Just got my ER-4P's.. My early impressions
Jan 12, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #16 of 59
They sound great, though the microphonics are quite bad. I think I can actually hear my heart beating...
etysmile.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #17 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by noblsheep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no i think it was with a converter he made himself with the same impedance. is there anything special about the etymotic's converter that would cause sound differences?

There's nothing special about the ER4P-24 cable. You could easily DIY one if one had the skills.

Jan 12, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #18 of 59
Yeah, I'm probably gonna get lots of "use the search function" responses when I ask this question, but since there's already a forum about ER-4's, I figured, what the hell. So here it is: What are the major differences between the ER4s's, the ER4p's and the ER4b's? I read somewhere that the ER4p's were designed for MP3 players and have a lower impedance as well as a bass boost; but I could be completely wrong.

Jan 12, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #19 of 59
didn't find what i was looking for... did however find a chinese post comparing er4p, er4p w/ converter, and er4s. since the post is ultra long and it's 5 o'clock in the morning, i'll just translate the conditions the testing was done in and the conclusion.

http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=13627&fpage=5

this was done with a chinese cd player that cost around 4000RMB=500USD and without an amp. the converter was etymotic's.

conclusion:
(i just realized i have no idea how to translate some of this stuff, chinese and english speaking audiophiles seem to talking about the same things but the terms don't line up at all
blink.gif
)
in the order of 4p, 4p w/ con, 4s
clarity: 134, 149, 156
analysis(?): 112, 141, 152
regularity(?): 123, 138, 141
dynamics: 103, 116, 138
soundstage: dunno how to quantify, just gets further away
balance: 107, 138, 149
realism: 125, 129, 133
layering: 145, 139, 136
speed: 174, 136, 149 (higher is faster)
coldness: 189, 174, 154 (higher is colder)
smoothness: 108, 144, 154

Jan 12, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #20 of 59
i actually went from the er4p to the er6i because i didn't find the er4p to be that much of an upgrade from the er6i...or i thought the er6i sounded good enough that i didn't really miss the er4p. but i did have the ety p->s converter and i think the er4s are superb. as it requires a portable amp i didn't feel like i should keep it, but i think the er4s is my favorite IEM.

Jan 12, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #22 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been considering the ER4p for an IEM what seems like forever. The only thing that's stopped me from ordering is reports of thin bass and resale value on IEMs isn't as good as other types of headphones if I didn't like them.

What I want in an IEM is basically a "monitor" type headphone (like a MDR-V6ish sound signature) that will sound capable with any type of music. They'd never be my full time headphones, but would be expected to play anything on my Ipod while travelling.

Would ER4p be a good choice for this? The only other IEM I've really considered lately is the V-MODA Vibes.

the v-moda vibes aren't "true" IEMs like the er4p/s. if by "monitor" you mean something accurate and detailed, the er4s are terrific. they will also serve you well while traveling...but they are 120-ohm so the er4p would be easier to drive straight out of the ipod.

you can order the er4s from many places with a 30-day moneyback guarantee so that might be one way to go...

Jan 12, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #23 of 59
I too fell in love with my ER4P. So much better than what I have been listning to. I actually feal bad for myself all these years listening to stock Ibuds. Welcome to Team Etymotic.

Jan 13, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #24 of 59
Decided to order an ER-4P from Amazon. It will be my first IEM.

I'm very much looking forward to the isolation, the detail, and the accuracy. The ability to have all that without any amp sounds really cool, too - I currently don't use my iPod shuffle on my walks (even though my KSC-35 sounds really good out of the shuffle without an amp), but once I get these, I am pretty sure I will (uh, once it stops being around 32 degrees Fahrenheit here). I just hope I don't have some oddly-shaped ear canals...

Jan 13, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #25 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by exX08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too fell in love with my ER4P. So much better than what I have been listning to. I actually feal bad for myself all these years listening to stock Ibuds. Welcome to Team Etymotic.

Zune/ER4p here also.

Jan 16, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #27 of 59
Yes it is. So is the Creative Labs Zen Extra & the ER4P. I have both.

Jan 19, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #28 of 59
After reading more and more posts, the conclusion is there's "no comparison?" between ER4p and ER4s (meaning ER4s beats ER4p like a drum). But ER4s needs an amp I'm reading.

I *really* don't want to bother with an amp in my airplane-travel setup. It's not even about money, I just don't want to deal with an amp in my portable rig. And I won't really use any IEMs I buy often at all with my Headfive at home.

Is ER4p really so vastly inferior to ER4s? If so, it doesn't really seem like a good value (which would add credibility to the poster that went instead with ER6i). Is the supposed difference in SQ between ER4p and ER4s hyperbole or real?

The other supposed "con" to ER4p/s I've read is that it's too "delicate" and "microphonic" for serious travel.

Can anyone confirm or debunk these concerns?

Every time I think I decide on a travel IEM I read something that dissuades me. First I thought ER4p was a sure bet for me, then I read it's vastly inferior to ER4s (but which needs an amp). So then I looked into UM1 instead--and a poster over in that appreciation forum said you can't that one without an amp either. Vibe and JVC 220 don't isolate and I need that. UE5 is supposedly uncomfortable and fiddly which I'd hate.

So I'm back to ER4p, but this is a tough thing to decide on.

Jan 19, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #29 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After reading more and more posts, the conclusion is there's "no comparison?" between ER4p and ER4s (meaning ER4s beats ER4p like a drum). But ER4s needs an amp I'm reading.

I *really* don't want to bother with an amp in my airplane-travel setup. It's not even about money, I just don't want to deal with an amp in my portable rig. And I won't really use any IEMs I buy often at all with my Headfive at home.

Is ER4p really so vastly inferior to ER4s? If so, it doesn't really seem like a good value (which would add credibility to the poster that went instead with ER6i). Is the supposed difference in SQ between ER4p and ER4s hyperbole or real?

The other supposed "con" to ER4p/s I've read is that it's too "delicate" and "microphonic" for serious travel.

Can anyone confirm or debunk these concerns?

Every time I think I decide on a travel IEM I read something that dissuades me. First I thought ER4p was a sure bet for me, then I read it's vastly inferior to ER4s (but which needs an amp). So then I looked into UM1 instead--and a poster over in that appreciation forum said you can't that one without an amp either. Vibe and JVC 220 don't isolate and I need that. UE5 is supposedly uncomfortable and fiddly which I'd hate.

So I'm back to ER4p, but this is a tough thing to decide on.

I don't think it's that big of a difference (although I havn't heard them) they use the same drivers in each.

BTW I think they are great. When used with Westone Comply tips they actually feel good to use.

Jan 19, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #30 of 59
Just received my ER-4P, not at all happy with it. Lacking midrange and bass. Sounds barely above the overall quality of earbuds; tinny. Absolute lack of body.

Obviously, I can't get a good fit yet (and I doubt I ever will). The flanges hurt my ears very much, and I don't find the foamies to offer any better sound quality.

This is almost like moving back to my crappy Sony's before I discovered Head-Fi.

I should have tried those JVC marshmallow things (or whatever those cheap IEMs are called) first to see if I could actually use IEMs.

Edited to add: HOLY SH!T THESE THINGS ARE GOOD FOR BINAURAL RECORDINGS, THOUGH. Has the same low-quality balance (just treble, lack of mids, bass), but damn if the 3D positioning isn't ABSURDLY REAL and the detail isn't OUTSTANDING.

Second edit to add: Using foamy in left ear, flange in right ear. I can't fit a foamy in my right ear, basically. Sounds pretty good. If I have a proper fit, these headphones aren't that great. No sense of "reality" from these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back