Just got delivery of my ATH-L3000 "Leatherhead"
Nov 21, 2003 at 7:20 PM Post #31 of 80
It's hard to say if these would be better or worse than the production models. They might have wanted ringers for the regional offices, especially since they would be used to drive sales. I'm dying to hear your impressions though!

Nov 21, 2003 at 7:32 PM Post #32 of 80
Congrats Headphonecrazy. You mentioned they may have sold out of this model. If so, that sure was fast. In my opinion this is good news. It shows there is a demand for highend headphones and hopefully AT and others develop more and better headphones. Now, it seems Sony gave up on the R 10 or a highend headphone program to soon. Obviously, the R 10s going rate is over priced now because it is rare in the market place, but a modern headphone with the quality or better than the R 10 that is priced in the 1500.00 to 2000.00 dollar range would sell like hot cakes.

Nov 21, 2003 at 7:40 PM Post #33 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by Kieran Comito
but a modern headphone with the quality or better than the R 10 that is priced in the 1500.00 to 2000.00 dollar range would sell like hot cakes.

Mmmmmm, hot cakes!
biggrin.gif

No really, I agree with you, there are way too few really good headphones out there for the number of great headphone amps avaliable.

Nov 21, 2003 at 8:28 PM Post #34 of 80
Quote:

Now, it seems Sony gave up on the R 10 or a highend headphone program to soon. Obviously, the R 10s going rate is over priced now because it is rare in the market place, but a modern headphone with the quality or better than the R 10 that is priced in the 1500.00 to 2000.00 dollar range would sell like hot cakes.

from the sound of it, it sounds like all 1000 are sold out already.

I do wonder if we'll get a "trickle-down" regular production model the way we got the W1000 out of the W2002 limited edition.

Mark

Nov 22, 2003 at 1:41 AM Post #37 of 80
Equipment used for listening:

Sony CDP-X3000ES
X-Cans V3 with modded caps & Siemens CCa tubes
Aural Symphonics AS-ONE i/c

Discs:
Fear Factory - Remanufacture
George Winston - Piano Solo
Matrix Revolutions OST
Willie Nelson - Stardust

Impressions after 24 hrs of burn-in:
The drivers have loosen up a little as compared to before the cookin. This cans IMHO sounded sooooo neutral, a sound characteristic that is so different from all other AT cans that I've heard before - I can listen to this baby for hours without fatigue.

I think it is the very musical midrange that it can portraited, the voice of Willie Nelson is so real, the piano solos of George Winston sounded so natural + what huge sounstage & depth, you can hear all the transient and start stop of every single note.

All the graininess at accompanied the "new" cans from yesterday are almost gone.

The bass can definitely go much lower as compared to the W100, W1000 but listening to Fear Factory's Remanufacture, this baby is probably not that fastest sounding that I've heard, more pleasant & musical I'll say. Phones for rock and metal they are not.

wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Nov 22, 2003 at 1:45 AM Post #38 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by headphonecrazy

The bass can definitely go much lower as compared to the W100, W1000 but listening to Fear Factory's Remanufacture, this baby is probably not that fastest sounding that I've heard, more pleasant & musical I'll say. Phones for rock and metal they are not.

At least that stops me drom ever wanting those cans, save to look at
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2003 at 2:20 AM Post #41 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
What a pity that A-T isn't making a two-tone leatherhead -- with one cup green and one cup brown and the headband striped. Now that would truly be an item in poor taste.

reminds me of the $1.6M Mercedes CLK-GTR that had plaid leather seats. YUCK!

Nov 22, 2003 at 3:12 AM Post #45 of 80
The differences in prices weren't all that much 1.5M vs. 1.6M and they both go 190 something miles per hour and 0-60 in under 4...

rolleyes.gif
If you were buying a street car of that calibur would you really care? or would you just the one that fit your tastes better since you'd never use all that performance anyway? Of course if you're that rich and have your own damn track...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back