Just ordered the Micro Stack
May 14, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #31 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by applegd
Thumbs up!! That's why Headroom made me bought MOH and MicroDAC. I am a very happy customer...
600smile.gif

Feel like putting 627's in my Desktop DAC...?
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #32 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Feel like putting 627's in my Desktop DAC...?
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

He won't be able to do that no matter how good he solders. The 627 is one op amp per chip the rest are duals. That's why the Max module boards are bigger.

As I type this I realise you probably know all that.

May 14, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #33 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
He won't be able to do that no matter how good he solders. The 627 is one op amp per chip the rest are duals. That's why the Max module boards are bigger.

My friend Tyll, I'm sorry to tell you that none of your DAC's except for the Micro use dual opamps. You use the 2*134's (not 1*2134) in the Desktop, and the 627s in the Home and Max. The Desktop and Home share the exact same mainboard, with the Home having 627's and two extra constant current sources. The Max DAC is longer, but not wider, to accommodate the extra upsampling section, however shares the same output stage as the Home DAC...

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

May 14, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #34 of 57
See! There you go, the reason that bringing hobbyists into the picture is so important is they love to keep track of the details....well, the good hobbyists anyway.

eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

May 14, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #35 of 57
Quote:

See! There you go, the reason that bringing hobbyists into the picture is so important is they love to keep track of the details....well, the good hobbyists anyway.

eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

TheSloth + Tyll Hertsens + anything Headroom = Why I love Head-Fi forums and HeadRoom as a company.

icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Thanks Tyll. You, your website, and everyone at HeadRoom make all the super-techie stuff super accessible to tech-idiots like me.

Don't forget. There a lot of people who come to Head-Fi as an upgrade path from the super-easy to use iPod and iTunes.

Long live the Micro DAC (I'd get Micro Amp, strap, and bag, but I'm too cheap, and already happy with my rig).

Yes, yes, I know. . . . I sound like a shameless HeadRoom cheerleader.

Always nice to have people like TheSloth to explain and share their tech knowledge so often.

May 14, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #36 of 57
Quote:

With very good soldering kill and strong enough technical circuit design background, the only limitation is whether the IC(OPA2134, 627 chip..)'s spec support its application in your DAC. Single or Dual Op amp per chip doesn't matter much, I always can use special IC adapter or even very small daughter-board to work around that when I want. But so far, I have no plan to use 627 in my MicroDAC, one of the reason is I don't want to max out everything to upgrade the premium module(use opa2134 chip) in my MOH.
very_evil_smiley.gif

The key point is the person should have good soldering skill, proper soldering tool, proper grounding of soldering iron and working table, and know enough about how to handle ESD(Electronic Static Device), the damage risk of his soldering is almost same as the one done in factory.

Besides HeadRoom's good service and nice people there, the another reason of my MicroDAC purchase is it is not cost effective if I DIY it. I can very easily finish circuit design using CS4398 DAC chip(actually this part is done already), and finish the circuit testing using "universal component PC board ", then spend some time to do PCB layout design(this part is little bit tricky and need experiences). I found that the cost of all parts(including PCB) and my labor is not low enough to make me to DIY it.

May 17, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #37 of 57
Hi gang.

So I've had my MicroDAC for a couple of days now. So far I've only been able to use it as described above for a variety of stupid reasons. One thing I've noticed--and this will probably sound weird--is that the music seems ever so slightly slower when the MicroDAC is in the mix. Now, I haven't thoroughly tested this, and it could be a number of other things. However, I'm just wondering if the MicroDAC's increased detail and soundstage (longer decay?) perhaps give this illusion of being ever so slightly slower? Or am I just crazy?

May 17, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #38 of 57
It sounds to me that you're hearing PRAT (pace, rythm, and timing) for the firt time. With a really good audio system (talking generally here, not promotionally) you get a sense of ease where the music is relaxed and just bounces along. This is not a coomon thing to achieve. Your UE-10s are certainly capable of getting this subtle sense of rightness; I'm pretty sure you'll find that it does have something to do with how well recourded the source material is as well. Welcome to high-end audio. Sorry about your wallet---it can get better.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 17, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #39 of 57
Quote:

It sounds to me that you're hearing PRAT (pace, rythm, and timing) for the firt time. With a really good audio system (talking generally here, not promotionally) you get a sense of ease where the music is relaxed and just bounces along. This is not a coomon thing to achieve. Your UE-10s are certainly capable of getting this subtle sense of rightness; I'm pretty sure you'll find that it does have something to do with how well recourded the source material is as well. Welcome to high-end audio. Sorry about your wallet---it can get better.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Curses!
biggrin.gif
Your observation makes sense, Tyll, because "slowness" doesn't adequately describe what I am hearing. More like a lack of slurring--better articulation, sharper relief. Yes, I suppose PRAT.

