, though.

Apr 17, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 10
ya gotta start somewhere, right?
wink.gif

i started with the keces da-151, which is usb only.
and i've been perfectly happy with it...
for me personally, the spdif connection would have been more trouble than its worth for the (small?) improvement in sound... what, with needing a usb-to-spdif converter, etc.

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #5 of 10
No, not an idiot.
It might have been worthwhile to do a bit more research before buying though, instead of asking after you have placed the order.
wink.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 10
FWIW, I've had my DAC Extasy for 3 days and it is running via the RCA's thru an amp and then to my phones, either 45 ohm Shure 840's or vintage Beyerdynamic 300 ohmers. I prefer the SQ from the Shures with good bass and midrange. The Beyers have a bit of sizzle and some vocal syballants (sp?) but this may improve with more burn-in as Hotaudio recommends. Overall, there is no detectable compiter noise with either set of cans regardless of whether I use the amp or only the built in phone out. And that's a big improvement for me. Good luck.

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, not an idiot.
It might have been worthwhile to do a bit more research before buying though, instead of asking after you have placed the order.
wink.gif

yea but ill bet even if more research had been done the question still wouldve come up. like me every time i buy something lol

i am very interested to get the ffirst impressions on this baby.

im either gettin it or musiland 01us dac or udac or dr dac or fubar 4 plus, really cant decide, i know if i get somethin fancy ill only be usin the usb on it, as i just run toslink into my old audio technica amp/dac anbd out to my lisa,,,, i would be game for trading in the AT ha25 d amp/dac(amp meh, dac very versatile) only it has toslink passthru and an rca in and out not just out, lots of equipment that need a feed.

i was also checkin out the hifman small tube usb amps and theyre a6000 mk ii i think,, not sure but i like my equipment small.

any suggestions or experience with any of these,, too many choices argh!

ive also contemplated grace, dac magic, and number one on list is benchmarc dac 1, oh how i wish one of them had a tsolink or coaxial passthru, benchmarc being the smallest i think is badass, but had been leanin toward grace which is also a looker. ah but not even sure if their usb's have 24/96.

Apr 24, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dynasonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i cant wait to hear your first impressions,,,, have anything to compare her too?

cheers

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #9 of 10
I have both uDAC and Extasy, nothing more expansive. Extasy sound more neutral than uDAC which is really warm. however Extasy does not have any form of volume control so it is outrageously loud on its headphone out. even SRH840 will make you deaf. I do not have amp so I use a radioshack volume control between headphone and Extasy. Extasy without amp and volume control have very noticeable noise which is the same in uDAC when volume turn to the max with sensitive/easy to drive phone. for those who got Extasy do yourself a favor, don't use it with IEM/easy to drive phone without amp or volume control. other wise it sound good.

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea but ill bet even if more research had been done the question still wouldve come up. like me every time i buy something lol

That might be.
But in that case the op could have ordered a different DAC, depending on the replies. While now (s)he is more locked down to the unit ordered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back