Just purchased Schiit Lyr and Bifrost!
Jun 28, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:
I use my IEM's with the Lyr/Bifrost combo.  With your IEM's disconnected and the volume knob at zero.  Power on the Lyr, wait 20 seconds, connect IEM, adjust volume to taste.

I'd still love to know what you did to your power supply to get the Lyr so quiet as to be happy with Denons and IEMs! :) Not with any of my tubes at present (Mullard CV2492, Tungsram PCC88, National PCC88, GE 6BZ7) have I found it quiet enough to be happy with anything that sensitive.   The Mullards are the quietest of the bunch, and almost listenable, but not ideal.  It's not Lyr's fault, just the nature of sensitive headphones with high gain tube amps.  But you have a magic Lyr that has no real noise for sensitive headphones.  You may want to get that thing cryo-treated
rolleyes.gif

To the original question though, it shouldn't fry them, you may just hear a lot of background noise.  Tube pending I hear anything from an uneven buzz/hiss to random crackling like you're hearing every stray electron bouncing around the tubes
biggrin.gif
  It's worth a try, maybe you have magic tubes that are as quiet as Ropes!

Jul 2, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #17 of 28
I second that comment.  The Lyr is a superb little amp driving my HD 800s and HiFi Man H500's.
you will rock and jazz your head out with depth and detail.

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #19 of 28
very interesting thread, as I am looking to upgrade my overall experience, I currently own the dragonyfly>o2 amp >q701's. This bifrost/lyr combo has intrigued me quite a bit, I found that my q701's have gained a huge boost in bass and imaging from the dragonfly/o2 amp combo. should I stick with what I got and look to other headphones(hd650/he-400/ah-d600) to complement my music needs or take a serious look into the bifrost/lyr as an upgrade then get another Headphone.   

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:
I second that comment.  The Lyr is a superb little amp driving my HD 800s and HiFi Man H500's.
you will rock and jazz your head out with depth and detail.

How is the bass definition? The strength of tube amps is its ability to smooth out hot treble but lacking in bass department. I know Lyr is a hybrid but does it suffer from this typical tube weakness?

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #22 of 28
I've had the Lyr (and bifrost) for about a year now, and do not miss bass definition in any significant way.  I actually prefer the bass in my HD800s to the beguiling bass of the HE 500's through the Lyr. I rediscovered a remarkable bass sound through the Lyr while listening to Avishai Cohen's "Continuo". 

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #24 of 28
Congrats!  I'm running the same stack!

Now go check out the Lyr tube rolling thread, a LOT of great info on how you can improve the sound of your Lyr even more!

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #25 of 28
I have the bifrost with the Valhalla and 702 so very similar stack.  I have been trying to use it with my ipad.   When I do it freezes the ipad and then requires a hard boot to turn it back on.    Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Dec 5, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #26 of 28
I'm considering getting the Lyr to give more smoothness to the treble of my Q701s and a contrast to my solid state amp for my preferred HD650s. Is this a good idea? Must I add a Bifrost to get the best results? Should I consider the Valhalla instead? This is for classical music, currently oscillating between Schubert lieder, Wagner, Mahler with an admixture of Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen. Thanks for your wisdom in advance!

Jan 9, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #27 of 28
  I'm considering getting the Lyr to give more smoothness to the treble of my Q701s and a contrast to my solid state amp for my preferred HD650s. Is this a good idea? Must I add a Bifrost to get the best results? Should I consider the Valhalla instead? This is for classical music, currently oscillating between Schubert lieder, Wagner, Mahler with an admixture of Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen. Thanks for your wisdom in advance!

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #28 of 28
I got the Lyr, btw. A wonderful match with the HD650s. Currently preferring the Siemens E88CC and E288CC tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back