Just Got PSB M4U 8
Jun 14, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #31 of 49
I have the PSBs and think they sound great but I notice a lot of hiss / background noise. There’s a noticeable but tolerable amount with either ANC or Bluetooth active, but with both active, there’s almost twice the hiss. I’m surprised no one has mentioned this; in fact, I exchanged my first pair thinking I just had a bad set but the replacements sound the same.

By comparison, my Bose QC25s and QC35IIs both have no background noise with ANC active; in fact, they’re eerily quiet.

Jun 15, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #32 of 49
Do an a/b with another headphone that you like. The SQ is just not there for $400. I would get the PXC 550 over these. They are cheaper and sound better. I actually preferred them over the Sony's too, except that they looked goofy for someone bald, as do these. Again, when I say I preferred them, i mean they had greater clarity and tonality, not that I preferred how they are tuned.

Dec 13, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #34 of 49
I'm more into open backs, but always return to my PSB m4u2. Love the sound and god are those pads comfortable. More comfortable than sennheiser imo.

But, I never liked the tacky plasticky look of the PSB. The least of my concerns though. Unfortunately I dropped them a couple of times and the cup won't stay on anymore, I will fix them, but I'll get an m4u8 as well. Glad to see the reviews are good.

I have to admit though $400 is a lot considering something he400i is under $200 new. But PSB doesn't ha e the line up of a major player like Hifiman so they can't afford to sell lesser models for dirt cheap, since they don't even much of have a line up yet.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #35 of 49
I have a pair of PSB M4U 2s I really dig, and one of the things I like is that (to my ears) the sound is neutral and isn't distractingly different between the three modes.

I just got a pair of PSB M4U 8s, and it's definitely not the PSB M4U 2 but with Bluetooth I was hoping for. But one thing I was surprised didn't make it into any review I read is the bass in ANC mode. Especially in the left ear. It gets really... bloated? I even flipped them around to make sure I wasn't just imagining it, and it's definitely that one side in particular. I don't like excessive/boosted bass, so I can't tell if I'm being overly sensitive to it.

Another issue is that sometimes I'll be listening to music and suddenly it's just pumping loud static into my ears until I pause/play or turn the headphones off, then on. Like when an old television used to hit a channel without a signal. Really startling if you're just relaxing.

Is that normal in some models/types of headphones, or has anyone else noticed that?

I bought them used so I can't get a warranty replacement, but I'm curious if I should give the M4U 8s another chance from an official retailer.

I had to replace my PSB M4U 2s within a month of purchase (thankfully under warranty), so I'm on the fence about whether this seems like a manufacturing defect or not.

The M4U 2 and M4U 8 have design details I appreciate, such as having a jack in both ears and running off normal batteries (great for long periods of travel) so I'm willing to overlook certain annoyances, but the above two make me consider consigning the M4U 8s to the Sad Face pile.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #36 of 49
I received a new pair of M4U 8'S and couldn't get them to charge. PSB sent me a replacement set - also brand new - and these, too, won't charge. I've tried the included USB cable as well as high quality after market cables, and various USB wall chargers, but no luck. Here's what happens:

I plug in the micro USB cable and the red light slowly blinks. Then, after about a minute, the red light begins to blink rapidly. With the first pair, I was able to get them to fully charge once after several attempts, but the next time I kept them plugged in for 30 hours and the red light continued to rapidly blink. With the new pair, I took them out of the box and I've had them plugged in for 25 hours and the red light is still rapidly blinking.

According to tech support, the light should turn solid red once they have finished charging. Not sure if that's accurate or not. Also, they could not tell me the difference between the initial, slow blinking red light and the rapid binking light, and there is no mention of these lights in the documentation. My hunch is that the slow blinking red light means that they are charging and the rapid one indicates an error of some kind, but I have no idea if that's true. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 29, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #37 of 49
I have a pair of PSB M4U 2s I really dig, and one of the things I like is that (to my ears) the sound is neutral and isn't distractingly different between the three modes.

I just got a pair of PSB M4U 8s, and it's definitely not the PSB M4U 2 but with Bluetooth I was hoping for. But one thing I was surprised didn't make it into any review I read is the bass in ANC mode. Especially in the left ear. It gets really... bloated? I even flipped them around to make sure I wasn't just imagining it, and it's definitely that one side in particular. I don't like excessive/boosted bass, so I can't tell if I'm being overly sensitive to it.

