Just ordered M50s, will SQ change With a Decent Amp??
Nov 21, 2010 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

wantalot75

New Head-Fier
Hi, i've been reading on the fourms now for a couple of weeks and decided to become a member. While searching the fourms i've found that the M50s were highly reccomended and soon placed an order. I am just wondering if you guys, and girls, had beter experience while using a amp with the m50s. I will be using my ipod classic and my nano to drive them.

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 21
I'm sorry if this topic was already answered, it just that this is my first post and i was too excited. haha  I forgot to mention im looking into getting a Hifiman EF2 USB amp, would anyone recommend it?

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 21

Quote:
Listen to them first. Personally I wouldn't get an amp if you want to keep them portable, the M50s are bulky enough to carry around alone. 

Yep... what he said. 
atsmile.gif

They work just fine out of my iPods.

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 21
^Very specific....

Just try everything before you buy more. I can notice a difference between my zune hd and computer's onboard sound, but its not that big of a difference. Chances are it's not that great, but if you mostly listen out of your ipod it wouldn't be too big of a deal. If you listen a lot from your laptop look at an amp/dac combo, like the headroom bithead, fiio E7, or udac2 as a few examples. 

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #8 of 21
k thanks i think for portable im not going to bother getting a amp, but i might want to get a amp/dac combo for the computer.

Quote:
^Very specific....

Just try everything before you buy more. I can notice a difference between my zune hd and computer's onboard sound, but its not that big of a difference. Chances are it's not that great, but if you mostly listen out of your ipod it wouldn't be too big of a deal. If you listen a lot from your laptop look at an amp/dac combo, like the headroom bithead, fiio E7, or udac2 as a few examples. 

Nov 21, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
k thanks i think for portable im not going to bother getting a amp, but i might want to get a amp/dac combo for the computer.

Quote:
^Very specific....

Whats your budget for a dac/amp?

Nov 21, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #10 of 21
Yeah I wouldn't bother with a portable, especially not a cheap portable.  Even with my PPAS, the difference is not that big of a deal.  It's there, but it's very subtle. 

Nov 21, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 21
Yup, a decent amp is going to give you that last 5-10% of sound quality. I like them with my iPhone4.

Nov 21, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #12 of 21
Around 150-175 would be my budget. Considering im in high school, that would probaly take along time to save up for. Im looking at the Hifiman EF2 dac/amp that is on sale for 169$ at head direct.

Nov 21, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
Is there anything comparable in quality for around that price, or even cheaper. Thanks

This isnt the right place to be asking about AMP/DAC's. You wont get anywhere here.

You should go to the Full size headphone amp's or the portable headphone amp's forum to get some better advice :]

Or you could always search "m50 amp" in the search feature located at the top

Good luck!

Nov 21, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #15 of 21
There's always the turtle beach audio advantage micro 2. Only costs $20, and for that price you get a very good sounding amp and usb dac. It's only slightly worse than some of the better soundcards, but for the m50 it should be more than sufficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back