Just got my HD650, need recommandation regarding amp
Apr 23, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #16 of 26
what would you recommend between darkvoice 336 and little mk v? will look for ppav2
i read a reaaly good review of the zero DAC here

are ppav2 and Alien dac DIY???
what about M3?

Apr 23, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #17 of 26
the dv is a tube amp and the mk v is a ss amp. it really depends on your preferences. if you like any coloration to your sound from the tubes or just the source amplified. the mk v is a very transparent amp so it doesnt do much in the way of coloration. tightens up the bass a LOT.

my suggestion would go with the mk v. ive tried some tubeys but i kept going back to my mk v. penchum did reviews for all the little dot amps and the zero dac. take a quick read and make your decision after you do some research. gl

Apr 23, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #18 of 26
Thank you, nad in fact i am too afraid to arm the tubes...or my cat or my sister lol.
I d just like to go back to these matters

1)....ok don't laugh but could the x-ray or the metal detector at the airport sustain damage to my hp?

2) regarding input sources for DAC is USB as good as coaxial or optical??

I saw penchum review of the MKV, im rather thrilled about this one, but he said that it's cruel with mp3 format and i have not many FLAC or OGG, but if i have a DAC connected, shouldn'it "fill" the hole of compression a bit??

And i saw oicdn's KECES review, sounds good too....very good, although it states that Treble is lacking...isn't it HD650 "weakness" if there is any? but i am no too much into trebles lol if one can say that
tongue.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jujulio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1)....ok don't laugh but could the x-ray or the metal detector at the airport sustain damage to my hp?

No

Quote:

regarding input sources for DAC is USB as good as coaxial or optical??

I have not noticed a difference on my mid-grade equipment

Quote:

I saw penchum review of the MKV, im rather thrilled about this one, but he said that it's cruel with mp3 format and i have not many FLAC or OGG, but if i have a DAC connected, shouldn'it "fill" the hole of compression a bit??

Rule #1 - Crappy source=crappy output
Rule #2 - You can't change Rule #1

Apr 24, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #21 of 26
the 650 is really really really annoying with lower quality music. you WILL hate it. anything lower than 320kbps and i could hear faults with the sq. the mk v will only enhance those faults and make them extremely obvious to you. so you might want to think before you make any purchases again.

the 650 isnt exactly a portable headphone, not that i would take it around the airport with me anyways. the tsa in america is very rough with handling stuff during the security check in places. i wouldnt want a 650 going through that much mishandling. having said that, i dont think the xray machines can do anything besides make them jealous of your awesome hp
tongue.gif

the dac should help a tad but i personally dont think it will be able to make miracles happen. if you have a lossy file, it will come across as a lossy file especially with a 650 and a mk v. if it is lossless it will sound amazing. but dont let that put you off. i have a lot of really old music from when i was a kid that i cant get on cd's (only cassettes were around back then) and at first it is excruciating to listen to them on that setup but after a while i started to enjoy it and tried to tune out the faults in the recording/encoding/transcoding.

ps. make sure you use eac for ripping your music
biggrin.gif
it takes time but it is worth it.

Apr 24, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #23 of 26
I can highly recommend the Talisman headphones amps. I've got the T-35HP and love it.
Might be a little out of your price range, but they are worth it. The benefit for you is that they are a French brand so you may be able to find them in store at a cheaper price.
wink.gif

Anyway, take a look... Talisman Audio

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

so....buying a tube amp compared to SS would make those defaults less audible right?

not exactly bud. i apologise if my previous post mislead you. coloring of the sound and transparency are different things. a good transparent amp will show the faults in the recording. a solid state amp rarely colors the sound in the sense, it doesnt add brightness, or make the sound dark or make the sound warmer like a tube amp does. even that is an incorrect statement. the amp doesnt do anything, the the tubes are what color the sound. the ss amp doesnt have any tubes, hence no coloring of the sound. but still, different ss amps have different signatures. ss amps are *usually* good for a tighter bass response in comparison. but with tube amps you have the freedom of picking and choosing whatever tubes you like depending on your choice of music. neither one is better than the other, it just depends on how you like to listen to music.
biggrin.gif

personally i dont like my music colored which is why i picked the ss mk v. that is not to say that the mk v is better than all tube amps. it is better TO ME. TO YOU, some tubes might sound better than any solid state amp.

hopefully that makes a little sense. if any amp gurus can correct me if im mistaken in any of my statements, please do. i am still learning about amps.

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #26 of 26
Thank you for your detailed reply, it's true i am still confused with much audiophile vocabulary
tongue.gif
I will try it when i am paris, i am bound to found at least one shop there ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back