Jan 26, 2010 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

clarinetman

500+ Head-Fier
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

I guess I'll start off by saying that these are insanely comfortable (as Beyers always are) and they feel as though I've got a couple of huge, cushy, German pillows on either side of my head; dare I say I actually enjoy wearing them, which is a first. They're like a luxurious, $1500, pillowtop king size mattress, if you get the idea (of course the velour adds to the effect) The build quality is also superb and much better than the rest of my cans; I could probably throw them against a wall for fun and they could easily withstand it.

Now for the far more important part, the sound. Simply put, I adore the way these sound. Suffice to say they're easily better in most aspects than my other cans. While they're not really even in the same ballpark of sound as my other favorite pair, Grado's 325, they have a far nicer presentation and much better timbre. For instance, when I put on the DT880, the first thing I noticed was "Oh, such nice vocals... Ahhhh...", but when I put on my Grados, it's more like "HELL YEAH! AWESOME VOCALS!!". Essentially, they both have great vocals, but the Beyers are just more "nighttime" cans, whereas the Grados are more "party hard all night" -type cans.

In terms of the spectrum however....

Bass:

The Beyer bass is incredible. Just in the short time I've listened to them, the amount of refinement and texture has already revealed itself to me. Never boomy, never too little either, just right. Nice and deep, very sexy.

Mids:

Like what was mentioned before, the mids are quite relaxing and natural sounding, giving perfect realism. No nasal sounds, just flat, harmonious, and SMOOTH. By comparison, the Grado vocals were sharp and sibilant. While sharp and sibilant is enjoyed, it doesn't really give honest realism either.

Treble:

With the Beyers, everything is basically right with them. As is aforementioned, they hardly even hint at sibilance, just a whole lot of detail with a little sparkle, which I quite enjoy. Grado falls short in this area again, with razor-sharp, fatiguing, roll off.

So now the question remains, should I return the Beyers? I'm also quite interested in trying out the SA5000 because I decided I wanted to hear a lot of speed and detail, which the Beyers seem to be doing phenomenally well at this point, on all levels. Since I don't have the money at the moment to buy both pairs at once, I'd have to return the 880 and exchange them... If I decide on the Beyers, I'm probably going to return the pair I have now and get the '03 version (I have the '05 version now), since FWIR they're the best. What do you think?

Thanks for reading, more impressions to come as burn-in progresses!

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzVinyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After that glowing "Died and went to heaven" review...you would consider returning them?

Huh?

Right, well, it's because I want to make sure I get the right thing is all. It's not that I'm not necessarily unsatisfied, but I'm also just curious to see what the SA5000 is like and also the '03 version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which ohm version did you get?

250Ω.

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarinetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, well, it's because I want to make sure I get the right thing is all. It's not that I'm not necessarily unsatisfied, but I'm also just curious to see what the SA5000 is like and also the '03 version.

OK, so you are relying on *Head-Fi* to help you decide whether to return a pair of cans that makes you very, very happy ? Friend, that makes no sense at all. This is a forum full of folk eternally searching for the 'perfect' pair of cans - you find something close and want MORE ?

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, so you are relying on *Head-Fi* to help you decide whether to return a pair of cans that makes you very, very happy ? Friend, that makes no sense at all. This is a forum full of folk eternally searching for the 'perfect' pair of cans - you find something close and want MORE ?

+1

And I don't even think the SA5000 is a step up, if sideways even. Why not just live with the 880s for a while? They get even better sounding with time.

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was just asking for opinions/comparisons regarding the matter, I wouldn't necessarily take everything I heard that seriously.

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1

And I don't even think the SA5000 is a step up, if sideways even. Why not just live with the 880s for a while? They get even better sounding with time.

Make me +2....I would say the SA5000 is more of a slight downward step even. I really am a big beyer fan...they know cans and great sound ... Sony .... not so much (well except for the fabled R10s).

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #10 of 17
if there's one thing that the dt880's do well , it's most definitely balance done right.

feed them a decent tube amp and a quality source--and they will sing like Frank Sinatra.

female vocals with the dt880's excel so much that you probably won't even want to purchase another can.

I'll agree, the bass in these cans are tight, deep, neutral and relaxing. If you can learn to live with superb clarity, smooth soundstage and let the adequate bass be presented in the way it was meant to be, then these cans are definitely keepers.

I love mine in conjunction with the Little Dot MKIII combo. really brings out that refined, crisp texture. I'm not really a bass-head, but i just don't think the bass emphasis is quite there on the hip-hop/club/trance songs that i listen to. none the less, very enjoyable listening pleasure to whatever i throw at these dt880's. I'm ready to lose some detail/have the mids suffice a tad bit and go for something more fun and less perplexed like the Denon D2000 or DT990/600 in the future.

It all boils down to personal preference tbh. You prolly will think the bass/musical taste is sufficient for your needs, but for others, it's the other way around.

Theoretically, the 600 ohm of the dt880's are suppose to fix whatever(if any) problems that the 250ohm had(from what i have read), i still am in doubt about this matter and only way to find out is if i actually try it out for myself. Which won't be anytime soon
tongue_smile.gif

give those cans a good 100-150 hour burn in and you i guarantee you will love them even more
beyersmile.png

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if there's one thing that the dt880's do well , it's most definitely balance done right.

feed them a decent tube amp and a quality source--and they will sing like Frank Sinatra.

beyersmile.png

I would just add that if you have the 600 ohm version, a tube amp would really be ideal as they typically handle the voltage swings better than SS to properly power them.
beyersmile.png

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #12 of 17
Thanks for your opinions, everybody. I probably shouldn't try to fix something that's not broken.
biggrin.gif

Who knows, with the way things are sounding, it could be my last pair I ever get.

Jan 26, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarinetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who knows, with the way things are sounding, it could be my last pair I ever get.

Pfftt.. this made me laugh a little.

Jan 26, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wsh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pfftt.. this made me laugh a little.

Yeah, me too. I just hope that's the case.

Jan 26, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #15 of 17
For what it's worth, I sold the DT880 and kept the SA5000. I love the DT880, but it is not as quick and transparent as the SA5000. Much of what the DT880 did right is substituted by the HD-800 the DT880 was sold to help pay for. The SA5000, however, was special enough for me to keep.

If I were in your position, I'd unload the SR-325i to pay for a SA5000 and keep the DT880. I had a long love affair with Grados, but they eventually became like a great song you're burned out on. You still love it but you don't listen to it any more.

Just my opinion, of course, but I think the SA5000 is a worthwhile headphone that is often underrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back