Just got iHP-140, so far, _not_ impressed
Mar 26, 2004 at 9:02 AM Post #31 of 122
i know what you mean by the spinning.. it does that at the beginning.. after i play a music... and when it is done buffering it makes a clicking noise and no more spinning noise... it stops spinning... and when i stop the music from playing.. it no longer spins...

i think its so you can listen to the music at the beginning as soon as you choose the music without waiting for harddrive to run... after that it never does it again... after buffer ends once... harddrive always stops... until new info is needed

Mar 26, 2004 at 11:53 AM Post #32 of 122
The iHP-120, I purchased 6 weeks ago was my very first MP3 Player. I have had NO issues at all. Sure; I had to ask some questions, a little help, but after reading the manual, I'm rockin and rollin'.

I love this player. PERIOD!
eek.gif
Yeah! Dig that. It does everything I expected it to do. I know it's the best way I could have spent my $342.00 (including shipping). I'm glad I bought this over the much touted iPod. No question!

Try one for your self people before you make any FINAL decision.

Oh; I use Tag&Rename along with Roxio 6. What a great combo!

Mar 26, 2004 at 1:33 PM Post #33 of 122
Austonia, do you actually LIKE anything about the iHP-140?
I only ask because I think its only fair that prospective buyers know the good and the bad from someone as potentially influential as yourself, and at the moment your evaluation is a bit one-sided.

Mar 26, 2004 at 2:11 PM Post #34 of 122
Quote:

Originally posted by pomegranate
I only ask because I think its only fair that prospective buyers know the good and the bad from someone as potentially influential as yourself, and at the moment your evaluation is a bit one-sided.

Most people tend to critique a product more than praise it.

Mar 26, 2004 at 2:27 PM Post #35 of 122
i never had a problem with mine. no hard drive spin up, no errors or lock ups, no brown case
biggrin.gif

I cant stand the argument that its easier to get around on the iPod. It is intuituve, but i can too a lot more in a lot shorter time on my iRiver cuz i dont have to move my hand all around the player just to back in and our of directories and menus (thats including the time lost for not having a scroll wheel).

The packaging argument is pretty lame. I thought the iRiver packaging was very slick looking and I've come to live in harmony with those type of plastic casing because they're not going away
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2004 at 3:25 PM Post #36 of 122
random thoughts:

In the file navigation screens, they made a bad choice to put the File icon on the left hand side of the screen instead of at the top.. though its not needed at all. I say this because the space provded for the icon consumes 20% of the screen, and the font is fairly large, so you really can't see much of the filename (without selecting a file so the filename can start scrolling). In a list you can see the first 14 characters only. So for a track named "Faith No More - Epic.mp3" .. all you can see is "Faith No More "... Stupid file icon.
mad.gif

The build quality, while it seems good at first sight, is only average. There are 10 micro-screws visible on the exterior. (Dell DJ, Apple iPod: 0). The Front, Back, Sides, Top, and Bottom are all seperately molded pieces and obviously, stuck together. The sides are grey and do not match the front. The surfaces are all slick and don't provide a good grip. In comparison, the DJ has a nice rubberized molding around the circumfrence that helps keep it from slipping out of your hand. The backside of the iHP is made ugly by 2 large stickers that take up most of the surface area. One reminds you not to drop it, swim with it, or use near a powerful magnet. NO ****. But they forgot to remind me not to use it near weapons of mass destruction, so I'll have to write that one down. The other sticker tells you important things like "Multi-Codec Jukebox (MP3 player)", "WOW is trademark of SRS Labs", and "Firmware upgradable!"...
rolleyes.gif
an uncluttered backside would be classier; think iPod.

