Just Got PSB M4U 8
Jan 22, 2018 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

cliberti

New Head-Fier
Hi All. I literally just got these from my dealer 5 minutes ago. Initial impressions are that the build quality is much better than the M4U 2. The hinges no longer pop into place and are a lot smoother. The hinge is all metal as well as the piece that goes in to the earcup. Also, the covers for the ear cups feel more solid and built in to the assembly.

I am charging them now and will report back with initial impressions tonight and follow up once I have around 100 hours on them.

Initial impression sound real similar to M4U 2. Maybe a bit more bass using the USB cable. ANC much better. Can barely tell it is on when listening to music. With music paused it is definitely there

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 49
Looking forward to your update. Can you confirm the batteries are AAA rechargeable and user replaceable? That's a big differentiator for me.

So far sounding great. Still waiting to see if it opens up any more with some time on them, but overall real similar to the M4U 2. I can't find a way to open up the headphones. The instructions don't seem to indicate that the batteries are user replaceable, however it does say keep batteries out of reach of children and Risk of explosion if the battery is replaced by an incorrect type, dispose of used batteries according to the instructions. I will try to get info from PSB if they are user serviceable.

Feb 1, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 49
Looking forward to your update. Can you confirm the batteries are AAA rechargeable and user replaceable? That's a big differentiator for me.

Alright. So, there is no mention in the manual about replacing the batteries. However, I looked closely and could see there were tabs on the left outside part of the ear cup that looked like they were there to help remove the panel. The left ear cup outer piece comes off and they have 2 standard NiMH AAA batteries that are user replaceable.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 49
Awesome. Not much in the way of real reviews yet, glad to have confirmation. The two reasonable reviews I saw mentioned you could also run regular batteries as a backup. Amazon had a crazy deal on these today, don't know when I'll get them, but they are ordered. Thanks for the follow up.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 49
I'm got my pair of PSB's today, and just have a short time with them, so this will be a shortish review that I'll come back and edit to update as I am able to try out each feature. I'll start with 2 things, the batteries, and the triple mode feature of the headphones, and then some general observations.

Based on the YouTube video's Tyll had posted last year, where Paul Barton introduced these headphones, I was going to get the HP70's. Then I found out that the PSB used AAA rechargeable battery, and they are user serviceable. In a pinch you could just carry extra rechargeable batteries, or even some Duracell’s if you ran out of juice. That's awesome, but even better is the lack of obsolescence of the headphone due to battery failure. We all know, any BT headphone is going to die. Period. Will these manufacturers make replacement batteries 10 years from now? I'm betting on the AAA battery still being around. There must be 250 million TV remotes that use AAA's. This was a brilliant move by PSB. When I read the manual today, it did appear this was also a feature in the M4U 2 as well, but I was unaware of it.

I listened to these for a few minutes out of the box via Aptx (not HD) from my Moto X Pure. I've been using a Sennheiser 4.40 BT also Aptx capable.. These sounded a little more fleshed out right out of the box vs. the 4.40, but I'll update this write up with more details on sound after I get to use them a few days. A primary use of these will be listening to podcasts via BeyondPod app on Android. I played a few minutes of one of my typical shows, and these are going to be fine for voice, no sibilance and not boomy on male voices. Most of these podcasts are 64k MP3 Mono, so there is not a lot of quality there, but so far so good.

USB Volume issues:

In addition to the Bluetooth and eventual AptX HD capability, I was interested in these for USB to a PC, and not having to have an outboard DAC/AMP. I'm a Jriver user, which always seems to be a good thing for one reason or another. The internal DAC in these is limited to 48/24. So, any higher rez files will need a transcode in Jriver to play. I configured Jriver to play native for 44.1 and 48k, and all others resample down to 48. I configured playback with WASAPI, and it’s WAY WAY too loud. As in, you get about 70-75 DB at 2 out of 100 on the volume. 10 of 100 would damage your hearing. I experienced this exact same problem with Dragonfly Black on Windows. I'm not sure what the deal is here, but to address it, in Jriver, I enabled the volume leveling (R128 - Replay gain) which will reduce most of my music down 5-10 DB. I also enabled the equalizer as FLAT, but only to use the preamp function to reduce the volume another -10DB. With those two settings, I could use about 0-50 on the volume control and have nice range.

