Just Got My G5 Ipod!
Oct 19, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #16 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by rassler
HAHA....... the pressure is on now Cookiefactory!!

LOL, yeah.... I hope you had nothing better to do tonight than sit on your computer and indulge all our questions!
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #17 of 119
If I may ask, I've always been confused about if the 5gen ipod has voice recording. Can you confirm is it does have voice recording? is the mic in the headphone jack?

Thanks, pics would be awesome

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #19 of 119
PICS!!!!!

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #22 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by atart
any word or idea on whether these things scratch as bad as the nano?

cheers

Yeah run some steel wool across it and let us know please.

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #23 of 119
Gotta love the "don't steal music" sticker.

Yes Mr. Record Exec, I have to go feed the starving RIAA marketing companies
blink.gif
All those poor executives driving Pintos and living on rice and water because college students keep stealing music!

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #24 of 119
I had originally ordered a black 30G from the online Apple store, but was becoming irritated that it was stuck in "processing order."

So today while sitting in the computer lab between classes browsing the internet, I came across some people who claimed the Ipods were available at brick and mortar Apple stores. I called my local Apple Store (in Columbus, OH) and sure enough they had the 30GB versions in stock. I immediately canceled my online order and made the trek to down the Apple store.

I walked in there set on buying a black Ipod but after seeing both versions side by side, I couldn't help but feel the white version was cosmetically superior. Previously I had envisioned the black ipod to be this jet black color that seemed to almost absorb the light around it and shimmer with a sexy gleam. Silly yes, but it sure looks that way in Apple's advertisements. Alas in reality it was just plain ol' black, and a bit lackluster at that.

So I did a quick, precursory test with my e4cs searching for any glaring flaws (like my late 30GB Photo). When I found none (note: it was a very quick test, my parking meter only had 3 minutes!) I bought it and headed on home.

The packaging is pretty minimal, it's like a box a PC game comes in. Inside is just the Ipod, earbuds, USB cord, dock adapter (piece of plastic so you can fit the thinner 5G into older docks), a cheap case, and the installation software. A note on the case: it really is cheap. I'm almost hesitant to put the Ipod inside it as I have a nagging suspicion the inside liner will scratch the Ipod to hell and back. I'd like to imagine Apple buit it with some thought, but somehow I think Steve Jobs threw it in just to appease all the people yelling (and rightly so) about how scratchable the Nano is.

SQ impressions to come.

p.s. apparently the Ipod does support recording, but no mic is included. It will probably be an accessory at added expense.

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #26 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
p.s. apparently the Ipod does support recording, but no mic is included. It will probably be an accessory at added expense.

Is the recording software in the iPods OS (or require an external trigger device). If it only requires a mic, maybe you can use your headphones as a low quality mic in reverse to test.

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #27 of 119
Somehow I really hope they haven't improved the SQ, gives me a reason not to buy the 5G.
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #29 of 119
Ipodlounge reports that there is no static hiss, but I can confirm that there is some hiss from the headphone out with the E4Cs. Less than the Photo (from what I remember) and the Shuffle though. With the Shuffle I could hear the noise floor during quiet parts of some songs, but the static in the 5G is only noticeable on a relative level i.e. headphones not plugged in == "totally black" then by plugging in the headphones you notice a change in the noise floor, but on it's own it's not noticeable. Hope that makes sense.

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #30 of 119
How is the bass? is it like a day and night difference when compared to ipod photo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back