Just got my ATH-M50's...
Mar 4, 2011 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

deltz

New Head-Fier
Hey guys just got these headphones today, and i've got a question.
I also have the Sunrise SW-Xcape in ear headphones and when comparing them to the M50 they just seem so much more crisper and clearer(muffly in comparison)? Not sure if its due to the lack of my audio experience, but is that due it being in ears? Don't get me wrong they have great bass and overall sound, is it also due to them not being burnt in, ive probably got about 3 hours on them already?

Thanks for any help!

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the quick reply, i've tried it both on my HTC desire HD and also my PC which has a HD built in audio card. 

I've actually done a little research and many says this does very well without a amp/dac and its really easy to power? 

How would the fiio compare to a sound card such as an Asus Xonar one? And should I wait out for the e11? 

Thanks

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 14

Quote:

I've actually done a little research and many says this does very well without a amp/dac and its really easy to power? 

How would the fiio compare to a sound card such as an Asus Xonar one? And should I wait out for the e11? 

Thanks

For the most part they are wrong.  You need a decent DAP at least.  Your HTC phone and the PC w/ built in HD audio is about the worst you could do listening to them IMO.  Also keep in mind it sounds like you are listening out of the box.  Let them do their thing for a week or two.

I would wait for the E11.  Decent power and more versatile than a soundcard.  Perhaps even the E17 but that's a long wait.

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply, i've tried it both on my HTC desire HD and also my PC which has a HD built in audio card. 

Thanks

I agree with Anaxilus. They have to be wrong because I am hardly an audiophile but there is a stark difference going from an iPhone to the E7/E9. I am talking a night and day difference.

That being said, a good HD soundcard should be able to make the m50 atleast sound good to the point where they dont sound cramped with muffled bass. Do you have the Asus Xonar one? My m50's sound good out of my E-mu 0202 and I don't know what it has in terms of amplification but I suspect not much.

I cannot compare the Fiio to the Xonar one as I have never owned a Xonar one myself. The E11 is an amp that is missing the DAC section so I don't see the point of waiting for it. Go ahead and get yourself a decent DAC first and that will give you the biggest boost in performance for your m50.

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for the information! Would it be wiser go for both e7/e9 in one go (would be cheaper for me). Would it really be worth the price as both combined are more expensive than the headphones themselves!
What are the other alternatives to the Fiio e7?

Mar 4, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 14
There are innumerable DACs out there. Just take a look at the source forums or if your looking for a more portable setup, then the portable amps forum. I have only heard the output from a realtek onboard soundcard, a creative X-fi, an E-mu 0202 and the Fiio combo so I can compare only those for you. If you ask me, in terms of bang for the buck, the Fiio E7/E9 is a fantastic option because it future proofs you for when you get a lower sensitivity can. If you aren't ready for that 200$ investment though how about you look for a second hand total bithead dac/amp? You can have that for a 100$ and while the amp section is not nearly as powerful as the E9, it should have enough juice to power the m50's. =)

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #9 of 14
On the other side, it COULD be that the X-Cape is more detailed, hell, I concur with you when I compare my RE-ZEROs to my friend's M50s, at least when powered from my clip+.

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
On the other side, it COULD be that the X-Cape is more detailed, hell, I concur with you when I compare my RE-ZEROs to my friend's M50s, at least when powered from my clip+.

Sacrilege =P.

Seriously though, I don't have the RE-ZERO's to compare but I do know that the m50's sound sublime so ill be defensive anyway =P. Clip+ is a portable source so it is an unfair comparison.

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 14
99dB/1mW @ 38 ohm vs 100dB/1mW @ 16 ohm isn't really THAT unfair (efficiency being key here, since a higher impedance doesn't imply a difficult load), I've been comparing both out from my clip+, too. I'll give you that the M50's start to open up at louder volumes, louder than is comfortable for me sadly, so maybe they do need an amp to shine at lower volumes. In comparison, and in my limited experience, I find the highs on the m50's to be an itsy bit shirill and the high-mids a bit hollowed out... Or maybe the RE-ZEROs are rolled off and loud in the mids?, I don't care, I'm a mids fiend and find their presentation more engaging. I wouldn't dare to say that the M50 are clearly better, or viceversa, since both sound amazing for the money.

Mar 5, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #14 of 14
I just got my ATH-M50S today and even though I haven't really burned them in, I did compare them both with my realtek HD audio ALC889 on board sound, and my Titanium HD.
The ALC 889 is the best chip for realtek HD audio there is as of now. And the Titanium HD is the best of audiophile soundcards from creative. Now when I tested between the two, I didn't see a day and night difference, but rather day and evening
etysmile.gif
which is really good still.

Now, that being put aside, Its a debate between getting the Titanium HD (or the Xonar) and the dac/amp. The Dac/amp is if you intend to use your ATh-M50 for portable use with your ipod, phone, mp3, etc. as well as your laptop at home. The simple reason I went for Titanium HD is because I also decided that I may get into studio work (FL studio) and creative music when I got my ATh-M50 which the FiiO would do nothing differently than the onboard soundcard at that point.

Conclusion:
FiiO if your ATh-M50's will be plugged into your media player/phone majority of the time
Titanium Hd or Xonar if your ATH-M50's will be plugged into your computer most of the time (also if you have speakers to hook up, this is good).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back