Just got my ER-4P's.. My early impressions
Jan 19, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #31 of 59
Ferraro, you must not be getting a decent seal if you think they sound tinny. With that said, the ER-4P's are definitely thinner sounding then a lot of other headphones due to their focus on detail. They certainly shouldn't sound tinny though.

About the microphonics, I have to take back my comment. It's true, the microphonics suck. The cord noise is pretty ridiculous so I have to stick with my Vibes while walking around. However, when the cord isn't touching anything the microphonics aren't bad, and I can't hear my footsteps which I could with ER-6i's. It seems like canalphones or regular headphones are the only way to avoid the issue entirely.

One other comment: I dislike the black foamies. They are easier to insert than the yellow soft foamies that came with the ER-6i's, but they're really scratchy when first inserted. They are made of this rough, porous foam as opposed to the soft, smooth yellow kind. Once in, they feel fine. For such expensive 'phones, though, they should provide better foam earpieces. I called into Etymotic and they are sending me a pair of trial foamies so I'll see how those work out.

Jan 19, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #32 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ferraro, you must not be getting a decent seal if you think they sound tinny. With that said, the ER-4P's are definitely thinner sounding then a lot of other headphones due to their focus on detail. They certainly shouldn't sound tinny though.

Actually, "thin" would be a very good description of what I hear. I don't like it, it sounds "cheap" to me. Drums sound ridiculously light. Lack of body all around.

I bet I have the proper fit, too - I have them pretty far in my ears, such that the plastic parts that hang down are millimeters from my ears and would push my earlobes towards my head if they were angled downward a little more. The current fit is uncomfortable, and sharply painful (at least in my right ear) if I attempt to close my jaw.

Jan 19, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #33 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, "thin" would be a very good description of what I hear. I don't like it, it sounds "cheap" to me. Drums sound ridiculously light. Lack of body all around.

I bet I have the proper fit, too - I have them pretty far in my ears, such that the plastic parts that hang down are millimeters from my ears and would push my earlobes towards my head if they were angled downward a little more. The current fit is uncomfortable, and sharply painful (at least in my right ear) if I attempt to close my jaw.

Unfortunately ER-4 is not an IEM that puts immediate "WOW!" effect for someone not familiar with them. And not everyone will find ER-4 fitting to their listening taste.

But I do believe your ear canals are not accepting the Triflanges and thus a serious flaw in sonic delivery. It did to me too initially, Triflanges never worked for me because my ear canals could not accomodate them no matter how I adjust. I despaired not and tried a few options. In the end I found sonic bliss with Ety's black foamies. With training and proper insertion I was able to attain 100% seal - and my audio nirvana begins. It's so full sounding and resolving that I have decided to let go of ALL other cans that I have (Alessandro MS-1, Sony MDR-E888LP etc) because I get everything from my ER-4P (converted to S). Bass is rich in depth and very well extended. Highs are truly wonderful and and the Treble sparkle is well tamed much akin to MS-1 traits. Most importantly, I find very good soundstaging/headstaging which is way better than my MS-1 and E888LP.

All this is achievable because I found my seal. And of course a good source is paramount. My minimum is a LAME MP3 VBR Encoded at the highest presets. Anything below 192kbps and it will hurt the ears.

If you still cant find your sweet spot with ER-4, then most likely you're a Shure or Westone person
etysmile.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #35 of 59
I can't get a decent fit with the triflanges either. Plus I hate the feeling of jamming those things into my ears. The foamies are 10257908x better.

Jan 19, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #36 of 59
I would hope that I can find a better fit if that is the problem. The ER-4P is just too light for me if I am getting a good seal.

My right ear will not accept a black foamy, period, so that is out of the question.

The sound is OK with the tri-flanges, so I'll just stick with them for the time being, at least.

Jan 19, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #37 of 59
I've found a better fit with the tri-flanges out quite a bit more. Sounds very good. Nicely balanced, with maybe still a little bit too much upper-midrange/lower-treble.

More than acceptable sound quality, now. Pretty comparable to the K701 but without the sibilance (K701 has noticeably exaggerated sibilance). However, not as "real-sounding" as the K701: I feel more like I'm listening to a recording than with the K701.

