Just got iHP-140, so far, _not_ impressed
Mar 27, 2004 at 3:20 PM Post #61 of 122
austonia, you're psychotic, seeing how you've got multiple $300+ music players... I mean, how much total have you spent on them... $2000?

and on the iriver.. well, if you've ever used iriver cd mp3 players in the past, you'd understand the interface. the hard drive spins because its loading stuff from the harddrive to the memory. its trying to reduce latency times. the clicking sound can be disabled in the properties menu... and complaints about it having a brown case seem, well, stupid.

basically, if you're going to be blasting a player, at least spend some time to work all the stuff out. patience is a good thing.

Mar 27, 2004 at 3:47 PM Post #62 of 122
Quote:

and on the iriver.. well, if you've ever used iriver cd mp3 players in the past, you'd understand the interface. the hard drive spins because its loading stuff from the harddrive to the memory. its trying to reduce latency times.

The hard drive should only spin when you request a song. Then it spins up the hard drive and caches a few songs to the internal RAM. This is normal behavior with MP3 players.

What austonia was complaining about was that he wasn't requesting anything and the hard drive was spinning. And it couldn't really be caching anything because he didn't give it any hints as to what to cache.

Mar 27, 2004 at 3:51 PM Post #63 of 122
Quote:

Originally posted by karmypolitics
and on the iriver.. well, if you've ever used iriver cd mp3 players in the past, you'd understand the interface. the hard drive spins because its loading stuff from the harddrive to the memory. its trying to reduce latency times. the clicking sound can be disabled in the properties menu... and complaints about it having a brown case seem, well, stupid.
basically, if you're going to be blasting a player, at least spend some time to work all the stuff out. patience is a good thing.

I understand the interface just fine. Apparently you don't understand the problem I was describing, not at all. It would help if you read the whole thread before making comments.

edit: removed one unfreindly adjective.

Mar 27, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #64 of 122
Quote:

Originally posted by PooJou
Yeah i had a few issues with the 52 character limit, the player just skips them (watching it skip the entire 'Me First and the Gimme Gimme's album was funny)

frown.gif

What?!!! I don't believe it! (sounding like Victor Meldrew)

I just checked my MP3 collection and I have a fair number of songs that are longer than 52 characters. How in the world am I going to play them then? Is there a way to go around this problem?

This is retarted! I was so set to purchase the iHP-120; but now the cons/bugs are nearly weighting as much as the benefits of gettting it. I think whoever designed the iHP must be so silly to have a made the mistake of this limit.

IMHO now, a DAP (eg like the iPod) is superior even if its simple in interface and doesn't offer as many features compared to a DAP that offers plenty but is just so buggy that it's frustrating.

I would get an iPod but the battery factor is the only thing putting me off. But now that I'm about to take the plunge with the iRiver, I feel that reading all the reviews and feedback, I'm just asking for it when I buy it and eventually find some annoying things when playing with it. I see this like buying a new mid-range car with all the accessories and add-ons thrown in when you so obviously know it has problems with say its imperfect fuel ejection system or a inherit a faulty ABS. I know a bad analogy but I'm trying to make a point.

I'm a very tech savy guy, love playing with gadgets and I'm very adaptable to what ever new device I find, would you still recommend the iHP-120 over the iPod?

Mar 27, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #65 of 122
In the case of song titles over 52 characters, I shorten the length. It's sooooo easy.
280smile.gif
I always use the DB Function, so it indicates a failure in the case of that. I shorten the length - works every time. Very simple really.

I have only had to deal with it on a few occassions, though. Most songs don't exceed 52 characters.

Mar 27, 2004 at 4:41 PM Post #66 of 122
Sigh! So, I'LL have to shorten the length. I don't doubt it's easy to do. I just though purchasing a $399 MP3 player I wouldn't have to make changes to my collection to suit the player.

I looked at my collection again, and no no no, I have plenty that have more than 52 characters. I can't go changing the titles for a lot of them esp the for the Dance, Classical and Sountrack/Scores MP3's, and that's alot of them! It's just too much of a hassle and annoying to try rename a title for let's say an opera.

BTW, what software do you use to create that DB? Is it iHPTools, and does it come with the player? Sorry, I don't know cuz' I haven't yet (decided to) gotten the iHP-120. Can I use anyother software to check the 52 character limit; I've read that it isn't the greatest of softwares.

Does the player complete not 'see' or recognize the MP3 if it's longer than 52 characters? Can I play it any other way?

Mar 27, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #67 of 122
austonia,

With your observation of the hard drive spinning unncecessarily, do you experience a shortening of battery life? How many hours do you get on a charge with normal listening usage?

