Just got iHP-140, so far, _not_ impressed
Mar 26, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #16 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by everyone
BUT HOW DOES IT SOUND

look forward to hearing your review on the sound and functionality of the iHP, Austonia, since you seem to have heard just about everything else out there.

Mar 26, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #17 of 122
it took me maybe ten minutes to go from opening the blister pack to listening to some tunes with the ihp-120 through DAC and hpamp. i really don't see what problems there could be, since no install is required. something must be weird with your computer...
of course, my hands were a bit bloody after that blister pack...
frown.gif

p.s. xtreme4099 - have you compared the AOS DAC to other DACs?

Mar 26, 2004 at 12:48 AM Post #18 of 122
I use scissors to open my pack, took me my precious 5mins since I am trying to open it as tidy as possible.

I also don't have prob with the 'plug and play' in both my win xp pro PC rig and iBook.

Just plugged it in and it simple recognize it.
Your Windows probably got messed up with the Dell-DJ thing.

=Prince-

Mar 26, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #19 of 122
well, having played with it for awhile, I'm not very happy with this player. I'm trying to keep an open mind about it but there are a lot of things I don't like about its operation and controls. I'll make notes and post them later tonight.

For instance
- while browsing through the file tree, there is no way to adjust volume, and no way to directly go the Settings or Now Playing screen. To get back the now playing screen, you have to hit Left 4 or 5 times to exit out through all the directories until you get the Root directory.
- while browsing the file tree, the play/pause button does not play or pause, nor does the stop button stop the music... instead they act like "go to previous directory" and "select", except that.. uh. the joystick does the same thing with left and right movements.
- Since there is no dedicated volume buttons, you need to be on the Now Playing screen to adjust volume. other screens use the joystick for navigation. also, to use the play/pause and stop buttons to control surrent song you must be in the Now Playing screen only.
- the joystick controller is dissapointing. It makes a loud CLICK when you press it in, and its a little difficult to use it in the 4 directions because its is so small and smooth-tipped and rather stiff. A rubber coating would have greatly improved how the thumb can grip it.
- the ID3 tag scanner won't work with the tunes I loaded because my filenames are generally long ("Artist - Album - Track# - Title.mp3") and it will only scan files of 52 characters or less. Now, I know away around this, but still... it will take extra effort. The program ID3/Tag Studio can scan the ID3 tag data and rebuild the filenames to a different format I specify like "Track# - Title.mp3".

Hard Drive spin
===========
- Curiously, the hard drive spins nearly all the time. Constantly, while I am browsing for music or in the settings menu. When I start playing an album, it buffers a few tracks like normal and then spins down. However, after it needs to buffer more songs, it does so and then the disc keeps spinning. It's not accessing anything, and the LED isn't lit, but it is certainly spinning. Even if I press Stop, the disc still spins while its not playing music. If I go back to the file tree, and load another album, it will buffer again and then the disc spins down like before. However, if I pause the player and it shuts down from inactivity, when I turn it back, the disc starts spinning again.

This is unlike all the other players I've used, for it to keep the disc running even after its buffered music (and the rest of the time). I don't hear the head accessing the disc, but I can feel it and hear it spin. I bring this up because obviously this is mechanical movement where there shouldn't need to be. I would be worried about it getting damaged during travel, as opposed to other players that spin down after they buffer up music. And while spinning it emits a low-pitch whine that is certainly audible in a quiet room. I would guess that it was a miniature fan inside the case, except that I've seen pictures of it disassembled.

Mar 26, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #21 of 122
Quote:

Originally posted by jpburton5150
umm actually you dont have to hit stop 5 times to go back to the now playing screen... you just have to hit the a->b button. and yes the whole iRiver set up does have a strong learning curve.

well i tried that before (A/B button) and it didn't work. I tried it again, and it still doesn't work like that. I tried the short press, and a long one. It doesn't have any function in the file browser that I can tell. I am using the 1.40u firmware.

