Just Got My G5 Ipod!
Oct 19, 2005 at 10:57 AM Post #49 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
Comparison with the shuffllllllllllllllllllllllllllle. How's it sounddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd?!!

That's what I want too. I was thinking that it's a smart move by apple to raise the issue of the shuffle sq gold standard-maybe hoping no-one will compare it to iaudio, iriver etc.. and if the videopod wins you buy that-if it loses you buy a shuffle.

Oct 19, 2005 at 11:02 AM Post #50 of 119
Oh, and also try it with preset standard fast standard or extreme VBR files to check for skipping
icon10.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 11:42 AM Post #51 of 119
lol alright guys, I don't want to make any snap judgements but from what I've listened to so far, the SQ is on par with the shuffle and *maybe* a little better. It's a bit hard to exactly match volumes, but I did my best and I cannot guarantee any difference btw the Shuffle and the 5G are not due to volume differences. That being said...

The bass difference btw the 5G and the Photo is not night and day (well, perhaps a head-fi night and day!) but it is noticable. I always felt the photo had a fuzz around the sound, and the Shuffle sounds "etched" out. The 5G is a lot like the Shuffle in this regard.

The overall bass in comparison with the Shuffle might be very, very slightly less. I've only been able to tell the difference on a couple songs (for example: Loreena Mckennitt - The Bonny Swans opening bass sequence).

Although I love the SQ of the Shuffle (especially in comparison with my old Photo) it does sound a tiny bit "closed in" in comparison. The 5G seems to keep the wide open sound, while also capturing the Shuffle's "etched," sound and bass.

All this has been through the headphone out. I'll do some listening with the lineout today.

Oct 19, 2005 at 11:44 AM Post #52 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
Oh, and also try it with preset standard fast standard or extreme VBR files to check for skipping
icon10.gif

All my songs are either Lame cbr 320, APS, or APExtreme. I've noticed no skipping at all. I've noticed the Shuffle has some problem with this on a few rare instances though.

Oct 19, 2005 at 12:00 PM Post #53 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
All this has been through the headphone out. I'll do some listening with the lineout today.

The lineout is on the dock, whilst the headphone out is obviously on the player, right?

Oct 19, 2005 at 12:31 PM Post #54 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchjordan
The lineout is on the dock, whilst the headphone out is obviously on the player, right?

... or with a Sik or SendStation adapter on the player.

Oct 19, 2005 at 4:04 PM Post #56 of 119
After using my white 3OGB video for a day with the same source files (224 AAC) as on my nano and shuffle, the shuffle is still the top for sound quality.

The new ipod is a definite improvement over the old photo (more bass primarily) and the eq is a bit better (less distortion). But i would say the sound is equal to the nano except possibly at very high volumes where the ipod may have a slight edge in headroom.

This is all unamped with Ety ER4p, shure e4c and superfi 5 pro.

I don't see the point in using an amp in what should be a highly portable configuration.

I'm actually quite disappointed as I was hoping for much better sound. As it is, I may take my video back....

Oct 19, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #57 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man
After using my white 3OGB video for a day with the same source files (224 AAC) as on my nano and shuffle, the shuffle is still the top for sound quality.

The new ipod is a definite improvement over the old photo (more bass primarily) and the eq is a bit better (less distortion). But i would say the sound is equal to the nano except possibly at very high volumes where the ipod may have a slight edge in headroom.

I don't see the point in using an amp in what should be a highly portable configuration.

I'm actually quite disappointed as I was hoping for much better sound. As it is, I may take my video back....

I know this is bad news to most, but it is actually good news to me.
biggrin.gif
Now I don't have to spend more money to buy one.

Oct 19, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #58 of 119
Quote:

Hey, do you also notice static hiss through the headphone out wth the E4C when on pause? Try pausing it, and then unplugging the headphones and listening for a "blackness" transition.

Oct 19, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #59 of 119
Quote:

Blah. Maybe I should just forget it then.

Oct 19, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #60 of 119
Just had a look at the specs.. uses the same portalplayer chip as the nano, and a different wolfson chip.. but i suspect it sounds the same as the nano..

now im not in such a hurry to get one.. and i think my nano is actually getting 'burned-in' because i swear it's sounding a little better.. not much, but a little.. still have to keep it on the 'flat' eq though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back