Just Got PSB M4U 8
Mar 1, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #16 of 49
Do these sound any different from the M4u-1's? I did not care for those. The DT 770's sounded better.

May 4, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #17 of 49
Well this died quickly. Anyone else. Buy a pair that liked them? They seem to have good reviews

May 21, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #18 of 49
Well this died quickly. Anyone else. Buy a pair that liked them? They seem to have good reviews

I own a pair and they have replaced the M4U2 that I have used extensively.

Positives

- Comfortable. I have fairly large ears and they press against the edges but are not intrusive
- Connectivity. The options for wired and wireless allows good versatility. I travel a fair bit and it's a nice travel headphone,
- excellent battery life
- Good sound quality wired and wireless
- excellent noise cancellation with useful monitor feature
- Good bass slam, maybe slightly lacking in low bass rumble
- non fatiguing mid range
- Decent treble extension with sibilance only noticeable on poor recordings
- APTX Bluetooth sound quality is excellent.

Slightly Negative

- Wireless can sound a little artificial with SOME music
- mids are somewhat recessed (vocals are sometimes too subdued)
- Not a basshead headphone
- buttons are not intuitive

Negative

- Bluetooth Pairing is locked on to last device. Even when trying to pair to a new device it immediately locks on to the last paired device. The only way I have found to pair to a secondary device is to forget the M4U8 on the current device and re-pair on the 2nd.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #19 of 49
I actually got a pair and quickly sent them back. I was not impressed with the sound. My UE9000 sounded better. They also look really goofy with a shaved head. They are just massive. Ue9000 does not look much better, but it's still an improvement. With ldac and hi res files, the Wh 1000x mk2 is superior.

Jun 11, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #20 of 49
I'm considering these. They are usually 480 dollars in my country, but are now available for 315 dollars. However, I do have some requirements.

1. How is the latency when watching videos, like YouTube or Netflix?
2. How is the leakage? Will I bother other people in a quiet environment?

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #21 of 49
Latency and leakage are fine, but they are mediocre headphones. Don't buy them. The crossfade sounds better. Sonys sound better than both.im reading about the mobius now and am curious about it for music.

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #22 of 49
I'm considering these. They are usually 480 dollars in my country, but are now available for 315 dollars. However, I do have some requirements.

1. How is the latency when watching videos, like YouTube or Netflix?
2. How is the leakage? Will I bother other people in a quiet environment?

1. No latency (I've only used them on Android via aPTX)

2. I've used them at night with my wife asleep with no issues.

Jun 13, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #24 of 49
Latency and leakage are fine, but they are mediocre headphones. Don't buy them. The crossfade sounds better. Sonys sound better than both.im reading about the mobius now and am curious about it for music.
My search for low leakage and low latency headphones have lead me to three different ones; B&W PX, Beats Studio3 and now the M4U 8. The PXs are too expensive. Would you say that the M4U 8 are worse than the Beats?

Jun 13, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #25 of 49
My search for low leakage and low latency headphones have lead me to three different ones; B&W PX, Beats Studio3 and now the M4U 8. The PXs are too expensive. Would you say that the M4U 8 are worse than the Beats?

I've listened to the Beats Studio 3 briefly and found the bass to be a bit exaggerated to the point that it obscured the lower mids. I also found the treble to be all over the map. Depending on the track it sometimes seemed recessed and other times quite sibilant.

I find the PSBs to be balanced and capable with a wide range of material. I watch movies on flights regularly and dialogue is very clear and balanced left to right and while I have better options for music, I'm never disappointed if I only have the PSBs with me.

Jun 13, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #26 of 49
I've listened to the Beats Studio 3 briefly and found the bass to be a bit exaggerated to the point that it obscured the lower mids. I also found the treble to be all over the map. Depending on the track it sometimes seemed recessed and other times quite sibilant.

I find the PSBs to be balanced and capable with a wide range of material. I watch movies on flights regularly and dialogue is very clear and balanced left to right and while I have better options for music, I'm never disappointed if I only have the PSBs with me.
That's nice to hear. I don't have a lot of options. The Bose QC35 leak too much. The same goes for Sony 1000XM2 and H900N (h.ear on 2). Sennheiser headphones don't support AAC. The M4U 8 is currently cheaper than the Beats Studio3. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Jun 13, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #27 of 49
I did not think the Sony's leaked much at all. I would listen to them next to my wife who complains about all noises, and she never said a thing. I went through all the major BT headphones and determined that the Sonys were the best. I thought the PSB m4u8 just do not sound good. I ultimately even returned the Sony's and bought an Es100 to use with my Dt 1770. The PSB is also a giant headphone.

Jun 13, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #28 of 49
I don’t find these all that giant for an over the ear headphone. Also, if you are comparing these to a UE9000 and prefer it then we have vastly different tastes in headphones. You are the only person in this thread who doesn’t like them so take it for what it is worth. To me the highs are good, midrange sounds fine, not bass heavy but it does emphasize the bass a bit. In terms of soundstage I would say it is ok. It doesn’t compare to an open back headphone but is perfectly acceptable for a closed design

Jun 13, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #29 of 49
You are welcome to like what you like. To me, the issue was overall clarity and tone. I did A/B with this and the UE9000, and the UE had better clarity and tone. I thought the same thing of the M4U 1. It was highly rated, but had zero bass (even with EQ), and the guitars sounded like crap. I ended up keeping the Dt 770 in that search, which were cheaper and sound better. I EQ all my headphones to my preference, son I'm not basing it on that. Purely on clarity and tonality, I was disappointed. Also, several people on page 1 said the same thing. I'm not the loan voice here. Again, you are welcome to like whatever you want, but there are better sounding headphones available for cheaper .

Jun 13, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #30 of 49
When I compared, I purchased the Aventho, Crossfade wireless ii ,PSB M4u8, Wh1000x mk2, and I tech h2. The Sony's sounded the best with ldac and power amp upscale, followed by Crossfade, and the other two just lacked clarity. The aventho were the worst. The I tech was decent ,but I'm not an in ear guy. As I said, I ended with the ES100, because nothing sounded as good as the DT1770's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back