Just got my V4 with booster
Feb 7, 2003 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

samwY

New Head-Fier
Um...

Right now, its "burning in" through my computer sound card (Live 5.1)...I'm playing from my Winamp

I think the sound is more clear and more up front WITHOUT the amp...it just sounds more deep and bassy with my supermini plugged into the sound card...

Will the sound drastically change after 30 hours? 100 hours of burn in?

Also, if I put the supermini to full volume, I hear lots of air noise...so I guess we all usually put the volume around 75% to max? Should I burn in at full volume?

My ears hurt, the bass from the amp shakes my eardrums...i feel it

Hmm, mixed feelings...but it seems pretty good

Feb 7, 2003 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 13
Give it time. It will definitely get better with time. The bass will tighten up and the soundstage will widen. Just wait and see. How many volts are you giving it? 4.5? 9? That could(maybe) speed up the burn in process.
-Mag

Feb 7, 2003 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 13
I have the booster, or whatever this thing sticking out near the output is.

How does one connect the three extra AAA batteries to this?
I can't figure it out???
It looks like 9V can plug into it and dangle...but what about AAA?

Feb 7, 2003 at 3:55 AM Post #4 of 13
I'm in the middle of burn in as well. Out of the envelope it sucked, my reciever and d25s headphone jack was much better. However, after about 30 hours so far of burning it's getting much better. Optimal is 200 hours of burn-in, and even after that it still slightly gets better over time. You have the connector than CAN attatch the AAA booster, but you do NOT have the booster itself. The booster is another black case were you can put another 3 AAA batteries and connect to the amp to double the voltage. Without it you can still get the benefits of double voltage by just plugging in a 9V battery (WITHOUT THE AAA BATTERIES INSERTED) and the amp automatically switches power sources. However, the battery life is MUCH lower with a 9V batttery than 6 AAA batteries. The booster is an additional $20 and it's sold out right now. Also, the amp will not work if you don't keep that terminal connector on where the 9V battery/booster connects.

Feb 7, 2003 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 13
You can get a four AAA battery case at Radio Shack. It's the same case the amp comes in, complete with switch. Get some battery connectors. Hook a battery connector up to the case. You've now got a booster for under $5, IIRC. I use seven AAA NiMH cells, giving 8.4 v total. I use velcro to hold the two cases together. If you're using alkalines, and want to hold the voltage to nine volts, use six batteries, and run a wire where the seventh battery would sit.

Feb 7, 2003 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 13
What type of wire?
How would one go about implementing this wire doohicky?

Feb 7, 2003 at 7:09 AM Post #7 of 13
you don't even need to get the same exact case. You could try using this 3 AAA battery holder from radio shack (270-412), get a pack of 9V connectors (270-324 or 270-325), hook the wire leads together (tied with eletrical tape or solder, whatever you want) and there, instant booster for about 4-5 bux.

Feb 7, 2003 at 3:22 PM Post #8 of 13
I burned it in for only 5 hours or so

the sound coming out of the amp sounds dark and unprojected...
my PCDP amp sounds so much more clear and crisp...is this just because I didn't burn in the amp yet? I hope so! or I will be very disappointed...only thing so far that I can tell is the amp can give much louder sound, but the quality is so much worse, again - is this because I didn't burn it in?

Also, since I bought this for my PCDP, i want to use my remote that came with it...but I only can use it if i plug it into the headphone out. So I have

PCDP Headphone jack<---> REMOTE <--> AMP <---> HEADPHONE

Is that okay?

Am I missing out on the AMP capabilities if I'm not plugging it into the Lineout/Optical out on my PDCD? Like this:

PCDP Lineout jack <--> AMP <---> HEADPHONE

Please help, I appreciate it
Thanks

Feb 7, 2003 at 3:28 PM Post #9 of 13
Okay I think I'll be using my setup like this.

pcdc lineout <--> amp <--> headphone

with

headphone jack <--> remote

My remote is not going to have any headphones plugged it.
It's gonna seem like my headphones are wireless! LOL

Wow, the sound is really loud with this amp. I just hope it gets better sound quality.

ONE GRIPE I HAVE:
I think its stupid how the INPUT is near the volume control and the OUTPUT is at the other end. It should be the other way around. Its backwards.

Feb 7, 2003 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 13
samwY: I know I tried to get him to invert the input/output on it, but he said it wouldnt work that way. It certianly would be better that way, Oh well, no ones perfect. It's still a great little amp.
-Mag

Feb 7, 2003 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 13
Mine is turning out to be very cable sensitive. I'm using a Rat Shack RCA to mini adapter on my home-brew Silver Sonic BL-1 mini to RCA, for use as mini to mini. That cable sounds great. When I switch to the Kimber mini to RCA instead of the BL-1, the clarity is gone. YMMV.

Feb 7, 2003 at 6:17 PM Post #12 of 13
I'm using the OFC from fixup.net
cost me $15 so I'm sure its high quality.

I just hope the sound IMPROVES DRAMATICALLY as I burn it in more.

LINEOUT/OPTICAL OUT = better sound quality? No one answered that yet.

wink.gif

Feb 7, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by samwY

LINEOUT/OPTICAL OUT = better sound quality? No one answered that yet.

If you plug the amp into the headphone output of your pcdp, it cannot possibly sound better than the headphone output, because that is the signal that you are amplifying. You're not processing the sound, just amplifying it.

When you use the line output, you're bypassing the amplifier section of your portable, and using the outboard amplifier instead. So, you don't hear any of the degradation that the built-in amplifier produces.

By all means use the line output with the super-mini. You don't need to amplify the signal twice. You want to do it only once, with the best amplifier you've got, to get the best sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back