Just Ordered Shure Black Foam Sleeves
Mar 5, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #46 of 193
These ROCK. They retain their shape well and provide better isolation than the yellow foamies. It's much easier to get a good seal with them. Get the mediums if the yellow foamies fit you well. A must-have for e500 owners, IMHO.

Mar 5, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #47 of 193
I'll declare love to anyone who tries the olive sleeves with the Etymotic ER-4Ps, giving us a good soundquality feedback.
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #48 of 193
I just got mine in the mail and have tried out the small sized ones as well as the mediums. the smalls fit me perfect and the mediums fit well but take a little more work to get them in my ear. I normally use the medium clear flex sleeves with my e5c's. They were the only tips that I could get a good seal with besides the yellow foamies. The yellow foamies, as I'm sure you all know, deteriorate far too quickly for their cost. The black foamies give me an amazing seal and block out more external noise than either the yellow or the clear sleeves so music seems to be more loud. I went on a short walk with them in and there is a lot less noise generated by walking than the yellow foamies. The yellows terminate in a flat end, i believe that this acted like a diaphragm causing a boom, boom, boom with each step. The clear ones, perhaps because of their round edges, didn't generate nearly as much noise from walking. So maybe the rounded edges on the black ones are responsible for the deminished microphonics. Who knows.

Whith a good seal they sound great. I haven't listened long enough to pick them apart, but I really like what I heard. As good or better than the clear flex sleeves. it could just seem that way to me because they're generating less noise and are more isolating than what I'm used to. I plan on using them alot more in the future. I'll leave more impressions then.

Mar 6, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #49 of 193
there is quite a discrepancy as to what size matches up. one says medium if the yellow foamies fit, others say small for medium flex. medium flex is too big and yellow foamies are too small! or perhaps too short.

Mar 6, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #50 of 193
Mine came in today, and so far I'm very very happy with them!

I ordered a set of smalls, along with a level attenuator for my amp to use with my Westone UM1. My first impression was that they were a tad smaller than my short comply tips. They really are a hybrid of the standard foamy/comply foam and the shure soft flex sleeve and I really like it so far. They seem a lot more durable than the complies, I've tried washing/scraping wax off my complies and they kind of got damaged, though not severely; these seem like they would be able to withstand that.

Size is very similar to the short comply and about half of a standard yellow foamy. The diameter is slightly smaller on the black foamy, and it's a tad shorter as well.

Fit is very good, they mold to your ear very quickly, I would say faster than the comply tips do, and thats fast! The weird thing about them is, I couldn't tell if I had a proper seal or not, it was kind of weird. It sounded perfect, so I knew i had a good seal but it just didn't feel like it. After a while I started to like this feeling a lot. It made my head feel less congested and "drowned", which is the main thing i hate about bi/tri flange tips. They sit flush in your ear without any discomfort, these are the only tips to beat the comply in comfort!

More later, I need to listen more before making any comments on the sound.

Mar 6, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #51 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The weird thing about them is, I couldn't tell if I had a proper seal or not, it was kind of weird. It sounded perfect, so I knew i had a good seal but it just didn't feel like it.

That is how my small soft tips feel, but i don't like it. They don't seem to seal in my right ear all the way like my other ear. So I'm still hesitant as to what size to get because medium softflex are too big and the small soft tips don't seem to seal all the way in my right ear.

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #52 of 193
Hmm..

can you tell me how long they should last? I've heard they're pretty washable and reuseable. I might be sold on them if they have any durability worth a damn (the Complies, from what I understand, last a week of use if you're lucky).

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #53 of 193
Does anyone know if they are available anywhere in Canada yet? It seems like highway robbery to have to pay $19.95 for international shipping on an item that only costs $13.99 to begin with.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #54 of 193
I'm not sure if I should order the medium or small. The yellow foamies fit well, complys fit alright (not as good isolation as the yellow foamies), and the medium black soft flex sleeves fit well (about as well as the yellow foamies). Any recommendations to which size I should order?

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #55 of 193
Go with the mediums, I kind of wish I did. They're really soft, so even if they're a tad large, you'll have a good fit.

Anyone want to trade a pair of mediums for a pair of smalls?

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #57 of 193
Just put them in my ears and...Wow! They definitely live up to the hype. Much better fit and isolation than the yellow foamies. I finally feel like I found the fit that I've been searching for. They feel way more snug and secure in my ears. They kinda have a tacky feel to them which provides some grip. They don't slide back at all when inserted and they seal off extremely fast. I had no desire to try and re-position them after they were in. Shure really did a nice job with these!

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #59 of 193
It could be said that with them there will be no need to go for custom molds anymore.
At list reading your first comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back