Just got my m-50s ...
May 22, 2010 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

gallien

New Head-Fier
Coupled them with the fiio e5 and Love the hell out of the setup, my first true headphone purchase, I'm looking for a bit more sound isolation though. 

Is there anyway to get some pads like these for my m50's? 
L3000.gif
dt880smile.png

May 24, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 20
I find the M50's pads to be more comfy than the XB500 or XB700. I know first hand how hot and sticky those Sony pads get. They FEEL comfy for the first 30 minutes, then it's hell on earth.

Just stretch out the headband a little, and the M50s become uber comfy.

May 24, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 20
congratz on your new M50
beerchug.gif
 they are wonderfull.  I also joined the M50 club not so long ago and they getting the most playing time from all my headphones.
they imporve significantly from a better source and amp,and very loyal to the source meterial.

I hope you play only hi-rez files with them (lossless or cds).  also,just wait until you get a better amp/dac...you still havn't seen the best of them!

I wouldn't replace the pads myself because it can effect their sound in some way.

May 24, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 20
Yeah, the pads will change the sound. Congrats on your new toy!

May 24, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 20
I just got the M-50's too. I definitely agree that these cans ruthlessly expose every weakness of a bad .mp3 or recording. At first I thought that the high freq's were masked and just sounded... terrible. Then I realized it was the .mp3 I was playing and I hadn't heard the bad treble with my cheaper headphones. I am coming to understand how good headphones create an obsession for better components down the line; they expose all the weaknesses!

I'm surprised you need more isolation, I've never heard a full-size headphone with better isolation. 

*edit* Although they sound excellent, they really tired my ears and make them sore. Something about the extreme bass and the fact they are so tightly sealed makes them pound my ears, even at very low volumes. Oh well.

May 24, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 20
TBN, it might not be the mp3. A lot of newer music is so badly compressed that no headphone can make it sound good. A lot of people who are "audiophiles" or at least have very nice equipment, listen to jazz and classical. These genres generally use very little compression during mastering, thus producing excellent sounding albums.

May 24, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #7 of 20

Quote:
TBN, it might not be the mp3. A lot of newer music is so badly compressed that no headphone can make it sound good. A lot of people who are "audiophiles" or at least have very nice equipment, listen to jazz and classical. These genres generally use very little compression during mastering, thus producing excellent sounding albums.

The Allman Brothers - Melissa

HAHA I had treble reducer on the EQ of my iPod. Oops!

May 24, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
I just got the M-50's too. I definitely agree that these cans ruthlessly expose every weakness of a bad .mp3 or recording. At first I thought that the high freq's were masked and just sounded... terrible. Then I realized it was the .mp3 I was playing and I hadn't heard the bad treble with my cheaper headphones. I am coming to understand how good headphones create an obsession for better components down the line; they expose all the weaknesses!

I'm surprised you need more isolation, I've never heard a full-size headphone with better isolation. 

*edit* Although they sound excellent, they really tired my ears and make them sore. Something about the extreme bass and the fact they are so tightly sealed makes them pound my ears, even at very low volumes. Oh well.

about the closed in sound and punch...don't worry,you will get used to it
smile.gif

May 24, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #11 of 20
I have sensitive ears so yeah, I guess its the sound pressure from being so well sealed. They sound great now, I can't believe I left the EQ on. The lesser quality .MP3's still sound pretty bad in the treble, though. That's to be expected of course.

May 24, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #12 of 20
Arg, I thought I had settled on the Q40's, but you people are bringing me back to the M50's..

Does it get any easier after the first headphone purchase? :p

May 26, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #14 of 20
Im waiting for mine to be delivered, they are currently over international waters.

Although i am a bit concerned, i've never had a decent pair of headphones only $30 earbuds, can anyone appreciate a good pair or is it an acquired tast

Users who are viewing this thread

Back