The iHP's hold button is tiny, and cheap. It wiggles even. The other buttons are unusually small as well, only a few millimeters in diameter.

only 4 buttons:
1. On/Play/Pause - or "Select" in file navigation screen
2. Stop/Off - or "Up directory" in file navigation screen
3. A/B-Mode - or "return to Now Playing screen" from any folder where there is also music files stored.
4. EQ/Record

the IHP would really benefit from dedicated Volume buttons, and a dedicated Menu/Now Playing button like on Creative's players. But too late for that. The play/pause and stop buttons should _not_ change function while file browsing since they only duplicate functions allready provided by the joystick. The A/B button should take you back to the Now Playing screen from any folder, with or wihout music files in that folder

The design of the frontside is OK, but nothing special. I pay close attention to design, and the elements could use more cohesion. The joystick is accented with a silver plastic "X" insert that is gimmicky and serves no function. Keeping it all-black, perhaps with LED illumination under the joystick would have been more polished and professional looking. The backlit buttons on the Dell DJ/iPod add a lot to pride-in-ownership.

The remote needs a separate dongle to allow most full-size headphones (with larger plugs) to connect to it. If they would simply have placed the jack a centimeter further out so it was flush with the remote's exterior, it wouldn't have needed a dongle. The remote has odd configuration as well. The in and out wires seem to be on the wrong end, on the bottom, in relation to the clip. This is hard to describe, but consider, if you have the iHP in your pocket or backpack, and the remote clipped in normal fashion on your jeans pocket/belt, then the in and out wires are facing your feet. So, both will have to be looped back up toward your midsection. Dell DJ remote is the same.
confused.gif

Some remotes have one end input and the other end output, so you could have the player in your pocket and the remote in your jacket pocket, with the input wire facing your pocket and the output facing up towards your ears for short-length earbuds. Like MD players.

I havn't got the ID3 tag database function working at all. I have the function turned on in the config, but when it boots up, it goes straight to the File View. I know it won't read any files longer than 52 characters, but I assumed it would read the ones that were shorter and ignore the rest. Will look into that when I break down and read the manual.

Onboard playlisting, and file deletion are two very useful features that are missing. Certainly more useful than lyric display! Since the IHP's have been on the market more than 6 months, I would guess that iRiver does not intend to add either of these features. Maybe they will surprise us, but my money says thier engineers are completely focused on the upcoming model lines.

Now there a lot of things the iHP does right, but those have been discussed. Detailed screen, polished GUI, highly-advanced remote, OGG support, full Mass storage device compliant, no music management software required, analog/optical line in/out (though, not true line-out), MP3 encoding, Mic recording, file-tree navigation _and_ ID3 tag database capable, FM radio, and the iHP-140 is the only other player on the market with a 1.8" 40gb drive aside from iPod. But, price reflects this, making it the second most expensive player on the market.

I am satisfied with the sound quality at flat EQ, though I havn't done any A/B testing yet. Power output is strong. The battery seems to last forever, one of the very best I've seen. On par with Dell DJ. Maybe a marathon is in order?

I'm still trying to decide if I want to keep it or go with an Xclef HD800, but I'll have to import one first and compare them. I do want one player with folder navigation instead of ID3 tag databasing, and the iRiver may be the best choice currently available in the US. The only competitors with folder navigation are Archos players and Pogo's Ripdrive (rebadged Xclef HD500). The Gmini220 has its own goofy issues and the Ripdrive is frikken huge. But CES and CeBit displayed a whole range of new-generation DAP on the way.

Personally, I would not recommend the iHP for most users since it's not very intuitive to use, quirky operation, and relatively pricey (though - still a better value than iPod if ease-of-use is not factored). But it might be the right solution for people with a large collection of mp3's with crappy/missing ID3-tags. Or if OGG was your codec of choice. Or if you primarily need a portable hard drive or voice recorder. Or if you want to use a remote for primary operation, the iHP has no competition.

Otherwise, I'll point you towards a Dell DJ for the value-conscious (Dudebox mandatory), the iPod mini for the casual user and for sport/gym use, or the Nomad Jukebox 3 for the power-user/audiophile.

(just putting together my thoughts a proper review in the near future)
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #37 of 122
Mar 26, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #38 of 122
Quote:

Well, most of these products sell themselves with all the nifty features, impressive specs, and chrome accents. Like the iHP. It looks totally awesome in stealth black, but in the end, it's how it works that really matters. I've had a dozen of these things, so I know what I like - efficient controls & operation, cohesive design, quality components/build, and strictly clean sound. So, I notice all the little things that could have been done better, can't help it.