Thanks,
W

Mar 27, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #68 of 122
Quote:

Originally posted by jayzen

Does the player complete not 'see' or recognize the MP3 if it's longer than 52 characters? Can I play it any other way?

As far as i can see, it just skips them, it can see them but won't play them... Not really a biggie for me, as most of my folders rely on ID3 tags - and they are mostly in the format of <folder> Tracknumber - Song name.

So yeah, besides this (i only saw it with said mfgg's albums) there should be no problem, depending on how you rip your mp3's (i use the method above...)

Mar 27, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #69 of 122
Jazz outlines my point nicely.. and if you turn the volume up, you'll notice white noise if you plug your headphones directly into the line out - this is due to the impedance mismatch I believe.

Mar 27, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #70 of 122
With regard to the hard drive spinning when it is not needed, it only occurs in places where the time spent spinning is short.

For example, when you turn on the IHP and do nothing, the drive spins until auto-power-off (default - about a minute). If you set the power-off to ten minutes, then the drive spins that long after a power on. However, once you start playing music, the drive spins down after filling the music buffer. Another instance is the record standby mode. Until you actually start recording, the drive spins. Once you start recording, the drive spins down and only spins up periodically to save your recorded audio.

So this undesired spinning has little or no impact on battery life. Fixing the problem would save only seconds of battery life per charge.

Mar 27, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #71 of 122
Quote:

Originally posted by IpaqMan
With regard to the hard drive spinning when it is not needed, it only occurs in places where the time spent spinning is short.

For example, when you turn on the IHP and do nothing, the drive spins until auto-power-off (default - about a minute). If you set the power-off to ten minutes, then the drive spins that long after a power on. However, once you start playing music, the drive spins down after filling the music buffer. Another instance is the record standby mode. Until you actually start recording, the drive spins. Once you start recording, the drive spins down and only spins up periodically to save your recorded audio.

So this undesired spinning has little or no impact on battery life. Fixing the problem would save only seconds of battery life per charge.

IpaqMan, thank you very much for the information.

If you play only wav files on the iHP, then it has to access the hard disk much more frequently than mp3. Does anyone have any idea how long the battery can last on the iHP120/140 in this scenerio?

Thanks,
W

Mar 28, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #72 of 122
i'm having a hard time getting the database function to work at all.

the manual, page 24, just says plug in the play, load Windows Explorer, right click on it, and there is an option for "DB file update".

Well, there's not. I've tried 3 PC's.

So I go to iRiver's global homepage, and it says something totally different. first of all, they didn't bother linking any software to the IHP-140. No, you have to pick the iHP-120, and then it shows you "iHP Series DB Manager V1.10" which "The Manager program sorts and generates a database of the MP3 files by Artist, Album, Genre and Title from the tag information for every iHP series(iHP-100, iHP-120)."

So apparently you need this program. Only, it won't download from the iRiver site. Thier link is broken, no download.

ARG! My opinion is not improving..

Mar 28, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #73 of 122
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia

the manual, page 24, just says plug in the play, load Windows Explorer, right click on it, and there is an option for "DB file update".

So I go to iRiver's global homepage, and it says something totally different. first of all, they didn't bother linking any software to the IHP-140. No, you have to pick the iHP-120, and then it shows you "iHP Series DB Manager V1.10" which "The Manager program sorts and generates a database of the MP3 files by Artist, Album, Genre and Title from the tag information for every iHP series(iHP-100, iHP-120)."

So apparently you need this program. Only, it won't download from the iRiver site. Thier link is broken, no download.

Austonia: When I connect to my USB cable, My iHP-120 shows up as 'F' Drive. I right click on it, and the 4th item down is 'update DB File'. When you click on 'update DB File', this begins the iHP Manager update run. I did not download anything. I did update to 1.4 Firmware, but that was later. The software 'install' CD should have come packaged with your player.

You don't have 'update DB File' showing?

Mar 28, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #74 of 122
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia

i got that software on a CD with my iHP.

no offense, but you're beginning to resemble my father. by all means, your arguments could be valid, but im finding it hard to believe that you can be having all these problems with the unit that i've never even heard of before.

Mar 28, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #75 of 122
Quote:

Originally posted by e-r0ck
no offense, but you're beginning to resemble my father. by all means, your arguments could be valid, but im finding it hard to believe that you can be having all these problems with the unit that i've never even heard of before.

hey, What do i know? Maybe you should find out before making such a judgement. I troubleshoot telecom hardware and circuits for a living, I've built more than 20 PC's for myself, friends and family - and provide tech support, I've built several websites, and I've owned a dozen HD-DAPs. Is that good enough to get the benefit of the doubt, that maybe I know what I'm doing? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back