Just got Sony MDR-SA5000!
Dec 10, 2004 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 133

jjcha

Headphoneus Supremus
just as i thought, the baby qualia 010's come with a baby qualia headphone stand.

headphones.jpg

i'm not the best person to post on the sound of these, but i'll try later. they definitely give you massive headphone hair though.

these are the MDR-SA5000's btw.

-Jason

Dec 10, 2004 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 133
They're open/semi-open. Not as open as the HD-600's, and part of the outside cup that looks like it's "membrane" is actually a hard-woven material. It's like they're 60% open.

(hard to describe, I'll post picts when I actually stop listening to them.)

-Jason

Dec 10, 2004 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 133
Congrats!
We wait for your first impressions, man !!!
So, the can is now available in Japan? Only in Japan at the moment?

Best!
Nicola

Dec 10, 2004 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
Congrats!
We wait for your first impressions, man !!!

Best!
Nicola

It was released today. I'll be comparing them with the Q010 and I'll be posting the results early next year.

Dec 10, 2004 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 133
Like I said, I'm probably not the best person to post on these. I've spent about two weeks with the Sony R-10's on loan from tk_suki. I've also visited the Qualia store a few times and trialed the Qualia 010's for about an hour and a half total. And I've listened to the CD3k's very briefly (when the R-10's are right there, it's hard to spend a whole lot of time with the CD3k's). So this isn't a whole lot of experience with Sony high-end phones.

Ever since I got my Sensa's, I've realized how polite, dark, veiled - however you want to put it - my cans of choice, Senn HD-600's are. I still love them, as I prefer their laid back signature over something that's too bright (something I'm very sensitive to). But just realized that they are in fact very polite, and aren't end all be all for headphones. Sometimes I want something a bit more energized.

So, the dilemmia - drop $2.5k (and three weeks wait) on the 010's? Hunt around for R-10's for maybe $3-4k? That's an awful lot of money for what would be, at least given my preferences, secondary phones. Then I start thinking, maybe a Blockhead + HD-650's + Zu is what I'm looking for. Or maybe a SinglePower SDS.

As usual, I end up thinking and thinking and not acting for weeks. Then I see the MDR-SA5000's are announced. 600 bucks isn't that much money for me to drop on a toy. So I decide that if I don't decide by 12/10, I'll just pick up a pair and enjoy the (presumably) good alternative, and worry about getting the "best" later.

And now, man, oh man, these are good. I'm surprised at how much I like them. They are in fact brighter than I'm accustomed to. But wow, they definitely make up for what I was missing in my HD-600's. I like them better than my Sensa's as comfortable phones that give me that attention to detail, speed and energy I've been looking for.

How do they compare with the 010's, R-10's, CD3k's? Again, I'm not the best, most discerning audiophile to say. All I know is that it's pretty clear to me, I made the right choice with these - the perfect, reasonably priced (at least to me) alternative to my HD-600's.

Of course (and Nik, I think you'll appreciate this), I like them so much I really do wonder, maybe I should have gone straight to the Qualia 010's. But then again, with the 010's coming around $2.5k, plus an amp that matches well for them, I'd imagine I'd be $5k in the hole. And I do love the sound signature of my Senns.

So for now, since I still don't know which route I want to take, I think the MDR-SA-5000's are a fine temporary fix. More than a temporary fix - a well spent $600.

Sorry I'm not saying a whole lot about the sound. Maybe in about 3 weeks to a month I'll post some more nuanced thoughts on them.

-Jason

Postscript: I will say, the surprising thing, I expected I'd probably still listen to my HD-600's 70% of the time, and these only 30%. But right now I don't know which I'll end up listening to more in the long run.

But you guys don't really care about my personal story with these phones.
biggrin.gif
I'll post more on more objective matters (fit/finish) and photos. But back to listening...

Dec 10, 2004 at 2:26 PM Post #11 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik

They'd better be distributed in the US as well... Well, there's always audiocubes but a proper US distribution will be cheaper...

Dec 10, 2004 at 3:14 PM Post #12 of 133
So they actually sound like Mini Qualias? That's not a mean feat.

And Sony's idea of "closed" is actually semi-closed still i see, like the CD3K and R10. This can is also semi-closed, from your description.

Look at those pads! Those are huge fluffy pads!

No little box/suitcase, but hey, a Headphone Stand - I'm not complaining.

And they have the highs and are lively, which I would expect. But...how's the BASS?

Dec 10, 2004 at 3:21 PM Post #13 of 133
Holy sweetness, nice! Congrats on your new headphones
biggrin.gif

Ye, want more closeups and more angles plz!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Too bad audicubes don't have them :/.

Is that some kind of silk carrying bag under the headphones?

Dec 10, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #14 of 133
jjcha, thanks for your initial impressions. The one thing I'll take exception with, however, is that IMO you're definitely the right guy to do a review of them!!!

You've spent a lot of time with the R10's and have had a chance to audition the Qualia 010's, plus you've heard the CD3000's. Not to mention that you own the Sensa's and HD600's!!! Now with the MDR-SA5000's you're about to become an old pro at the headphone game.

Congrats, and enjoy! Keep listening and burning them in...

Dec 10, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #15 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by zool
Is that some kind of silk carrying bag under the headphones?

looks like a storage thing so the can won't move around during shipping rather than a bag.

jjcha - more photos / close-ups please.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back