Just got my Ultimate Ears CSX 11's...experience from Fit Kit to in my ears
Jan 31, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #76 of 81
A little follow up on my experience with my CSX 5's ... I got my 2nd set of UE's in early September, after getting approved to have them redone with professional molds. I continue to love them - I wear them a few times a week to listen to music, watch movies/videos, etc. I fly a lot for work and they are amazing when flying. The natural noise suppression is incredible. I "test" the noise suppression on most flights, and I have no plans to stop using them when flying. Along similar lines, I've stopped using my over the ear "racing" headphones that I wear while riding my lawn tractor and also use when I attend NASCAR (and other) races. At the races, I hook a scanner into my headset to listen to drivers, the radio and TV broadcast - it's a great way for us to get more insight at a race. The UE's blow away the clarity and noise suppression I get with the headset -- which is a mid-range headset with both scanner input and a microphone that connects to a wireless radio.

I've been mostly pleased with the performance from the bluetooth cable, and the attached battery. I can usually get the hours of usage I'm looking for.

My one recurring problem is the wired cable. I've requested 2 replacement cables already as I've had two of them break at the end of the connector on my right ear. I follow the recommendations for use and storage - when using the cable, I loop it over my ear. When separating from the IEM, I take care to use 2 fingers to provide pressure against the IEM and pull on the connector - not the cable, and when storing I loosely wrap them around 3 fingers and then store the cable in the case.

I'm thinking about adding some heat shrink tubing over the connector end and down about an inch to try to give this part of the cable more strength.

Has anyone else had issues with the wired cable? I've had success with getting 2 replacement cables sent out, but I am sure that UE is not going to keep supplying me with a $100 retail cable for free.

20191227_114924.jpg

Mar 13, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #77 of 81
I ordered the UE CSX 18+ Fostex TM2 combo. They have an offer on their website which I could not refuse. 1299+tax for the 18+ CSX true wireless combo. After reading this thread i promptly asked them if i can choose to use a scan or visit the audiologist instead of the fitkit. The customer service says the CSX line cannot be created from the earmold and the ear scan is no longer available in my area (bay area). So i gave the fitkit a try. I sent in the fitkit in large size last week and the technician said the large was not a good fit for me so they asked me to mold a small tip and send to them again. Just sent in the molded small tips today but I'm still worried that the fitkit won't create as good as the earmold or scan for fit/seal. I also noticed the receiving address is not the UE custom lab in Irvine but an address in Hayward, CA. (a city in the east bay area.) I'm going to ask them whether i can pay them a visit in person if the fit is not ideal.(which i assume it will be delayed due to the ongoing virus situation.) Thanks everyone who posted on this thread and i will update it once i received the earphones.

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #79 of 81
I ordered the UE CSX 18+ Fostex TM2 combo. They have an offer on their website which I could not refuse. 1299+tax for the 18+ CSX true wireless combo. After reading this thread i promptly asked them if i can choose to use a scan or visit the audiologist instead of the fitkit. The customer service says the CSX line cannot be created from the earmold and the ear scan is no longer available in my area (bay area). So i gave the fitkit a try. I sent in the fitkit in large size last week and the technician said the large was not a good fit for me so they asked me to mold a small tip and send to them again. Just sent in the molded small tips today but I'm still worried that the fitkit won't create as good as the earmold or scan for fit/seal. I also noticed the receiving address is not the UE custom lab in Irvine but an address in Hayward, CA. (a city in the east bay area.) I'm going to ask them whether i can pay them a visit in person if the fit is not ideal.(which i assume it will be delayed due to the ongoing virus situation.) Thanks everyone who posted on this thread and i will update it once i received the earphones.

@tedliu Did you ever receive your UE's?

Aug 22, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #80 of 81
I like my CSX UE7s, but... they're rather tight, and do get uncomfortable after a while. I really regret not having gone full-fit (I had mine done at NAMM 2019 so both options were available) but asking for a smaller nozzle instead, CSX-like.

When I got them they were just uncomfortable so I sent them back with some instructions on where it hurt. It DOES seem as if they got fixed, but the fit is still not quite what I'd expect out of a custom.
That same NAMM show I got some InEarz Euphoria the old-school way and these fit PERFECTLY. But, the nozzle is long and it's painful to insert them due to the shape of my ear-canals.

If only I knew then what I know now...

Nov 1, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #81 of 81
Just got my 2nd try CSX 5's about 2 weeks ago. The first set didn't seal properly, as I was missing the bass and a lot of detail. I decided to spend the $60 to have an audiologist create impressions and sent them to UE, who made a new pair and sent to me. Only, UPS lost them along the way. UE put in a claim with UPS and made a third pair and sent to me. That Lorden really is something else when it comes to great customer service. Wish the story ended well there. The 3rd pair (2nd ones lost) had about the same fit issues as the first pair. I noticed someone on this thread had said if he pressed iightly on the UE's, the sound was right on - me too! They sound fantastic that way, so trying to find a way to use the Comply foam strips to re-create a good seal. Not sure if suppose to wrap them around the tips of the earpiece, the base of the earpiece, or somewhere else on the mold. Since these molds were based on the audiologists impressions, UE won't be able to do anything more for me on the fit issue. Has anyone here had any success using the Comply strips to get a good seal? If so, how/where did you apply the strips at? Thanks for any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back