Just got the AV710 =D
Jan 28, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #31 of 56
I just did extensive testing of both my AV710 and my onboard AC97 using my Senn HD-497s, the results surprised me, I was baffled. I tested these settings many times, this is not bullsh1t.

AV710 Default Settings
AC97 Default Settings

AV710 - Weaker sound, less bass, raspy highs, odd positioning
AC97 - Powerfull, punchy, close, tight, clean

AC97 sounds better

AV710 + High Sample Rate + Black Jack
AC97 Default Settings

AV710 - Clipping problems! raspy highs, weak bass, odd positioning

AC97 sounds better

AV710 - High Sample Rate + Green Jack + Kernal Streaming
AC97 Default settings + Kernal Streaming

AV710 - Weaker, less bass, raspy highs, odd positioning
AC97 - It's perfect... Powerfull, punchy, close, tight, clean, detailed sound

AC97 sounds 10x better

MY onboard AC97 sounds leaps and bounds better then my AV710

AC97 + NVMixer is the best ive ever heard, and I just proved it. I am not getting an AMP just to make this card sound "decent"

Screw audio quality, i'm obviously not missing much... what a waste of $30
I could of bought pizza with!

*Eats AV710*

Jan 28, 2005 at 7:34 AM Post #32 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitzfiya
I just did extensive testing of both my AV710 and my onboard AC97 using my Senn HD-497s, the results surprised me, I was baffled. I tested these settings many times, this is not bullsh1t.

AV710 Default Settings
AC97 Default Settings

AV710 - Weaker sound, less bass, raspy highs, odd positioning

AC97 sounds better

AV710 + High Sample Rate + Black Jack
AC97 Default Settings

AV710 - Clipping problems! raspy highs, weak bass, odd positioning

AC97 sounds better

AV710 - High Sample Rate + Green Jack + Kernal Streaming
AC97 Default settings + Kernal Streaming

AV710 - Weaker, less bass, raspy highs, odd positioning
AC97 - It's perfect... Powerfull, punchy, close, tight, clean, detailed sound

AC97 sounds 10x better

MY onboard AC97 sounds leaps and bounds better then my AV710

AC97 + NVMixer is the best ive ever heard, and I just proved it. I am not getting an AMP just to make this card sound "decent"

Screw audio quality, i'm obviously not missing much... what a waste of $30
I could of bought pizza with!

*Eats AV710*

RAWFLE!

Its a perfect card for me, cheap, sold my sblive, chuck in my own $10 and I get this card, I'll upgrade it when PCIX become very mainsteam and there are some nice cards on it.

Jan 28, 2005 at 7:35 AM Post #33 of 56
i'm still here and willing to take it off your hands... since you apparently STILL don't like it...

Jan 28, 2005 at 9:18 AM Post #34 of 56
I have no way of getting it to you, Besides ill keep it around untill i find a "use" for it.

Hell AC97's 5.1 is so much better then this card...it's pathetic. And yes I even compared 5.1, the AV710 lost. I swear some games sounded like 8-bit consoles on the AV710...
It was amusing

nVmixer rocks my socks.

Jan 28, 2005 at 9:25 AM Post #35 of 56
You need that amp. At least don't go around bashing the AV710 until you tried it with one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 9:31 AM Post #36 of 56
Is this like a sick joke or something? Everyone on other forums including here who have heard the AV-710 praises it for the sound quality, and you are praising the sound quality of your Realtek AC97 codec...... which everyone else has dismissed as crappy sound.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 9:34 AM Post #37 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundstorm
Realtek AC97 codec...... which everyone else has dismissed as crappy sound.
rolleyes.gif

frown.gif

i really need the av710 then

Jan 28, 2005 at 9:53 AM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

Is this like a sick joke or something? Everyone on other forums including here who have heard the AV-710 praises it for the sound quality, and you are praising the sound quality of your Realtek AC97 codec...... which everyone else has dismissed as crappy sound.
rolleyes.gif

Yes, belive it or not...

Please come to my house and listen to it, you wont belive it eithier.

Jan 28, 2005 at 10:25 AM Post #40 of 56
Nice trolling. There's no way a Realtek AC97 codec's DAC will sound better than the Wolfson WM8728 DAC. Even the higher end Realtek HDA codec only sounds like an Audigy1, as seen from Digit-Life's review of the HDA codec.

Jan 28, 2005 at 11:33 AM Post #42 of 56
Quote:

Nice trolling. There's no way a Realtek AC97 codec's DAC will sound better than the Wolfson WM8728 DAC. Even the higher end Realtek HDA codec only sounds like an Audigy1, as seen from Digit-Life's review of the HDA codec.

Yes way. If a piece of electronics is misused then I wouldn't expect it to perform at its best (or at all). Unamped with my previous headphones (32Ohm Philips HP800) the bass out of Chaintech AV-710 was weak and the highs were etchy, ramped up the volume just past my normal 'loud' setting and major clipping occured. Built a CMOY and problems were essentially fixed.

At the time I bought the card I saw no reference of the very poor capability of the card to drive headphones straight. I could've been angry about it and I certainly understand why Spitzfiya is angry.

Jan 28, 2005 at 11:41 AM Post #43 of 56
yes you really need a amp. attacking members of this forum is quite appalling as well
frown.gif

fyi i run my av-710 with main and back sound lvls at maximum volume (hi qual mode) and its hooked up to a 2x50W NAD amp (then to some dtx floorstanders). i get absolutely no clipping

Jan 28, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #44 of 56
Its clipping because its not a headphone socket, its a line out meant to be plugged into an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back