Just got the AV710 =D
Jan 28, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #46 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by AQ6AQ6
The Wolfson DAC on AV710 directly driving the line out instead of using an output opamp. I don't think the output circuit inside a DAC could drive a headphone
biggrin.gif

no cracking for me unamped, haha. maybe my computer has something to do with it. no idea really.

Jan 28, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #47 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by lumanogin
no cracking for me unamped, haha. maybe my computer has something to do with it. no idea really.

It really depends on headphones. Low impedance headphones are the worst case.

Jan 28, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #48 of 56
Here's an update I put in my guide, which should answer your questions on the AV-710's poor performance:

Quote:

UPDATE: Recently there have been many reports from people that their AV-710s have sounded weak, bass-less, or just bad in general. The reason for this in many cases is the lack of proper amplifcation. The Alt-Out/high quality output jack on the AV-710 is only a line-level output and cannot drive headphones directly. To use the AV-710's high quality output with headphones you need a headphone amplifier such as a CMOY, MINT, HeadRoom AirHead, or a stereo receiver with a headphone jack.

Jan 28, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #49 of 56
Ok i take back everything i said, I tested my Logitech 530s this time using the line out and whoa, they sound alot better then when plugged into the AC97. Everything sounds more clear and less muddy, bass is tighter and i see no difference in the amount.

Sorry for my stupid ass coments haha, obviously i need an amp...I guess ill only use this soundcard for speakers.

AV710/Normal 2 channel mode/No high smaple rate/Kernal Streaming

Gunna test out high sample rate, can i follow radars guide for speakers too?

Jan 28, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #50 of 56
if your speakers have a headphone jack you could use that to drive the headphones.. though a headphone amp would be better because the headphone jack on most computer speakers isn't as good

Jan 29, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #52 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitzfiya

Ha, 497s in the headphone jack sound like sh1t

then you need better headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #54 of 56
My av-710 sounds awsome with and without and amp with all my sets of headphones hp890s, koss kcs-50s and dt-880s.

Philips headphones, theres your source of mud, they are mud cannons, whop whop whop whop.

Oh and FYI, louder doesn't mean it sounds better.

Jan 29, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #55 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by @sia@home
My av-710 sounds awsome with and without and amp with all my sets of headphones hp890s, koss kcs-50s and dt-880s.

Philips headphones, theres your source of mud, they are mud cannons, whop whop whop whop.

Oh and FYI, louder doesn't mean it sounds better.

no

Jan 29, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #56 of 56
Dude, you obsiously screwed up your setup (or perhaps your AC97 is EQ'ed?)
I have the same card and the same speakers as yours and it sound nothing like your described

Since our Logitech multimedia plastic (5.1) don't have a 2/4 input switch like the ones from Altec Lansing, when using a stereo source, you have to enable the Stereo EXpander so you get sound from behind and bass redirection to the subwoofer
As for odd 3D positioning, get the 4.42a drivers, the 3.32b was bogus (not sure about the older drivers using Sensora instead of the new Qsound, also make sure Immezio 3D Effect is enabled, Hi Sample Rate may not work though...)

As for reference, if you use 2+2 Channel setup (4/4.1), make sure to enable Center/LFE Swap
Or perhaps use 6 (5.1) Channel mode and tick DualMax (Hardware Downmix), Downmix LFE/Center DAC to Front channels

And do not move the jumpers! If you're planning to use the green jack (front output, anything not in the "Hi Sample Rate" mode), it will disable the amp and sound like crap, no bass at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back