Just ordered the Micro Stack
May 5, 2006 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

ComfyCan

500+ Head-Fier
The insanity continues. Although I'm quite happy with the 2006 Total BitHead that I purchased about 5 weeks ago, I can't help thinking: how much better can music sound?

4 or 5 clicks later and $600 more plopped down to find out.

This truly is like "audio crack."

I am going to be SO busted the next time my wife visits my office...
evil_smiley.gif

May 5, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 57
Welcome to Team Micro Stack.

You'll love the Micro stack, it's a nice little stack of sonic goodness. And they look so cute together.

I've heard a lot more expensive setups, but I think the Micro stack hits the sweet spot more than a lot of other setups.

May 5, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 57
Nice combo. I haven't heard the recent iterations of the BitHead and they have made a lot of improvements recently but still in the past the stack was certainly a big sonic upgrade; I think you're going to find it was money well spent.
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928
as a delighted owner of same, congrats...audio bliss is around the corner. grab
an optical cable for hookup.

Thanks; I can't wait.

I had planned on using USB when using computer as source, because I don't have a soundcard with digital out. Do you think I'd be better off getting a soundcard with digital out rather than using USB to connect my laptop to the MicroDac?

I do have an optical cable which I had planned to use when using either Iriver H-140 or Denon 2200 as source (with the exception of SACDs; for them I planned to use an RCA to mini adapter from the Denon to the MicroDac).

May 5, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 57
New member of Team MicroStack here, too. Long lead time on this pair. Can't wait for it to arrive. I got the bag, strap and everything. THEN I went ahead and bought an iRiver H120. Oh, god, my wallet...

May 5, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
New member of Team MicroStack here, too. Long lead time on this pair. Can't wait for it to arrive. I got the bag, strap and everything. THEN I went ahead and bought an iRiver H120. Oh, god, my wallet...

My goodness Vincent isn't it funny that I just bought a Micro (not stack) here too... Let me know how it sounds next to your PIMETA. It's definately a huge step up from a CMoy, but I need better headphones.

May 5, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
THEN I went ahead and bought an iRiver H120.

Those are getting hard to come by. Did you get it used or spend $$$$$$$$$ on a new one?

-Angler
etysmile.gif

May 5, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #11 of 57
I would start with the USB out, and see if you like it. Next time you get the upgrade-itis bug, buy the Chaintech 710 card, ($30) and search this site for setup instructions. That upgrade wont get you quite so busted.

May 5, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #12 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13
I would start with the USB out, and see if you like it. Next time you get the upgrade-itis bug, buy the Chaintech 710 card, ($30) and search this site for setup instructions. That upgrade wont get you quite so busted.

When testing the Maxed out Desktop configuration, even with the reclocking and upsampling of the Max DAC, the jitter was measured by Stereophile to be a factor of 3 higher when using the USB out rather than optical output from the same computer (~200ps for optical versus ~600ps for USB). It should be noted that that is NOT the fault of the DAC itself, and a limitation of the USB interface for digital audio transmission.

May 6, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #13 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons
My goodness Vincent isn't it funny that I just bought a Micro (not stack) here too... Let me know how it sounds next to your PIMETA. It's definately a huge step up from a CMoy, but I need better headphones.

I'll do that. My stupid Pimeta is haunted. Something weird is going on with the DC offset. I think after the Pint, I am done with building portable amps. In fact, that's one of the reasons I got the Micro. I realized that commercial amp builders are able to do things in a form factor that I simply cannot match.

May 6, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #14 of 57
Congratulations on your new purchase, the micro stack is still one of the best purchases if not best, Ive made since joining head fi.

You got a nice portable rig you got there that can stack up to some home rigs.

May 6, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #15 of 57
Congratulations! And may the disease known as upgratitus continue.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Can you do a comparison between the micro stack and the total bithead? I'm interested in getting one of these but... it's a $400 difference and I'm wondering if it's really worth it.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back