And to think I don't even have my UE-10s yet! They're shipping out next week. Oh boy.
evil_smiley.gif

May 17, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

So, what kind of cans are you listening to?

I've been rotating through my HF-1's and my HD 595's. I'm going to give the DT 770 a run next. Then the MicroAmp should arrive and I'll do an intense listening session this weekend and post impressions.

As you mentioned, Tyll, this is the beginning of the entry to a new level. I'll be looking critically at my cans over the next couple of weeks, thinking about consolidating. Team Consolidate and Upgrade!

I'm also looking forward to using the MicroDAC with my NAD 541i.

May 17, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #42 of 57
Ok, add Pratt to the list of acronyms I've picked up over the last 3 months hanging out here.

I'm going to need another legal pad.

(I can relate to the experience , and now have a nifty label to describe it. Cool)

This has resulted in me staying up way...way... to late listening to music every night. I have beeen going to sleep with E4c's in my ears since I bought my first amp a couple of months ago, but since I bought the MicroStack, I stopped falling asleep. I just keep listening. It is so amazing to hear all the separation, the clarity of lyrics... I love it.

I keep thinking of all the millions of people out there who love music but have no clue what they could be hearing if they had good equipment. So sad.

May 17, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #43 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan
I keep thinking of all the millions of people out there who love music but have no clue what they could be hearing if they had good equipment. So sad.

I'm not sure it's sad. I used to have a pair of QUAD electrostatics (ESL988's) at home in London, and when I came to New York, I had nothing but an iPod and iBuds. I didn't feel like I was missing anything, listening to the same recordings. In fact, there was something to be gained from there being nothing of interest to 'listen to' in the equipment itself.

I always love the way many of my fellow musicians when listening to my equipment don't notice it whatsoever, and only hear the music. That wouldn't be any different if my equipment was a BOSE Sound Dock. Of course there is a minimum reproduction accuracy level below which the music is too distorted, but that level is pretty low.

I personally don't need all of this complicated equipment to appreciate what I'm listening to. To be totally honest, I don't enjoy the music any more, I just enjoy the equipment more and the experience of using it. But hey, I'm a classical musician by profession so I have a slightly different take on what I'm listening to than most head-fi'ers.

Just don't forget that it is just 'equipment', and that the word 'audiophile' means exactly what it looks like it means and nothing more.

May 17, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #44 of 57
Quote:

Just don't forget that it is just 'equipment', and that the word 'audiophile' means exactly what it looks like it means and nothing more.

Thank God, there for a bit I had it confused and I was really worried about hanging around with you guys...
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 17, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

I'm not sure it's sad. I used to have a pair of QUAD electrostatics (ESL988's) at home in London, and when I came to New York, I had nothing but an iPod and iBuds. I didn't feel like I was missing anything, listening to the same recordings. In fact, there was something to be gained from there being nothing of interest to 'listen to' in the equipment itself.

I always love the way many of my fellow musicians when listening to my equipment don't notice it whatsoever, and only hear the music. That wouldn't be any different if my equipment was a BOSE Sound Dock. Of course there is a minimum reproduction accuracy level below which the music is too distorted, but that level is pretty low.

I personally don't need all of this complicated equipment to appreciate what I'm listening to. To be totally honest, I don't enjoy the music any more, I just enjoy the equipment more and the experience of using it. But hey, I'm a classical musician by profession so I have a slightly different take on what I'm listening to than most head-fi'ers.

I have great respect for your opinions, but this one surprises me. I am not a musician, and perhaps that is part of it. Listening to music on good equpment (which I never had before) has been a true awakening. I am absolutely astounded by the difference in the listening experience. In my mind's eye, I can "see" the musicians on stage or in the studio. Listening to music is no longer a passive experience; it is an active, engaging experience. There is so much on a good recording that I just never knew was there.

Don't get me wrong--I love the toys too, as my outrageous purchase history over the last couple of months will readily attest. I will also conceed that all people, including me, are subject to the "placebo effect." If I buy something that is "supposed" to make music sound better, chances are I will perceive it as such whether it is objectively true or not.

That said, I'm sticking to my guns on this one: I think that if more people who listen to a lot of music had good listening gear they would be blown away by what they have been missing. Yet, that is unlikely to happen in the age of I-Tunes and record companies which seem to care less and less about production values. Audio ignorance is winning in the market place. Why? They just don't know any better. I certainly didn't. And that--to me--is sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back