Another issue is that sometimes I'll be listening to music and suddenly it's just pumping loud static into my ears until I pause/play or turn the headphones off, then on. Like when an old television used to hit a channel without a signal. Really startling if you're just relaxing.

Is that normal in some models/types of headphones, or has anyone else noticed that?

I bought them used so I can't get a warranty replacement, but I'm curious if I should give the M4U 8s another chance from an official retailer.

I had to replace my PSB M4U 2s within a month of purchase (thankfully under warranty), so I'm on the fence about whether this seems like a manufacturing defect or not.

The M4U 2 and M4U 8 have design details I appreciate, such as having a jack in both ears and running off normal batteries (great for long periods of travel) so I'm willing to overlook certain annoyances, but the above two make me consider consigning the M4U 8s to the Sad Face pile.

I know it's been quite a long time since you posted, but I completely agree with your assessment of the bloated bass in ANC mode. Also, to my ears, passive mode sounds muffled and active mode sounds bright and thin. I'll likely keep mine due to the same design features you mentioned- cable ports on both ears, replaceable batteries, etc., but I am pretty disappointed in the degree to which the sound varies from position to position. Top-level PSB support didn't confirm this, but they said it may have something to do with the quality of the DAC from the source, i.e. streaming from a cell phone vs. high-end audio equipment. Of course, these issues didn't exist with the M4U 2's. They also said to make sure that the volume of the source is up all the way, rather than relying on the volume controls on the headphones.

Hope this helps!

Jan 29, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #38 of 49
I received a new pair of M4U 8'S and couldn't get them to charge. PSB sent me a replacement set - also brand new - and these, too, won't charge. I've tried the included USB cable as well as high quality after market cables, and various USB wall chargers, but no luck. Here's what happens:

I plug in the micro USB cable and the red light slowly blinks. Then, after about a minute, the red light begins to blink rapidly. With the first pair, I was able to get them to fully charge once after several attempts, but the next time I kept them plugged in for 30 hours and the red light continued to rapidly blink. With the new pair, I took them out of the box and I've had them plugged in for 25 hours and the red light is still rapidly blinking.

According to tech support, the light should turn solid red once they have finished charging. Not sure if that's accurate or not. Also, they could not tell me the difference between the initial, slow blinking red light and the rapid binking light, and there is no mention of these lights in the documentation. My hunch is that the slow blinking red light means that they are charging and the rapid one indicates an error of some kind, but I have no idea if that's true. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I was having this issue too. I was using an iPhone charger with usb cord. Switched to an amazon one with proper specs based on a response from PSB and they charge properly.

Jan 29, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #40 of 49
Hi - could you tell me what those specs are? I've tried all kinds of USB chargers and NONE of them work. Thank you. :)

herenis what they told me. They also said to try cleaning the charging port. Ordering an android charger worked though.Please ensure that you are using a high current USB power supply with 5V @ 1.5 ~2.0 amps for Android phones/tablets. Apple chargers are not recommended as they may stop charging when the charger detects the M4U 8's are not an Apple product

Jan 29, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #41 of 49
Thank you. I'm trying my Samsung fast charging wall charger now. Just seems kinda lame that these $400 headphones require very specific charging conditions - especially when people tend to use these for travel. USB ports in planes, airports and hotels likely will not work. :frowning2:

Jan 29, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #42 of 49
Anyone have any recommendations how to safely remove the ear pads? These are unlike those on the M4U 2's and I'm afraid I'll damage/stretch the vinyl if I try to grip from the inside and pull...

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #43 of 49
before Covid I was using the 8's to watch a lot of movies when travelling, and Paul Barton and his team have really nailed it in that department
even the InnerFidelity chap agrees with - watch from 13:50

I have sold all my Bose and other NC headphones, very happy with the PSB's

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #45 of 49
I got the same email response back from PSB re the USB charging with Apple stuff - its a NO NO folks :wink:

Please ensure that you are using a high current USB power supply with 5V @ 1.5 ~2.0 amps for Android phones/tablets etc

Do not use any Apple chargers, these are not recommended

Users who are viewing this thread

Back