Just got my Pair of RE0's.....not blown away to be honest.....
Nov 18, 2010 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mmamanx

New Head-Fier
So first off I am NOT an audiophile, I just found this about a month ago and after a lot of research I decided my best bet was the RE0's, for a long time Ive been using the Zune V2 Headphones and they have always done the job, so yesterday I got the RE0's and was very anxious to use them, I plugged them into my Iphone 3GS and started playing some music (some 320kbs mp3, some 120 etc) and I noticed that they were very good, nice bass, clear sound just overall very good, thats the problem though, I paid $80 for these and I was expecting these to literally blow me away, I compared to my Zunes and these definitely have better bass, not as much bass but more clear bass, also these are just overall more clear then the Zunes, when I tried the Zunes again, they sounded kinda muffled compared to the RE0's, one thing I did notice is that the Zunes were louder then the 0's on max volume. Overall I think the 0's are great headphones very good quality but $80 worthy? I dunno....it just doesn't seem like a HUGE difference to me, they ARE better but I feel like I could have just been happy with the Zunes and saved $80. Again I dont know all these terms that you guys use and get confused when I see some of the reviews on here, but yea just my opinion, not sure what to do tbh.

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 6
Well let it burn in mentally for a little while and then maybe you will change your tune. These are my next pair in line. I have the Pana's, I just ordered the Silver Bullets and having the RE0's will give me a good variety of sounds. Also I will have the 3 best bang for buck phones out there 
dt880smile.png

On an aside, maybe it was your expectations? The RE-0's are known for being very neutral, so if you were expecting them to really color your music  you may not have gone for the right set of IEM's. I'd say give it some time

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 6
My RE0's just came in a couple hours ago, the very first thing I noticed is these things seriously need an amp.  I had bought a Fiio E3 with it, and without it, it just literally doesn't go loud enough on my computer (don't have my ipod touch around to test it out) to be listen-able.

You're right about the lack of bass, but just about every review out there shows that these are lacking bass.  I purposely bought the E3 because it has a +3db bass boost.

Other than those two things, the fact that the zune buds seemed 'muddy' (edit: you said muffled, not muddy) to you when you switched back to them tells me the RE0's are working as intended :p

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 6

Its true that the re0 doesnt do bass as much as the others. When I first used it the bass sounded like it wasn't there but after a while of use i realise that the bass is there just not quite as loud. Quality wise it was still there but lacking quantity wise. It did change my view on my more vocal based music such as John Mayers album. 
Quote:

My RE0's just came in a couple hours ago, the very first thing I noticed is these things seriously need an amp.  I had bought a Fiio E3 with it, and without it, it just literally doesn't go loud enough on my computer (don't have my ipod touch around to test it out) to be listen-able.

It works fine on my macbook and ipod touch 1st gen un-amped honestly. I do listen my music a little softer than most so that might be the case but usually if i use my other iems i only have my ipod just above 1/4 and if i use the re0 its slightly above half. Might follow your idea and get an amp just to get a little more bass out of it.

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 6
You seriously have to burn these in...seriously...they sound tiny at first, shrill and bass-less, but after burn in the bass settles the highs are crisp and anything else just sounds muddy. To me, after burn in, they make my sr60's sound muddy and bassy...(i used the re0's with sony hybrid tips just to note they're way more comfortable). They are also very power hungry so feed them well (i use an old sony receiver)
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back