Mar 26, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #22 of 122
hmm thats weird i have 1.40U too... can anyone else with an iHP-140 specifically report on this issue (not that I dont trust you austonia)... cus it could just be a bug due to the iHP-120 and 140 running on the same firmware and the iHP-140 not being optomized correctly or something

Mar 26, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #23 of 122
Just a short comment for now...The HD on my IHP remains idle after each buffer fill. Not sure of what's up with yours. As for the other stuff, that's your call. I think it's good that you're not holding back on what you think. People are entitled to know the good bad and ugly. I personally have no gripes with any of the things you've mentioned, but maybe it's because you're used to having so many different players that you know exactly what's best for you. Spoiled brat you !
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, not sure of why you're having problems with xp recognizing the IHP etc...took my system the usual amount of time to pick up on it. I think I had mine running like 5 minutes out of the box with set up folder structures and all. I personally don't like the DB mode, and find it a waste of time, so I only ever bothered with it about a month ago out of pure curiosity. Wasn't impressed at all. Especially since as you said, in order to have it working in optimal conditions, 3rd party software is necessary...F that. Yeah, Iriver screwed the pooch on that one for sure.

More later I guess.

Mar 26, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #24 of 122
I can confirm the A/B press to get back to the main screen from anywhere you are.
EDIT: Firmware 1.40

Mar 26, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #25 of 122
>>> I found the problem on my computer. The iHP doesn't work correctly with ReChair's Dudebox Explorer program installed. It's not the Dell Driver, i tried that, it's definately Dudebox. I was able to duplicate the problem on one of my other PC's. Before Dudebox, iHP works normally. With Dudebox, it doesn't mount correctly. When Dudebox is uninstalled, the iHP is correctly recognized by windows again. I'll report it to RedChair and see what they say...

Mar 26, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #27 of 122
Quote:

Originally posted by Sweet Spot
I can confirm the A/B press to get back to the main screen from anywhere you are.
EDIT: Firmware 1.40

Well.. get this. I cleaned out the files I had loaded and put on 2000 other tracks. Now when I'm in the file tree, the A/B button does send me the Now Playing screen. What?

Mar 26, 2004 at 5:55 AM Post #28 of 122
thanks for all the info! i personally found bitchin threads alot more help than praise threads... then you can actually see whats wrong about a player....

sad tho, i was seriously considering an ihp, but these sounds like real annoyances.

glad to know my zen nx is still relevant piece of brick
biggrin.gif
(except the fact that the LCD has fudged twice on me [disappeared] which has me scared)

Mar 26, 2004 at 7:48 AM Post #29 of 122
austonia, many thanks for the review. You just put me over the edge I was teetering on, deciding what DAP to get. I was drooling over the iHP-140 due to it's massive feature set, and Vorbis support. However, I'm now leaning towards either the Rio Karma (One word: VU meters. Entertainment for hours) or the NJB3. On the one hand, the Karma is dinky, sexy, and has VU meters. On the other, the NJB3 is a proven product, is known to sound great, has [supposed] 22 hour battery life with the extra one, and is MUCH cheaper. So I'm still stuck. But at least you eliminated one product from the equation.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Mar 26, 2004 at 8:11 AM Post #30 of 122
OK, i figured out the deal with the A/B button returning you to the Now Playing screen when browsing. it does, and it doesn't.

When you are in any directory *with* music files in that directory, then you can use the A/B button to get back to the Now Playing screen.

When you are in any middle-level directory, or directory *without* music files, you cannot use the A/B button to get back to the Now Playing screen. It doesn't do anything in fact. Either go to a directory with music in it, or back to the Root, before you can exit to the Now Playing screen.

So if you have a file structure like this...
Root / Music / albums / 311 / Evolver
...with tracks in the Evolver directory, then you can use the A/B button there. But unless you stick tracks in the Music, Albums, or 311 directories, you will have to navigate up or down before you can exit the file browser. Dumb, if you ask me. Little things like this become more apparent, the more you use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back