By the way, I DO like the iHP, it's obviously a top-tier player, but it has room for improvement, just like all the rest of the pack. I may appear more critical of the iHP, but that is because it is positioned as the best-featured, most advanced.. so it deserves scrutiny. The iPod, in comparison, doesn't try to do much more than be a friendly, attractive walkman, so I don't knock it for being rather light on features or overly-simplified - that's the point. Still, the new touchy-feely buttons suck, and its EQ is worthless, but that's for another thread.
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2004 at 4:33 PM Post #39 of 122
Quote:

Originally posted by xtreme4099
most all your complaints can fixed with a firmware upgrade .... or firmware hacked upgrade ... like a swedish group did for the pesky archos players ... http://rockbox.haxx.se/
that added incredible amount of features ... http://rockbox.haxx.se/docs/features.html

If I remember right, Archos made the firmware open source and that's how there is a hacked firmware load got started. You won't see that happen with Rio, Creative, iRiver, Apple, etc.. if it were possible, i assume some genious-programmers would have made an alternative for the iPod by now...

(non-functioning Linux load on iPod doesn't count!)

Mar 26, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #40 of 122
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
If I remember right, Archos made the firmware open source and that's how there is a hacked firmware load got started. You won't see that happen with Rio, Creative, iRiver, Apple, etc.. if it were possible, i assume some genious-programmers would have made an alternative for the iPod by now...

(non-functioning Linux load on iPod doesn't count!)

nope. archos never made their firmware open source. dedicated kids did some backwards engineering and figured it out... just to note.

Mar 26, 2004 at 7:11 PM Post #41 of 122
Quote:

Originally posted by jpburton5150
hmm thats weird i have 1.40U too... can anyone else with an iHP-140 specifically report on this issue (not that I dont trust you austonia)... cus it could just be a bug due to the iHP-120 and 140 running on the same firmware and the iHP-140 not being optomized correctly or something

I have the iHP-140 and I can confirm that the A/B button doesn't cause me to exit the file browser. Like austonia, I tried both long and short-duration presses of the button. I also upgraded firmware to 1.40(u) (factory default, which wasn't what my 140 came with from the factory(!!!))

Mar 26, 2004 at 11:35 PM Post #42 of 122
Austonia,

Do you actually listen to any music on your players? No disrespect intended, but the one thing you've commented on less than anything else is your impressions on how the thing sounds. There are those of us who have lugged amps, cables and hd600's through airports in the name of great sound. Obviously, one would want to know that the player works and has reasonable functionality, but I think the group would also love to see some analysis relating to sound quality. Why don't you do a comparison of all your players from a sonic point of view. That would be a truly great service to this community.

Mar 26, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #43 of 122
rolleyes.gif

Excellent review austonia, my friend bought one and he loves it. I was thinking about buying an iRiver after hearing his 120, which to my ears, sounded like bliss (with the eq on
wink.gif
)when paired with my 7506's...so much more than the nbj3. What it comes down is the fact that these dap units tend to sound very nice, so functionality has to be ridiculed...why would anyone buy a great sounding source if it was a pain in the arse to work?

Mar 27, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #44 of 122
gloco, this isn't meant exactly to be an answer to your point, but I switched from iPod to iHP partly because I found the iPod sound unsatisfying, and had heard the iHP was better, which I think it is. Of course, the iHP is harder to use, but this is subjective. Harder compared to iPod means...well it means "less than 100% perfect", not "anything like actually DIFFICULT" Of course I miss the slick interface of the iPod, but would I switch back for the sake of the interface alone? Not at all.

Mar 27, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #45 of 122
Quote:

gloco, this isn't meant exactly to be an answer to your point, but I switched from iPod to iHP partly because I found the iPod sound unsatisfying, and had heard the iHP was better, which I think it is. Of course, the iHP is harder to use, but this is subjective. Harder compared to iPod means...well it means "less than 100% perfect", not "anything like actually DIFFICULT" Of course I miss the slick interface of the iPod, but would I switch back for the sake of the interface alone? Not at all.

Well, again, that's just your opinion. There's people out there that would jump back and forth until they found the best of both world's: great sound+intuitive design. Most people seem to think the Ipod is it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back