just got Sennheiser HD 555 set: first impressions
Apr 15, 2011 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

peskypesky

1000+ Head-Fier
Wow! 

First, compared to the Shure SRH440s i got a few weeks ago, these Sennheisers are light-weight. second, they are much cooler looking. snazzier design for sure.

next: Fit. Again, big difference from the Shures or my Grado SR80s. These 555s grip your head securely, but in a good way. The cushions are softer and more comfortable than the Shures and  Grados, so the added pressure is not uncomfortable. Then again, I haven't worn them for hours on end yet, so take that with a caveat.

Construction: well, I guess the light weight comes at the expense of sturdy construction, cause you can just tell the these 555s won't stand up to rough handling and abuse as well as the Shures or even Grados. They do feel a little flimsy, so I will have to be more careful with them than I am with the Grados and Shures.

Finally:  Sound. Well, what can I say? They sound fantastic! I can't compare them to my Grados and Shures at the moment because I'm at work, but my impression is that these sound better than either of those. The clarity is wonderful, and the balance between the frequencies seems just about perfect for me. I know some people complain that they have weak bass, but I'm not a bass-head, so I don't require skull-shaking thump. I do like a strong bottom end though, and with a little eq-ing, these babies can pump out the bass I need when I'm rocking to Kyuss or Rush.

I'm a newbie, so I don't have all the terminology down yet. I'm not sure what a sound-stage is, or what people mean when they say a headphone is "forward". But I do feel that these phones envelope my brain with 360 degrees of sound in a way that my other headphones don't.

One of my go-to songs for testing headphones is "Yours Is No Disgrace" by Yes. If you know that song, you know how it starts off with that glorious bass thump from Chris Squire, joined by the crisp drumming of Bill Bruford, and then layered with swirling keyboards and guitar runs....a great song for putting phones to the test. And right now, the sound is just stunning as I listen.

Another go-to song: "Is There a Ghost" by Band of Horses. And man, these 555s just rock that song. 

So....first impression overall? Fantastic. I can't wait to get home and do some direct comparisons with the Shures and Grados.

Apr 15, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #2 of 31
Also, don't forget to search on some of the mods that can be performed on the 555 headphones.  I believe there is some damping material that is placed behind the speaker that affects the sound a bit - when compared to their higher-end model.  Also, there might be a mention of some other mods to perform to take the sound to a new level.  The mods are free (nothing to buy) and only require your time.

Enjoy!!

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #4 of 31

Quote:
 Also, there might be a mention of some other mods to perform to take the sound to a new level.  The mods are free (nothing to buy) and only require your time.

Enjoy!!

yeah, i know about the 555 to 595 mod! saw the video on Youtube.  
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 31

Quote:
Just wondering, why didn't you get the HD555's successor HD558 instead?

HD 555 are $84.95
HD 558 are $179.95

The 555s are being blown out...so that's why the price is so low.

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #6 of 31
You can also consider the 555's (to 595) mod in the future. Congrats for the buy. 

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #7 of 31
Apr 16, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #9 of 31

Quote:
Don't forget to take pics 
wink.gif

keep us posted..

ok, so i did the 555 to 595 mod by removing the foam tape, and no joke, it took all of 5 minutes and was easy as pie. here's a slideshow i made:

http://s970.photobucket.com/albums/ae181/peskypesky1/Sennheiser%20HD%20555%20to%20HD%20595%20mod/?albumview=slideshow&direction=reverse

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #10 of 31
How do your HD555 sound now that you've performed the mod?

Apr 16, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #11 of 31

Quote:
How do your HD555 sound now that you've performed the mod?

well, its hard to say since i can't do a real A/B comparison. i'm not going to say that its like night and day. they sounded great before, they sound great now. if there's a difference, its probably subtle. i'm just going to take it on faith that allowing more air to flow will result in better sound.

Apr 17, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #12 of 31

Quote:
well, its hard to say since i can't do a real A/B comparison. i'm not going to say that its like night and day. they sounded great before, they sound great now. if there's a difference, its probably subtle. i'm just going to take it on faith that allowing more air to flow will result in better sound.

Could you comment on how the base response changed with the mod?  I've had my eyes on these and am tempted with the price drops.  Thanks.

Apr 17, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #13 of 31

Quote:

Well, you could try just putting the foam back in one ear and leaving it out in the other - could help you find the difference.

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #14 of 31
IMO after doing the 595 mod, the sound no longer sounded "contained". I much prefer the way they sound now to how they did. Listening to Eric Claptons -Unplugged has me looking around because i keep hearing like there is someone walking up the stairs/ walking around me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back