Just ordered some 701's - have I done the right thing?
Nov 23, 2009 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

sithompson

100+ Head-Fier
I've always like the the look of the AKG 701's, both in terms of appearance and the write-ups they have got and it seems to fit the kind of music I like (nearly exclusively female vocal, instrumental, light rock, alternative - Tanya Donelly, Michelle Branch, Nerina Pallot, Leona Ness to name but a few). Amp is a LD 1+ with uprated tubes and LM4562 Op-Amp

So will they be OK and how will they sound compared to my SR80i's and MS1's? I want to get some better Grados when I'm in the States at Christmas (either 225 or 325) and maintain the sound I'm getting from the MS1's. This is getting expensive, but worth it
happy_face1.gif

Nov 23, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 19
if you're bald, they'll dig into your skull so make sure to grow some (thick) hair...but apparently SS is great on these cans, and they also seem to leak like mad...but I'm a SS whore anyway, so if you like it wiiiiiiide this couldn't really be a complete disappointment
smily_headphones1.gif

and make sure to use a dark source, as these seem to be rather bright in the first place...don't forget to report in when you get them
beerchug.gif

PS: humm, LM4562 sounds like a major deal breaker...try something darker like OPA2132P/OPA2111KP or so.

Nov 23, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 19
I just got my k702, which are identical soundwise, and they sound great. The wide soundstage really adds depth to some songs. Unfortunately they are my first hi-fi headphone so I can't compare them to much, rest assured they make my bose sound like crap.

Nov 23, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif

PS: humm, LM4562 sounds like a major deal breaker...try something darker like OPA2132P/OPA2111KP or so.

I've a load of OPA2132 or OPA2134 kicking around from building amps in the past, so I will try one and see what it sounds like. Thanks for your input!

Nov 23, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sithompson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always like the the look of the AKG 701's, both in terms of appearance and the write-ups they have got and it seems to fit the kind of music I like (nearly exclusively female vocal, instrumental, light rock, alternative - Tanya Donelly, Michelle Branch, Nerina Pallot, Leona Ness to name but a few). Amp is a LD 1+ with uprated tubes and LM4562 Op-Amp

So will they be OK and how will they sound compared to my SR80i's and MS1's? I want to get some better Grados when I'm in the States at Christmas (either 225 or 325) and maintain the sound I'm getting from the MS1's. This is getting expensive, but worth it
happy_face1.gif

I love the K701s! They are incredible for detail, neutrality, and the best sound stage you can get. The down side is you need a really great amp to drive them properly.

Great purchase, but give them 200 hours of burn in before you make any judgments as they take a long time.

Nov 23, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sithompson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've a load of OPA2132 or OPA2134 kicking around from building amps in the past, so I will try one and see what it sounds like. Thanks for your input!

Looks like you are ready for them.
k701smile.gif
don't forget to report back.

Nov 23, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #8 of 19
Those are fine headphones, to say the least. Give us your impressions after 125+ hours or so.

Nov 23, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #9 of 19
You will need to say 10 "Our Fathers", 10 "Hail Marys" and donate $50 to Sennheiser. You will not be credible because you think the 701s sound good.

j/k

Good choice.

Nov 23, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #10 of 19
I guess that for your music taste K701 should sound fabulous.
Happy listening,
Adam

Nov 23, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #12 of 19
Is it just me or do the K701s sound lifeless until cranked up a bit? Anyway, they are phemonenal headphones that bring extrordinary detail to music. Just don't expect them to rock out, bass wise.

Nov 23, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #13 of 19
^ Yes, they need a certain level of power to bloom. And once again, the quality of K701 bass is very good, though some people find its quantity not good enough.

Nov 23, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWysokinski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Yes, they need a certain level of power to bloom. And once again, the quality of K701 bass is very good, though some people find its quantity not good enough.

However, they are very EQ'able with zero distortion on the low end. I like to use the "Bass Booster" EQ setting on iTunes and they just sit back.

With this you get both quality and quantity!

Nov 23, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #15 of 19
I've got k701s and SR225s. The k701s have much tighter bass than the Grados, less of it, and an enormous sound stage. I'm not the greatest fan of female vocal/light rock, but when I do listen to it, the k701s are what I go for, especially if it's a live recording.

Don't worry about the resale value of the k701s, you won't want to sell them
o2smile.gif
congratulations on your new cans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back