Similarly, on Android (7 in my case) I enabled developer options and used the "Disable absolute volume" setting to unlink the headset volume control from the Android system volume. This way, you can usually set the Android volume to 100%, and then you get steps from the volume control on the headset. I find for podcasts, I could never make it quiet enough at night to listen, so I end up using both the volume on the phone, down 3-4 clicks from 100%, along with nearly zero volume on the headset. Even if you did not disable Absolute volume, these can be set to not blow your ears out, but you may find getting low listening volumes difficult.

My wife does have an iPhone, so I see about trying it out there and see how the volume works. In general, Dragonfly Black included, my experience was the volume control was much better matched to the way iOS works.

From what I've been able to read, it looks like only B&W's PX also support the ability to run as a DAC/AMP via USB, not sure if they use the same SoC as PSB for the DAC/AMP, so it may have the same volume issue.

So, Jriver is super cool right, and I can fix this volume issue, but if I wanted to use Spotify's app, it may be very difficult to get a low listening volume. Or control sound from some other music app. We'll see, I'll try those out soon.

Bluetooth range:

Seems very good. My house is roughly 20' x 40', a two story, with a basement. My test is to put the phone in the middle of the house, and then I venture to all the extremes. Upstairs, basement, no loss of signal. Solid performer!

Miscellaneous:

Packaging was nice, the case is nice, cabling, build quality, nice, nice! And they come with an EXTRA set of ear pads!! That's cool.

One other small point, that Mr. Barton highlighted in the video, the inside of the ear pads are beveled, so it makes for a good seal, and leaves more space inside for your ear so you don't get pressure points. Nice!

I'm off to cook some Chili, I'll come back later in the week and update this post with some additional usage cases, like the hardwired listening via my Oppo Ha-1, and hard wire to my phone. More to come...

First Update:

They do work via OTG USB cable on Android. They do seem to be charging off of the phone when running in this mode. Using UAPP as the player, you get excellent bit perfect playback.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #7 of 49
Just got my set! Idk why, but the box/inside smell awful lol had to air it out while charging up the headphones last night.

With that said, the headphones are awesome. Bluetooth seems to work well -- no connection interruptions, NFC pairing was easy with my Google Pixel 2 XL, and AptX HD sounds near identical to wired.

Couldn't be happier with a set of closed backs. I might have to do a full review after a couple of weeks.

Feb 24, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #8 of 49
Curious how these might compare to the Aventho. I am aware that those do not have ANC. I had the m4u -1 wired and sold them , as I considered the DT 770 the better headphone for clarity and soundstage. Wondering if that still holds true for the M4u 8 vs Aventho. Anyone have any experience? Currently using the Dt 1770 as my wired and UE 9000 as my BT.

Feb 24, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 49
Awesome. Not much in the way of real reviews yet, glad to have confirmation. The two reasonable reviews I saw mentioned you could also run regular batteries as a backup. Amazon had a crazy deal on these today, don't know when I'll get them, but they are ordered. Thanks for the follow up.
How much were they on amazon? They're full price now

Feb 24, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #11 of 49
They were about 40% off when I ordered them. And I'm sending them back. Too heavy, too much clamp, and I don't find they really beat the sound of my Sennheiser 4.40 BT's that cost 1/3. So lots of caveats with this, PSB's have Aptx HD, Tri-mode, replaceable battery. But after a week, I just don't like them much, too dark for me. The Sennheisers are super light on the head, and have l o n g battery life. I'll be hoping to get a listen on the NAD when it releases and see if I like that one better.

Feb 24, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #12 of 49
I don't want or mean to start a "thing" but I'm sending mine back as well. The head clamp is just too much for me. If they could work on improving comfort, I'd be in. I think the added bass is nice for city commuting which is what I'm doing, and the treble is perfect for voices during podcasts. For anyone watching movies or podcasts with a smaller head, these are great.

Feb 24, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #14 of 49
Took me about 2 weeks. Fit fine now. Clamp was a bit tight at first I admit. Completely different sound than my grado sr325 and best mobile sound I have found so far

ughh don't tell me that lol should I wait and see? I got them direct and they offer a 30-day return policy -- if I can keep them in pristine condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back