Just got my HD650, need recommandation regarding amp
Apr 23, 2008 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

jujulio

100+ Head-Fier
Hi maybe some read my previous post about a k 701....which i never got lol, so this time i ordered from headroom a hd650 for 350 $, and boy that was fast, got it in 3 days

first of all, since i need to break in the HD650, what should i use? i read a topic advising for songs with more bass to 'build' the diaphragm, and then i heard from pink and purple noise.....what is this???? i am not sure either about the volume needed? a bit higher than what i shall listen?

then regarding the amp: i decided to go for a home amp, but i d like a DAC/amp combo (edit: can be separate!!!) i could invest like 500 $....is it enough? i would use an optical output from my sister's laptop in france, but then i d like to buy myself a new laptop for myself with S/PIDF...do you have any suggestions?

and then if anyone knows of a place in paris where i could test my HP with various equipments i d be very grateful

waiting for your replies :)

Apr 23, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 26
For burn in, just listen to them
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't really think about good dac/amp combo in your price range.

Apr 23, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jujulio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi maybe some read my previous post about a k 701....which i never got lol, so this time i ordered from headroom a hd650 for 350 $, and boy that was fast, got it in 3 days

first of all, since i need to break in the HD650, what should i use? i read a topic advising for songs with more bass to 'build' the diaphragm, and then i heard from pink and purple noise.....what is this???? i am not sure either about the volume needed? a bit higher than what i shall listen?

then regarding the amp: i decided to go for a home amp, but i d like a DAC/amp combo i could invest like 500 $....is it enough? i would use an optical output from my sister's laptop in france, but then i d like to buy myself a new laptop for myself with S/PIDF...do you have any suggestions?

and then if anyone knows of a place in paris where i could test my HP with various equipments i d be very grateful

waiting for your replies :)

Something like a Meier Corda Cantante maybe just what you're looking for; but personally I prefer tubes with HD650's. Unfortunately, I haven't really heard of a mainstream tube amp with built in DAC - but considering your intended "home" usage, I'd consider investing in separate amps and DAC's, as you may indeed get better sound quality for your money in the end.

Apr 23, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 26
yes indeed it's not like i would invest in a portable amp like a pico...so yeah sry for not being clear: the DAC and amp dont need to be'fusioned' lol, as for S/PIDF i don't get it, what other output type (i only know of optical) are there?? thank you for your response, god i am listening right now just with my creative zen with 320 kbps MP3 Trance songs like villa rouge mix...waaahhou...right now i look like that: :0 i can't imagine with an amp and Dac....like describing a color to blind people i guess
as for my personal tastes: electro Trance rock, and classical with organs, violin and piano...i rather like bass based music

ho just thought of something trivial...i ll soon go back to france, is there any danger with X ray or metal detector with a hp??? i don't wanna harm my sweet baby
wooow just tried a gregorian chant.....the male voice is so rich...well don't know how to describe it actually

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 26
My suggestion to you would be to buy a darkvoice amp, some better tubes & the best dac you can buy with the money left over. I'm not that up on dacs sorry so can't help you there.

Have a little read up of the darkvoices. They have great synergy with the 650s & are fantastic bang for buck.

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 26
good thanks for the tip, will do, are the tubes resistant enough? broadly speaking tubes will bring a more natural sound and SS a more detailed one? what can of tube should i get, lol i am confused with penta hexa ....

regarding tubes what about the little dot and beta 22? i have no idea of the price however.

Regarding SS amp i read a good review of the zero, manufactured in china (with DAC if i am correct). What do you think, it s quite cheap like around 150 $ if i am correct

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 26
All DV amps have a great synergy with the HD650s, right from the entry level FIGARO up to the flagship 337. I'm listening to the FIGARO (with TELEFUNKEN ECL85s tubes) and it sounds great, really powerful, driving dynamics, open with crisp top-end.
tongue.gif
A characteristic DV sound really.

You might want to try one of the vast array of Chinese DACs: from DIYEDEN (MUSILAND), HUANYUN, YULONG, ZHALOU and XINDAK to name but a few. The MHDT LABS DACs from Tawain are also very well thought off.

Apr 23, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #12 of 26
Little Dot MKIII ($199USD) or Little Dot MKIV ($299USD) tube amp would be my recommendation - Viewing a thread - Little Dot Amplifiers Purchasing Information.

There are lots of DACs out there; you need to decide what output from your laptop you will use to feed the DAC. A USB DAC is one option. There are DACs that accept only optical or coax digital inputs. Any of the DACs mentioned in this thread would work fine. Another one receiving some attention lately are by Keces. If you go with an Apple laptop, I understand the Apogee Duet is very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back