Just got my Ultimate Ears CSX 11's...experience from Fit Kit to in my ears
Sep 23, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #46 of 81
Well, after using them for another 4 days, I think I'm going to have the right one completely re-done. It just isn't right and I'm not paying a grand for a headphone that's not perfect. I emailed them to find out what they want to do in terms of next steps. I'm assuming I'll just go and get a impression done for my right ear and just send that in. I really don't want them messing w/ the left one, so no need to re-shell it. Ugh. Pain, but if it's a headphone I'm going to have for years, I want perfection or I'm going to return them. A grand is still a grand. :)

Sep 25, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #47 of 81
Well, they told me I could do the audiologist impressions and get them re-done in the "pro" shells. So that's what I'm going to do. Yeah, another 50-60 bucks for impressions and another wait, but I love how they sound so having the deeper insertion, with the real impressions, is the smart thing to do. Yeah this process has been going on for over a month now, but I'm cool with it. Like I said, spending a grand on some headphones I'll have for years, I'd like to be 100% satisfied so I'm going to be patient. :)

Sep 25, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #48 of 81
Well, they told me I could do the audiologist impressions and get them re-done in the "pro" shells. So that's what I'm going to do. Yeah, another 50-60 bucks for impressions and another wait, but I love how they sound so having the deeper insertion, with the real impressions, is the smart thing to do. Yeah this process has been going on for over a month now, but I'm cool with it. Like I said, spending a grand on some headphones I'll have for years, I'd like to be 100% satisfied so I'm going to be patient. :)

UE doesn't give you the option to stop by their office to do digital impressions since your going pro?

$ saved by bypassing traditional impressions better spent on petrol or a Metrolink ticket to Irvine?

Sep 25, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #49 of 81
UE doesn't give you the option to stop by their office to do digital impressions since your going pro?

$ saved by bypassing traditional impressions better spent on petrol or a Metrolink ticket to Irvine?

They never mentioned that. However, after thinking about driving down there, I realized that I would rather spend 50 bucks on impressions locally than spending all day in the car. It's a good 2 hours each way in LA traffic. No thanks. I make a lot more than $12.50 an hour. LOL.

Sep 25, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #50 of 81
They never mentioned that. However, after thinking about driving down there, I realized that I would rather spend 50 bucks on impressions locally than spending all day in the car. It's a good 2 hours each way in LA traffic. No thanks. I make a lot more than $12.50 an hour. LOL.

Understand, but what if the traditional impressions are not perfect? Another risk to consider if you have to spend time to repeat this process.

Sep 25, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #51 of 81
I noticed another possible option. UE has third-party sellers on their website that offers 3D Ear impressions around SoCal.

I wonder if you can get digital impressions at these third-party shops without buying directly from the shop?

Anyways if cost isn't an issue, this audiologist sounds interesting:

https://www.musicianshearingsolutions.com/contact

If I get tradition impressions next year will consider this place...

Sep 25, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #53 of 81
Welp, called the closest 3D scan place and they said they sent the machine back to UE and they don't do much business with them anymore. Nearest one from me now is 53 miles. No thanks. I'll get regular impressions done and if those don't work, well...I don't know.

Sep 25, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #54 of 81
Welp, called the closest 3D scan place and they said they sent the machine back to UE and they don't do much business with them anymore. Nearest one from me now is 53 miles. No thanks. I'll get regular impressions done and if those don't work, well...I don't know.

Have faith...I’m sure they will turn out great in the end...

Oct 2, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #55 of 81
Wonder if I could get a bit of input from you guys who are using the CSX's. I just ordered my 18+ CSX's, but the only forum group for that one is more "Pro" than CSX.

How is the "fatigue factor" when you listen for a whole flight? I am hoping the custom fit alleviates that for me
How hard/annoying is it to remove them to actually talk to other humans for a bit when it can't be avoided? With my old universal fit IEM's I found the process of removing/reinserting to be a big hassle, is that better with the CIEM's?
I see some use these on conference calls, is the experience still good with that? The whole BT setup with it behind your head seems a bit odd to me, so are the buttons actually usable? Dos the mic pickup ok ?
Anyone use these plugged right in to a Galaxy S9? Assuming good quality FLAC files is that OK as a source? Is it worth the hassle of travelling with a separate DAC/AMP ?

thanks for any advice

Oct 2, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #56 of 81
Wonder if I could get a bit of input from you guys who are using the CSX's. I just ordered my 18+ CSX's, but the only forum group for that one is more "Pro" than CSX.

