Just got my Ultimate Ears CSX 11's...experience from Fit Kit to in my ears
Jun 22, 2019 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 81

YankeeFan

New Head-Fier
OK...have been pretty much lurking and learning as much as I can from all the great folks on this forum.

Purchased a few KZ IEM's (ZS 10 Pro, ZSN Pro and AS16's) and was happy with what I was experiencing.
I also have a couple of True Wireless IEM's...Master & Dynamic MW 07's and Jabra Elite 65t's. Bordering on obsession, yes...

Then I saw an ad on FB for the UE CSX Line of IEM's and was intrigued. They had a Memorial Day Sale and I pulled the trigger on the CSX 11's which are a step below the top of the line CSX 18+.

Prior to ordering I had a couple of questions about the process etc and called Ultimate Ears, the person I spoke to (I had called the Professional Dept) told me who to speak to / email and Lorden was patient with me and answered all questions promptly.

Within two days I got the Fit Kit in the mail and right away I downloaded the Fit Kit App and with the help of my wife and daughter followed directions and took the required impressions of both of my ears. Its a very quick process with the steps you need to follow in the app. Once they ear tips are in your ear and the molding process starts it takes just 60 seconds and you are done. During this time the ear tips get warm as they mold to your inner ear. Then I packaged it all up and it was ready to send back to Ultimate Ears.

UE Fit Kit.jpg

While the package includes a return label, its not next day so the maniac that I am I sent the Fit Kit back at my own cost so it would get there Next Day.

Then the waiting began....

Funny thing about the waiting...as it turns out, Ultimate Ears Offices are located in Irvine California, less than 5 mins from my Corp HQ (Im in NY)...I happened to be in Irvine the week they got my Fit Kit back so I stopped by their offices. One person was nicer than the next, and they handled a pain in the ass like me in the best way possible. I of course asked them to rush my IEM production but they said they were so inundated with orders (a great problem to have) that it would be almost impossible to do so.

So wait I did...and then on Thursday I got them in...which was a little longer than the 10 days they say but was well worth the wait...

UE CSX 11 Package.JPG
UE CSX 11 Close-up.JPG

All I can say is WOW!

First of all the fit is PERFECT and it truly feels as if these were made for me (because they were) and while I haven't worn them for a long period of time yet I will be doing so as I travel almost every week by Air somewhere for business so these will get a lot of use which is how I justified the purchase to myself. The fit and finish as well as the accessories included are all top notch. The CSX 11's come with a headphone cord and a Bluetooth Cord, I also purchased an additional BT Cord and got the leather case you see in the above pic.

CSX 11's.png

Now to the sound.

Don't want to overuse the word...but WOW again...

The 4 speakers per side (Balanced Armatures) are naturally noise cancelling..crisp and clean with fantastic sounding bass as well as the perfect soundstage.

When using with the BT Cable you can also take advantage of the UE Custom EQ App and tailor make the sound to your liking with any of the many presets or truly custom make your own to your individual taste (which I did)...

To sum up...I am VERY satisfied with my purchase thus far..customer service has been second to none... and I will post my longer term impressions as I start to use these in my everyday life....They aren't inexpensive but what is that's truly worth it?

Jul 1, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 81
Ok...so just over a week into using the CSX 11’s...using the Bluetooth cable exclusively and not just for music, for phone calls as well.
What’s interesting is the mic is located behind the right ear so I thought there would be issues hearing me but from conference calls to 1:1 calls there were no complaints and I also asked to be sure and everyone said they could hear me clearly.
Used them on a couple of plane rides as well, the natural noise cancellation was just enough and the Bluetooth range was fantastic, I left my phone in my seat and went to the bathroom wearing the CSX 11’s and the connection was crystal clear and I didn’t miss a beat of music.
Absolutely love the app and the ability to adjust EQ to my liking...
Looking good for long term satisfaction with my purchase...

Jul 24, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 81
Thank you so much for the rundown. I placed my order today after being on the fence for a few months. So glad to hear it worked out for you and I’m now playing the waiting game. Haha.

One thing I’m definitely more curious about is the isolation on planes. I travel a bit for work and if these can really replace NC headphones that will make me even happier as the pressure from NC on headphones bothers me a bit. I’d mostly use them wired as I have a few portable DACs I like to run. Dragonfly Cobalt for travel portability specifically.

Oh and good choice on the color, that’s what I picked too.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #5 of 81
I’m glad you had a good experience with these, but I didn’t. I ordered a pair of CSX and used the fitkit but the initial pair didn’t fit correctly. The concha part was great, but the protrusion that inserted into my fossa was too sharp on one side and caused pain to wear, while on the other side it didn’t fit securely. I returned them twice for fit adjustment, but the first time the adjustments made the problem worse while the second time the fossa section was removed on one earpiece, which meant it didn’t fit securely. UE offered great customer service though and let me return the earpieces for a full refund. I’ll also say that the sound was just awesome and I’m disappointed I had to return them for fit issues.

