Just ordered first pair of quality 'phones! ...now what??
Jun 3, 2008 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

KindOfBlues71

New Head-Fier
Prior to my recent "audio awakening" I'd been listening to music ripped in iTunes as 128kbps AAC files on a 30GB 5G through the stock iPod headphones. A friend at work let me listen to his Sony (can't recall the model) closed headphones, also 128 AAC files on a 30GB 5G, and the sound quality was AMAZING - worlds different from my 'setup'. I started researching headphones and audio in general, found my way to Rockbox, Hydrogenaudio and Head-Fi, and just ordered myself some Head-Direct RE2 IEMs.

Which leads me to the "now what" of the thread title. The RE2 reviews by ClieOS, jinp6301 and Frederik S (linked in the group buy thread) prompted me to choose the RE2 over other IEMs but now I'm reading about burn-in, impedance, frequency response and sound output milliwatts and my head hurts!

I can't afford a portable amp, much less an iMod upgrade, so I'll be listening to 320kbps LAME files on a Rockboxed 30GB 5G through the RE2s. After reading the burn-in sticky and lots of threads about it I've chosen to burn-in using the music I listen to everyday, mainly classic rock and jazz, so I think I'm set there. I don't believe Head-Direct has posted a frequency response graph and their website says the RE2s are rated at "32Ohms low impedance". From my searches it seems that my iPod's sound output is 1.12v, 30 milliwatts x 2.

So what, if anything, can be done with that info? I think I confused myself with too much information...

Many many thanks in advance!
-KindOfBlues71

Jun 3, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 18
Easy. Watch your wallet getting dried.

I haven't had RE2 myself but I think you'll be just fine without an amp. You can tell the difference if you listen to it amped then listen to it un-amped, but you won't know what you're missing if you never listen to it amped therefore not feeling the urge to get better equipments.

Personally, I don't think IEMs and Earbuds benefit much from amping but YMMV.

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 18
From someone who reads the headphone forums way too often, but fortunately hasn't spent much money (yet)...

listen to your new headphones, enjoy your music (or whatever), get a new hobby, and avoid this place.

Steve

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 18
Thanks for the replies, I've calmed down a bit. But it's way too late to forget about this place (which won't make my wife too happy)! Besides, since my old receiver died I've been wanting to buy a new stereo system. Right now my iPod currently is my stereo. So many choices, so little money...

-KindOfBlues71

Jun 4, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 18
Don't forget bthis place. Yes you spend alot. But it is very much so worth it.

Jun 4, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget bthis place. Yes you spend alot. But it is very much so worth it.

^
what he said
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #9 of 18
I think you've got a good start. You've upped your source by going with a higher sample rate and now you've got a pair of nice IEMs coming your way. Plug them in and enjoy them. Some people get caught up in burn-in time, I tend not to. That is not to say I don't believe in it because I do. I've experienced it myself often. I don't set up new equipment and let it go for 7 days straight with music. I'll do overnights so I don't miss out on using them.

Once you've settled in with your new portable set-up you can then think of adding an amp and grabbing the line out signal with a Line Out Dock. The built-in amp in iPods are just not very good and your IEMs warrant being fed a better signal. You don't have to take out a second mortgage to do this. There are a lot of budget priced equipment that sound very good. A good place to start is Skylab's virtually all inclusive portable amp thread.

Above all else though - don't lose sight of why you are doing this. It is all about the music and your enjoyment thereof. There will always be better stuff out there but don't let it distract you from enjoying what you have.

Welcome aboard! It is a fascinating and wacky ride but oh so worth it!

Enjoy!

Jun 4, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #11 of 18
Thanks guys! I didn't clarify in my original post, but burn-in will be done while I'm sleeping. I fully intend to begin using the RE2s the second I find them on my doorstep. I'm not sure how long shipping from China to the East Coast takes but it's a painful wait.

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now What?

Now its time for you to spend MORE money on MORE headphones =P

Yep. Whatever's in your wallet...tell it to get packing, cos it won't be there very long.

'Can't afford an amp'? Pah! Apres RE2 le deluge, kiddo!

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back