How is the "fatigue factor" when you listen for a whole flight? I am hoping the custom fit alleviates that for me
How hard/annoying is it to remove them to actually talk to other humans for a bit when it can't be avoided? With my old universal fit IEM's I found the process of removing/reinserting to be a big hassle, is that better with the CIEM's?
I see some use these on conference calls, is the experience still good with that? The whole BT setup with it behind your head seems a bit odd to me, so are the buttons actually usable? Dos the mic pickup ok ?
Anyone use these plugged right in to a Galaxy S9? Assuming good quality FLAC files is that OK as a source? Is it worth the hassle of travelling with a separate DAC/AMP ?

thanks for any advice

I use my CSX 11’s all the time on flights of various lengths including to California on a regular basis. I also wear them when out for long periods of time and use the Bluetooth setup all the time for phone calls and music etc
I find that I can practically wear them all day and experience no issues at all. They are perfect fitting in my ears. It did take using for a week or so to feel this way but as I said....now they are perfect.

Im on conference calls etc and no one has issues hearing me nor do I have any issues hearing the calls. I do hope they come up with an updated version though with Bluetooth 5.0 and maybe a different mic and control placement as I think it could be a little better.

As for pulling them out to have a conversation, it is a bit more to do than if they were not custom fitted but not that bad and I only pull out one...have my conversation then put back...

Overall to say I don’t think you will have any problems....I certainly don’t.

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #57 of 81
I've been watching this thread for a while. I ordered 2 CSX5's - one for me, one for my wife - along with some custom colors, etc.

We've had them for about 6 weeks now and both sets are going back with professional impressions to have them remade. My set fits "ok", but doesn't completely seal in either of my ear canals. This left me with no low end bass on the IEM's, unless I pressed on them with my forefingers. I too fly a lot for work and was looking forward to the noise isolation I was expecting, but it just wasn't really there, again unless I pressed on them with my fingers. While my right ear was relatively comfortable to wear for a few hours at a time, my left ear had some discomfort in a few areas after about an hour or two of wearing.

I filled out the refit form on the website and UE sent me some comply strips. I put them on before my last trip, down near the end of the IEM. The low end was definitely improved as well as the noise isolation. The comply strips are a bit rough feeling in your ear canal, but they are not intended as a permanent solution.

My wife, on the other hand, did not have a good fit in either ear. She has really small ear canals as well as the bowl and upper area, and she could not get them to fit at all. She could only wear them for 15-20 minutes before she had considerable discomfort and her ears got hot and red.

We filled out the refit form for her as well, and sent in new pictures.

I asked about getting impressions done for her 1st, and me as a backup -- and Lorden from customer service got us both approved for new builds from custom impressions. I will say that, yes we spent about $1,600 for 2 sets with 2 leather cases and want them to be as close to perfect as possible, but overall the customer service we've received has been GREAT. Lorden has worked with me, through all my back and forth emails and photos and has provided spectacular customer service. For UE, they're getting back 2 brand new sets of IEM's that - who knows what they do with them, but through the whole process, that has gone beyond the return timeframe, they've been spectacular to work with.

In conversation with Lorden, she made it known that they will work with customers out of the return window - provided that you work with UE and provide regular updates to the fit and performance when you get them.

I'm sending our impressions in today and hope to get them back in a couple of weeks. While I have a lot of travel the next few weeks, the Mrs and I are flying to Phoenix AZ for the NASCAR race in November. I'd love to have them back by then so we can use them on the flight and at the track.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #58 of 81
Thanks for the replies. I am looking forward to my own experience. Glad to here they are so accommodating on the fit. I know that I have this history of fit issues with universals (why I have probably dropped almost a thousand bucks over the years TRYING to get them to fit right) which is why I am going the custom route finally. Hopefully the Fitkit works for me, but good to know that refit based on a professional impression is a possibility if that does not work.

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #59 of 81
We learned from the audioligist that one reason my wife's fit was likely so poor is due to her small ears. We used the small kit for her, but as she put the mold in, she had to lift the top of her ear up to insert it. This caused her ear to be mis-shaped when the fitkit mold was done. Makes sense now.

As you can see from the photos, my wife's inner ear canal is really narrow on the professional impression.

20191003_132651.jpg

20191003_132632.jpg

Oct 3, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #60 of 81
My experience is similar to yours. One perfect and the other 85%. I have learned that when the 85% gets loose just twist it again and the fit will work again. Try that and I hope it works for you. I love them.
I have used them for 10 hours and I have no issue with discomfort, I love them. As I said before I hope they make a longer cable and also bluetooth 5. I will be the first on line to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back