Just got my ER-4P's.. My early impressions
Jan 20, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #46 of 59
Wow, I can't believe they went from mediocre to better than your K701 in a matter of days. Reminds me of my experiences with the ER4s. I remember it didn't really do anything for me until I've had them for a few weeks... and then bliss

Jan 20, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #47 of 59
Hi, is it Ety ER-4P way better than CX300?

Jan 20, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #48 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I can't believe they went from mediocre to better than your K701 in a matter of days. Reminds me of my experiences with the ER4s. I remember it didn't really do anything for me until I've had them for a few weeks... and then bliss

Well, yeah. Seems the OP had problems with getting a good fit which doesn't surprise me at all. For me, it's really easy to insert the right one, but the left one always needs some coaxing. It's almost a given that when someone mentions "tinny", it's a matter of getting a good seal.

Jan 20, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #49 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by noblsheep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no i think it was with a converter he made himself with the same impedance. is there anything special about the etymotic's converter that would cause sound differences?

The wire in the cable would be different, and the resistance of Etymotic's cable is actually 73 ohms.

Jan 20, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #50 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tell me where I can get the new blacks ones? Will amazon ship the new ones if I order them?

Yes, that is what they ship. That is what they shipped me.

Jan 23, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #51 of 59
Hi, i'd like to ask you guys if a canalphone's sound like la ER-4P can compare with the sound of a HD595 lets say...Does an IEM like ER-4P has soundstage as a full size can? Please give me some info, its important to me. Thanks!

Jan 24, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #52 of 59
I've only heard good soundstage, or at least decent on k501s. I think ER-4Ps show me good distance with instruments, like I can hear stuff that sounds far from my ears, like cymbals and faint synthesized notes. Then a lot of vocals stay inside my ears. I'm a newb so I don't know if that's soundstage, but I do feel that the sound is a little spacious, especially with my new LDM+ without a lineout, just mini to mini. Hopefully my turbo cable comes in tomorrow.

Jan 25, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #54 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't hear my footsteps when I'm walking around the house and I really need to shake the cables around to hear them.

That's not possible unless either their not sealed or you're tip-toeing. The boom of footsteps has nothing to do with the earphones except that they block your ears.

Jan 25, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #55 of 59
Well, I have to say I just bought my first pair of these things for temporary use while the real stereo is boxed up. I've had them about a week, and so far I'm finding them completely unusable and absolutely obnoxious to have stuffed into my ears. I anticipate returning them to Amazon shortly.

On top of that, I don't understand what all the fuss is about re: the sound. They don't sound all that great to me, but perhaps I'm spoiled. This is no better at all than my full-size speakers with regard to detail, and the lack of a soundstage is just vexing. I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to listen to headphones unless forced to, particularly these rotten things.

Any good tips out there how I might make these things fit/feel better? Basically, it feels like I have 4 huge cotton balls stuffed into one ear, and two in the other. The perceived difference is so aggravating I'mm going nuts.

Jan 25, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #56 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by x99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have to say I just bought my first pair of these things for temporary use while the real stereo is boxed up. I've had them about a week, and so far I'm finding them completely unusable and absolutely obnoxious to have stuffed into my ears. I anticipate returning them to Amazon shortly.

On top of that, I don't understand what all the fuss is about re: the sound. They don't sound all that great to me, but perhaps I'm spoiled. This is no better at all than my full-size speakers with regard to detail, and the lack of a soundstage is just vexing. I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to listen to headphones unless forced to, particularly these rotten things.

Any good tips out there how I might make these things fit/feel better? Basically, it feels like I have 4 huge cotton balls stuffed into one ear, and two in the other. The perceived difference is so aggravating I'mm going nuts.

-people use IEMs for isolation. IE not wanting to bother other people or to block out outside sounds
-no IEMs (or headphones for that matter) will have a soundstage like speakers
-some people just can't get used to the feel of IEMs, maybe they're not for you
-it sounds like you have a killer speaker setup, you should probably stick with it

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #57 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by x99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What is your source for them again?

Which tips are you using?

For me it took almost 2 weeks of using my first pair of IEMs to be comfortable with them and learn how to get a proper fit. I use the black foam tips with mine and I can wear them for over 6 hours easily with no discomfort.

Some people simply never get used to the feel of foam/silicon tips in their ears...or don't like the intimate sound quality that they deliver.

You should try full size open headphones. Pick one that best matches your taste in loudspeakers.

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #58 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which tips are you using?

For me it took almost 2 weeks of using my first pair of IEMs to be comfortable with them and learn how to get a proper fit. I use the black foam tips with mine and I can wear them for over 6 hours easily with no discomfort.

Some people simply never get used to the feel of foam/silicon tips in their ears...or don't like the intimate sound quality that they deliver.

My problem with the Ety's isn't having something "in my ears" per se (nor the sonic issues--that was just unwarranted petty griping), but rather that what is stuffed into my ears feels very different from ear to ear. Ah--and I'm using the foam tips. The triple flanges aren't just disconcerting, but downright painful.

Is it common that one ear "feels" very different than the other? Perhaps my ear canals are just different shapes/sizes and this feeling of imbalance will not improve. FWIW, I'm a freak with attached earlobes, so perhaps my ear canals are all funky too.
blink.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #59 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-some people just can't get used to the feel of IEMs, maybe they're not for you
-it sounds like you have a killer speaker setup, you should probably stick with it

See below re: feeling -- the feeling doesn't bother me. The difference in feeling between ears does.

And the main rig is boxed, and has to stay there due to ongoing remodeling. Hence the search for something of decent fidelity while doing the reno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back