Just got the AV710 =D
Jan 27, 2005 at 8:27 AM Post #16 of 56
you mean the "didnt follow the guide properly" or "thought the av-710 had a good headphone amp built in for $30" problem?

nope, dont have either of those problems...

Jan 27, 2005 at 8:30 AM Post #17 of 56
No, i followed the guide exactly.

Why would i need an amp? even without one there should be NO CLIPPING at all...

Even with an amp foobar would still show clipping errors...

Can you see if you get clipping errors? open up your console and tell me if you do.

Jan 27, 2005 at 8:55 AM Post #18 of 56
How about lowering the volume of your file? Ever heard of ReplayGain?
biggrin.gif

You can't really use the Hi-Sample rate mode since you have 5.1 speakers... (unless you plan on only using stereo from the alt output)
Make sure to not move the jumpers and disable the amp, the front (green) would sound like crap

Jan 27, 2005 at 8:59 AM Post #19 of 56
i just got mine today and had zero problems. it sounds great even with my 20 dollar sony headphones. it might be your PCI latency, a couple of ppl had that issue i think, should be set at 64 instead of 32. caused cracking and clipping yea. what are your pc specs? is your sound card in the bottom slot? what OS are you on? have you tried the later versions of the software?

i followed Radar's guide exactly and had zero problems. im still unamped with poo headphones at the moment. but this is also my secondary sound card, jsut for foobar. my A2 is still my default. maybe try setting ur default as ur ac97 and the av710 just for foobar. surround isn't really that great with this card anyway. best for 2 channel (headphones). this card is really best as a second, not default.

Jan 27, 2005 at 9:35 AM Post #20 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by lumanogin
i just got mine today and had zero problems. it sounds great even with my 20 dollar sony headphones. it might be your PCI latency, a couple of ppl had that issue i think, should be set at 64 instead of 32. caused cracking and clipping yea. what are your pc specs? is your sound card in the bottom slot? what OS are you on? have you tried the later versions of the software?

i followed Radar's guide exactly and had zero problems. im still unamped with poo headphones at the moment. but this is also my secondary sound card, jsut for foobar. my A2 is still my default. maybe try setting ur default as ur ac97 and the av710 just for foobar. surround isn't really that great with this card anyway. best for 2 channel (headphones). this card is really best as a second, not default.

In my Bios I only have the option of "PCI Clock Auto Detect" Enable/Disable
I dont know how to change my PCI Latency

Thankyou for the help

Jan 27, 2005 at 11:02 AM Post #21 of 56
Sorry to hear somethings not quite right for you. I have had none of the symptoms you are experiencing, although without Mr Radar's guide I would have been less than satisfied.

As you have followed "the guide" I'm tempted to suggest you check for any hardware conflicts as well. Can you try a different PCI slot just in case? Seems strange that the high quality sound setting is not sticking for you. If you do get it working you'll be pleased I'm sure.

TonyAAA

Jan 27, 2005 at 12:19 PM Post #22 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitzfiya
I get this in the console when i play any song.

INFO (CORE) : Clipping detected.

Hmmm Foobar knows about the clipping too.

Naturally foobar doesn't report a clipping soundcard, it reports crappy files.
The art of proper ripping and encoding (EAC/Lame) is quite easy to learn, please use the search function.

However, the digital clipping isn't the main reason for your problems since you've got an at least listenable SQ through your former sound card.

I've installed an AV-710 into my GF's computer and listened through it.
I have lots of stuff to compare it to.
It doesn't compete with high-end stuff, but it's a nice and enjoyable bargain competing with soundcards in the $100 range.

Conclusion:
a)The card is broken
or
b) you managed to screw up the setup.

Try to deinstall and reinstall this card properly.
In case that doesn't work return it.

Jan 27, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #23 of 56
- I limited the clipping by removing the volume control from foobar, and lowering the master volume. But the clipping is still clearly visible.

- UT2004 sounds like a crap 8bit console, Steam games sound weak

-I haven't tried my speakers because i have no idea how to hook them up to this soundcard.

Do I need an Amp or something crazy? I don't know where i would get a headphone amp...I do not have a credit card or anything.

Sometimes i think you guys are bull****ting when it comes to all this audio gear. It's doing nothing for me except causing problems...What i am hearing is not even worth $30...

Anyone want a free AV710? if not ill set it on fire and cool stuff like that.

If somehow I get it working correctly so i can hear what you guys are hearing then ill be happy. But untill then i need a little help...

If you need any more information just ask.

Jan 27, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #24 of 56
have you actually gone through and reinstalled the drivers as was mentioned earlier in this thread? if not, you really really should try just re-installing it. mind you, once you've reinstalled it, DON'T DO ANY TWEAKS that would be found in mr. radar's guide... just see if it works. if it still doesn't work, and you did a clean reinstall, then it's either a hardware malfunction or there's some other conflict with your hardware (try re-seating the card in a different PCI slot perhaps). assuming you reinstall it and everything works well (wouldn't that be nice?) you could go through and apply each "tweak" one at a time to see if any of them cause problems, or to see if you like how they sound.

just some basic troubleshooting suggestions.

p.s. don't worry about pci latency or anything, assuming your pc isn't overclocked you shouldn't have to worry about it anyways... however, if your pc IS overclocked (even a little bit) try resetting it to default specs and see if that clears up the problem.

Jan 27, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #26 of 56
IMO it should be clearly stated in the recommendations and guides for this card that an amplifier is a must.

To Spitzfiya:

The clipping most probably occurs because the headphones overload the DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) chip.

Jan 28, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #27 of 56
Quote:

*raises hand*

Jan 28, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #29 of 56
Quote:

I'll take it too. I'll let you know how it sounds in my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back