Jan 19, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #38 of 59
im using the er4s right now and overall am very impressed. i am coming from the um2 which i feel is one of the most forgiving earphones. anything and everything sounded good with it. the er4s has serious hate with much of my jazz collection and any vocals that are not fast and pitched. harsh and unmusical, however, for anything without vocals, i find them pleasure beyond pleasure. i listen to trance and electronic so vocal play very little role and these phones are great for that. they are fast and remind me in the middle and the low end much of my dt880 which i love. there is no mud in these, but then... there no forgiveness either and i am not talking about poorly recorded albums, just regular female vocals and other forward sounding vocals. too bad as every once in a while i want to listen to something like female vocal jazz... otherwise, damn, these are beautiful!

enjoy the er4p
icon10.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #39 of 59
Now using black foamies, and the sound is great (I figured out how to put one in my right ear, finally). Still a little light, but not nearly as much as with my first attempts at a seal. I now like the ER-4P second to the K701. That is GREAT for a portable earphone, I think. It is definitely much more detailed/resolving than the K701 - I'm hearing new details all over the place. I would be willing to bet that overall tonal accuracy is quite a bit higher than the K701, too. The only reason the K701 is still my favorite is due to my being more used to it, I think...

Heh, my opinion, in several hours, went from "almost as bad as my old random Sonys" to "almost as good as my favorite headphone." My opinion will probably improve even more in the future as I get used to the sound and become better at sealing. Well worth the current asking price on Amazon.

Jan 19, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #40 of 59
Quote:

Now using black foamies, and the sound is great (I figured out how to put one in my right ear, finally). Still a little light, but not nearly as much as with my first attempts at a seal. I now like the ER-4P second to the K701. That is GREAT for a portable earphone, I think. It is definitely much more detailed/resolving than the K701 - I'm hearing new details all over the place. I would be willing to bet that overall tonal accuracy is quite a bit higher than the K701, too. The only reason the K701 is still my favorite is due to my being more used to it, I think...

Heh, my opinion, in several hours, went from "almost as bad as my old random Sonys" to "almost as good as my favorite headphone." My opinion will probably improve even more in the future as I get used to the sound and become better at sealing. Well worth the current asking price on Amazon.

Glad to hear that. Wait until you convert your ER-4P to S Adapter and I can guarantee you will not look back. The difference is like dusk and night. But Er-4S does demand juicy source for it to drive properly. With further use ER-4 will grow into the listener and the only way forward from there is custom molded IEM
etysmile.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #41 of 59
A few things need mentioning.

1) Go to the Headroom site and you'll see that the 4p was almost totally designed for portable useage--low impedance, etc. Therefroe, might be a better choice if you're using them with a portable.

2) with my Supermacro IV I can "switch" from the 4p to 4s configuration and yes there is a difference in sound. DOn't know which I like better, or if sound is just "different"--that is, some music is better in the "p" position and other music is better in the "s" position

3) Also drive the 880s with my SUpermacro. Love the sound out of those too. Again, differrent sound signature than with the etys,but wonderful nonetheless

4) FInally--have had my etys for years--literally--and have tons of hours on them. You might have to have them break in a little. DOn't know, 'cause I don't know what they sounded like originally--like I forget.

Buyt bottom line: love both my ety4p and the Beyer 880--but again, this is thru the SM IV. Your amp may differ

Jan 19, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #42 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im using the er4s right now and overall am very impressed. i am coming from the um2 which i feel is one of the most forgiving earphones. anything and everything sounded good with it. the er4s has serious hate with much of my jazz collection and any vocals that are not fast and pitched. harsh and unmusical, however, for anything without vocals, i find them pleasure beyond pleasure. i listen to trance and electronic so vocal play very little role and these phones are great for that. they are fast and remind me in the middle and the low end much of my dt880 which i love. there is no mud in these, but then... there no forgiveness either and i am not talking about poorly recorded albums, just regular female vocals and other forward sounding vocals. too bad as every once in a while i want to listen to something like female vocal jazz... otherwise, damn, these are beautiful!

enjoy the er4p
icon10.gif

Im glad you are enjoying them. I used to love those things with Jazz the detail drove me nuts. Being able to hear small ticks and tacks in acomples drum beats was something I love. I dont know, I dont listen to much vocals in my jazz but I did feel a little problem with Coltrane, slightly piercing.

Jan 19, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #43 of 59
Quote:

I think he would like something like the bose "IEM".

Jan 20, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #45 of 59
The ER-4P sounds better straight out of my Audigy 2 ZS as oposed to DAC-AH to amp. Much more "real-sounding." Much better balance except for less bass. And none of that damn hiss or minor radio station reception (my amp apparently very faintly picks up a radio signal... yup).

I made the switch without taking the phones out of my ears, so a better fit is not the cause.

Besides the less bass, this is superior to the K701. I need to get a quality amp when I get the P to S converter, not this Xenos 0HA-R CRAP, and get a DAC that doesn't distort the hell out of everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back