Just got rega ear!
May 2, 2005 at 8:48 AM Post #16 of 24
I phoned up Lintone who are based in Newcastle and he sent me one out for 148 pounds (sorry no pound symbol on this keyboard). Go to www.lintone.co.uk and take a look.

But beware the Ear supposedly won't run very nicely with low impedance, easily driven headphones due to the high gain of the amplifier - so if you later decide to buy Grado's you may not be able to use the Ear with them.

I am thinking of getting a pair of MS-1s and will have to use the headphone jack on my soundcard (which should suffice, i hope) to drive them.

May 2, 2005 at 1:52 PM Post #17 of 24
I think that the Ear had a little too much gain even with HD650. It's a good amp, nice even compared to Eddie Current HD25. Patu, how much are you going to pay for it? It used to be 215€ everywhere in Finland, now it seems to be 250 everywhere, even in MRHifi (I guess you got that demo one from there?).

May 2, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peksu
I think that the Ear had a little too much gain even with HD650. It's a good amp, nice even compared to Eddie Current HD25. Patu, how much are you going to pay for it? It used to be 215€ everywhere in Finland, now it seems to be 250 everywhere, even in MRHifi (I guess you got that demo one from there?).

I've noticed that too - suddenly it doesn't seem that attractive any more. I'm looking at the Meier audio stuff now...

/JF

May 2, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

It used to be 215€ everywhere in Finland, now it seems to be 250 everywhere, even in MRHifi (I guess you got that demo one from there?).

Yep I'm going to get it from MRHifi. Got best offer from them (210e). Would have got even better offer when it costed 215e on default (of course), but 210e will do fine. And demo one was from MRHifi also. Great service there.

And could you write me some thoughts about Zu Mobius cable upgrade in private. That might be my next upgrade. And in Finnish please.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
And could you write me some thoughts about Zu Mobius cable upgrade in private. That might be my next upgrade.

Done.

Quote:

And in Finnish please.
smily_headphones1.gif

Because of my horrible English?
rolleyes.gif

May 5, 2005 at 2:17 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Because of my horrible English?
rolleyes.gif

I just tought that Finnish would work fine between two Finnish guys. What do you think?
smily_headphones1.gif

[size=xx-small]Sorry this goes offtopic.[/size]

Damn this waiting isn't for me.
evil_smiley.gif

May 5, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Sad to hear. I just loved that combination. But I don't have anything to compare it really. It's said that V3 has very bright sound, that might match good with somewhat dark 650s.

I also didn't try V3 before, but if V3 has very bright sound, I think it's not better than rega ear, cause I think ear+hd600 is bright enough, if bright a little more, it will be noisy!

May 5, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #23 of 24
Some folks may find the X-Can v3 sounds better for them, if they like what it does... it has the valve euphony in the midrange, and although it sounds lean, it has a sweet, if not particularly detailed sound, and the bass lacks punch and conviction. The whole thing sounds a bit loose to me.

The Ear has a tighter sound, faster with more PRaT, and sounds a lot more punchy and fun. Not the last word in refinement or clarity, but what it does sounds good fun.

I wouldnt say that either amp was particularly comprehensively better than the other, but the Rega is clearly a LOT better value for some and I prefer it.

May 5, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #24 of 24
Hey guys, I just recieved my Rega Ear today. Jut got it home and plugged in and the power cord is having a heck of a time with interferance with my integrated amp??? If I move it away in a certain direction it is quiet, but the integrated is going to go in the other room so hopefully that will fix it. I'll report on the sound of Rega Ear and DT880 in another thread in a day or two once I have a greater amount of time to listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back