Just got my first Amp/DAC, please help me out.
May 19, 2011 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Alghazanth

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, I just got my E9/E7 combo. It's my first amp and DAC, and I have some questions:

1) How come when I mount the E7 on the E9 all of its functions no longer work? The bass boosts, volume, etc changes nothing when connected to the E9.

2) Does the E7 DAC interfere with Dolby Headphone/CMSS-3D/Crossfeed?

3) What is the difference between the 2 gains?

4)Why does the sound seem much more dynamic when I connect the same headphone via 6.3mm instead of 3.5mm? This applies to all  of the 8 headphones I have tried, whether 3.5mm or 6.3mm naturally, it always sounds better in the 6.3mm jack.

5) Will I get the same sound quality when listening with just the USB cable from PC to E9/E7 versus with all of it connected to the sound card?

Thank you very much.

May 20, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 8
1. Bass boost doesn't work, control the volume using the E9.
2. I have no idea, sorry.
3. High gain = higher volume, use it with higher impedance headphones.
4. 6.3mm is indeed supposed to sound better.
5. You should connect it through usb afaik.

May 21, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Why doesn't the E7 work?

The E7 does work. When it's docked on the E9, the E9 takes over the headphone amp function (as it is a FAR stronger amp than the E7), and the E7 functions only as the DAC. Even if the E7 is turned off, if it's docked on the E9, it's working. As stated above, you now use the E9 for volume control. And sorry, bass boost no longer works when docked. I know, such a shame.

May 22, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #7 of 8
I'm not sure I see the point of the E7 now. What's the difference in audio quality between hooking up my headphones to the amp connected to soundcard versus my present setup of amp/dac>usb?

May 22, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
I'm not sure I see the point of the E7 now. What's the difference in audio quality between hooking up my headphones to the amp connected to soundcard versus my present setup of amp/dac>usb?

With the E7, you'll be using its DAC instead of the one in your computer. You'll also be bypassing the built-in analog jack and using the (presumably better) one on the E9 (in the case of E7+E9), which can take care of some of the "constant hiss" issues that you'll run into lots of times with onboard connections. If you have a good discrete sound card, something like the E7 may be less useful (since discrete cards may have better DACs and connectors as they're geared for people who want more than onboard).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back