Just ordered the Micro Stack
May 6, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #16 of 57
I'd also like to hear your thoughts on comparing the 2006 Total Bithead to the Microstack. Once you've got enough hours of listening to make a fair comparison of course.

May 6, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #17 of 57
I will definitely do a comparison and share the results.

Thanks Bones for the attempt to save me a couple of bucks, but it's a hopeless cause if I am going to get better sound from an optical cable==looks like I'll be getting another sound card. ( I had an Audigy, but already gave it to my son and since I need him to take care of me when I'm old, I better not take it back)(anyway, the Audigy was so buggy that I have my doubts whether it would deliver a pure digital signal ).
580smile.gif

May 6, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #18 of 57
Is the HeadRoom Micro a good amp for either the K701 or DT880, for a detail freak such as me?
wink.gif
I've been wanting to upgrade my amp situation and have been looking at various "home" transportable amps including the Portaphile V2^2 Maxed, Hornet, SR-71, LaRocco PRII, AE-1, Gilmore Lite, etc. How does the HeadRoom Micro compare against the likes of those other amps?

May 6, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #19 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Is the HeadRoom Micro a good amp for either the K701 or DT880, for a detail freak such as me?
wink.gif
I've been wanting to upgrade my amp situation and have been looking at various "home" transportable amps including the Portaphile V2^2 Maxed, Hornet, SR-71, LaRocco PRII, AE-1, Gilmore Lite, etc. How does the HeadRoom Micro compare against the likes of those other amps?

I can't compare, but I can say that I loved the 701 out of the MicroAmp at the National Meet. However, it was difficult to tell how detailed they were with all the noise. Nevertheless, a nice combo.

May 6, 2006 at 10:32 AM Post #20 of 57
I use the microstack with akg 701s. I am only through day 11 of the burn in so I am still only about 75% there. In any case, the detail is so crystal clear it
actually can cause you to sit up straight at times. There are instrument riffs I have never heard in years of listening with Senn 595s through the stack. This is some fabulous combination.

May 7, 2006 at 1:15 PM Post #22 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sethie
How portable is the Micro Stack? Seen the pics on Headroom, but seems abit too big for portable use...

It is more of a transportable than portable. If you want something to carry with you all the time and that it is of high quality I would look into: HeadAmp AE-1, Dr. Xin's SuperMacro III Ver. 6, The Hornet, or the SR-71. Good luck.

May 13, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #23 of 57
Just received my MicroDAC the other day. MicroAmp should be here soon. Today is the first chance I've had to use the DAC.

Wow.

I'm only using the usb input because I haven't had a chance to get an optical cable.

But, still, wow.

The current setup is imac-->MicroDAC-->Pimeta-->HF-1. I expected an overall improvement, but I didn't expect more "life." The MicroDAC is just making things sound more vibrant. Better separation, less congestion, lots of detail. I can't wait to test with the H120. So far, I am really, really pleased.

EDIT: It's also pretty unforgiving.
eek.gif
cool.gif

May 13, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #24 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sethie
How portable is the Micro Stack? Seen the pics on Headroom, but seems abit too big for portable use...

The Micro Stack bag does make it much less of a burden to carry around, with your portable player, but it's still one of the larger portable solutions.

May 13, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #25 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
When testing the Maxed out Desktop configuration, even with the reclocking and upsampling of the Max DAC, the jitter was measured by Stereophile to be a factor of 3 higher when using the USB out rather than optical output from the same computer (~200ps for optical versus ~600ps for USB). It should be noted that that is NOT the fault of the DAC itself, and a limitation of the USB interface for digital audio transmission.

I noticed same thing, I use my modded MicroDAC with Maxed-Out -Home Amp, I can feel the sound quality is little bit better when using TOSLINK.

May 13, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #27 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
In what way is your Micro DAC 'modded', and by whom?

Replaced the AD822 with OPA2134 chip. Compare OPA2134 in MicroDAC to the stock AD822, it sound more clear,fast with more details, but this kills the battery life, so not good for portable use.

May 13, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by applegd
Replaced the AD822 with OPA2134 chip. Compare OPA2134 in MicroDAC to the stock AD822, it sound more clear,fast with more details, but this kills the battery life, so not good for portable use.

So basically you turned it into the Desktop DAC...

From the modules, I agree that the 2134 is a better sounding opamp, particularly in the highs.

May 13, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #29 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by applegd
Replaced the AD822 with OPA2134 chip.

Nice mod. You must be handy with a soldering iron. Those chips are pretty small. I grant you a one year extention on your warrenty. Show this post if anything should come up.

(It's a pretty good bet really. He'll probably just fix it if something pops.
eggosmile.gif
)

May 14, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #30 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
Nice mod. You must be handy with a soldering iron. Those chips are pretty small. I grant you a one year extention on your warrenty. Show this post if anything should come up.

(It's a pretty good bet really. He'll probably just fix it if something pops.
eggosmile.gif
)

Thumbs up!! That's why Headroom made me bought MOH and MicroDAC. I am a very happy customer...
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back