For anyone considering these it’s worth noting that you can get a free upgrade from the CSX fit (using the fitkit) to a pro fit (using impressions) by contacting customer service. The other thing to note is that the CSX fit is shallower and protrudes more from the ear than the CSX fit. This makes the CSX easier to insert and remove but less secure and less isolating.

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #6 of 81
For anyone considering these it’s worth noting that you can get a free upgrade from the CSX fit (using the fitkit) to a pro fit (using impressions) by contacting customer service. The other thing to note is that the CSX fit is shallower and protrudes more from the ear than the CSX fit. This makes the CSX easier to insert and remove but less secure and less isolating.

This worries me a little bit...as I would like to have them as tight and secure as possible. I have issues w/ my right ear being a different size than my left and a lot of universals fit one side but not the other, so that's why I figured custom was the way to go. We'll see soon enough I suppose. I might just have to upgrade to pro fit if the csx isn't what I imagined my 1k would get me.

PS - you must be the guy from the youtube video I watched. Everyone's ears are different so hopefully I'm one of the lucky ones like the OP.

Jul 24, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #7 of 81
This worries me a little bit...as I would like to have them as tight and secure as possible. I have issues w/ my right ear being a different size than my left and a lot of universals fit one side but not the other, so that's why I figured custom was the way to go. We'll see soon enough I suppose. I might just have to upgrade to pro fit if the csx isn't what I imagined my 1k would get me.

PS - you must be the guy from the youtube video I watched. Everyone's ears are different so hopefully I'm one of the lucky ones like the OP.

Nope, no YouTube vid from me...which makes me think I'm not the only one this happened to.

I wouldn't be worried if I were you. UE customer service is awesome and there's a 60 day money back guarantee. I have no issues recommending them, albeit with caveats.

My feeling is that the FitKit isnt all its cracked up to be. After I did my impressions there was definitely an air bubble in the fossa area on one side. I actually wonder if this was the issue for me. If you do have fit problems, I'd recommend asking if you can re-do the impressions rather than getting a fit adjustment. That's the only thing I didn't do and could do the trick...

Jul 24, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #8 of 81
My feeling is that the FitKit isnt all its cracked up to be. After I did my impressions there was definitely an air bubble in the fossa area on one side. I actually wonder if this was the issue for me. If you do have fit problems, I'd recommend asking if you can re-do the impressions rather than getting a fit adjustment. That's the only thing I didn't do and could do the trick...

Well now I'm nervous again lol. Fitkit shipped today, so hopefully I have some better luck. If it doesn't work the first time I'll just make the hour drive down to Irvine (their headquarters) to get fitted in their shop. For the price and amount of time I expect these to last, it'll be worth the trek to get a correct fit I'd say.

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 81
I wouldn’t be nervous...as thescientist says..Ultimate Ears Customer Service is second to none...as I stated in my original post, I visited them in the Irvine HQ and they were all very attentive and nice

The more I wear the CSX 11’s the better they feel as my ears are getting more and more used to them in my ears...

When using the fit kit make sure you try the small and the large ear molds in your ears...you may need a small in one ear and a large in the other and when taking the 60 second measure of your ears make sure they are pressed firmly into each ear...

Good luck and let us know how they turn out...

Aug 12, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #13 of 81
Did you get them?

No, I’m kind of disappointed so far. They said they’d BY today, but no notification as of now.

I did ask that I get the regular bax cable from the PRO version instead of the Bluetooth and microphone cable...just a personal preference of mine as I’ll be running them out of my Dragonfly cobalt amp anyway. So a mic isn’t necessary.

Anyway, I’ll let you know when/if they arrive.

Aug 12, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #14 of 81
No, I’m kind of disappointed so far. They said they’d BY today, but no notification as of now.

I did ask that I get the regular bax cable from the PRO version instead of the Bluetooth and microphone cable...just a personal preference of mine as I’ll be running them out of my Dragonfly cobalt amp anyway. So a mic isn’t necessary.

Anyway, I’ll let you know when/if they arrive.

Sorry to hear that, have you contacted them to ask what the holdup is? Maybe you can get them to at least send to you next day?

Aug 12, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #15 of 81
Sorry to hear that, have you contacted them to ask what the holdup is? Maybe you can get them to at least send to you next day?

Nah, don’t need them overnighted as I’m away for work till Thursday anyway, so was just going to give em a day or two and then I’ll check back in with them. It took them three days to respond to my bax cable request so it’s not like I’m expecting a quick response. And it said by the 12th...so tomorrow will be the first day after the ship date. I’ll check w/ them I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back