Just got a pair of DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm, will my E10 be enough?
Jan 9, 2013 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

GLaDOS

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I bought a pair of DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm on Amazon tonight and I'm wondering if my Fiio E10 is going to be enough to power them? If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to a good amp to pair with the E10 in the $100 price range? Thanks in advance for your help, I really appreciate it!

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I bought a pair of DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm on Amazon tonight and I'm wondering if my Fiio E10 is going to be enough to power them? If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to a good amp to pair with the E10 in the $100 price range? Thanks in advance for your help, I really appreciate it!

The Fiio E10 should have no problem driving 250-Ohm headphones.
My E11 drives 250-Ohm headphone with the volume knob at 45%.

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 10
Those must be better than the E7 I just unboxed tonight. It can't drive my 880 250ohm more than my iphone.....Looking at the specs it's different from what was quoted on Amazon. 150milliamps@16ohms and only 16ma @ 300. Amazon quoted 250ma@16ohm. The E9 is the only amp I've found so far that can drive my 880's to the point it starts to get uncomfortable.

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

It will drive them perfectly fine.

If you want to use the E10's line out to another amplifier in the future, the Schiit Magni is a nice upgrade in power output. But you don't need it at all for the DT770.

Quote:
Those must be better than the E7 I just unboxed tonight. It can't drive my 880 250ohm more than my iphone.....Looking at the specs it's different from what was quoted on Amazon. 150milliamps@16ohms and only 16ma @ 300. Amazon quoted 250ma@16ohm. The E9 is the only amp I've found so far that can drive my 880's to the point it starts to get uncomfortable.

The E10 drives 600ohm DT880's just fine. Too loud even when maxed with gain set high too. It shouldn't be able to do that, if you think about pure relationship of resistance to power output, but there's so much more to it, and it happens to be apparent when you try it with this combination. I've done it, and it sounds great even. Then again, I use speaker amps, but I'm serious that the E10 powers things just fine.

Very best,

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
What the...yes? I have the dt990 600ohm and my e10 powers them just fine. To the point of uncomfortable levels even. I'm sure there's a better amp/dac pairing for the 990 but hey - gotta start somewhere.

The E10 powers things. Someone will likely argue that it cannot achieve full dynamics. That may be technically true. But funny enough, our ears are pathetic devices for knowing much of a difference. I tested the E10 versus other amps to see if it really could show the difference in dynamics on headphones and found it impossible to truly tell if the difference was dynamics or simply synergy of the pairings. You'll get a lot of flack recommending an E10 for 600ohm headphones and planar magnetics. I have in the past myself. But the end result is that if it sounds good together, then it's fine. Not everything is numbers and theory in this game. Most of it is truly simply preference, and a lot of psychology.

The E10 truly is a marvel for it's price tag. I say that as someone who uses speaker amps as I love over-kill. But I try to be objective for others and honestly the E10 is very surprising in what it's able to make sound good (let's leave theory behind).

Here's some examples of the E10 sounding fantastic with headphones it probably shouldn't according to Head-Fi lore (hah...):

T70 (250ohm), DT880 (600ohm), HE-500 (Whhaattt???), HE-400 (whattt??)

Again, sounds great. Technically maybe should not. Most certainly shouldn't, according to numbers and measurements, be able to make the DT880 600ohm and HE-500 sound great and dynamic. This would normally be pretty troll worthy, actually. But I'm a fool without golden ears, so I like to test things out.

And I'm not an E10 fanboy with more headphones that I ever need. I actually run my headphones from 50 watt speaker amps. I don't bother with low powered "headphone" equipment. 
wink_face.gif

Very best,

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #10 of 10
Thanks very much MalVeauX!  I've been looking to get my first pair of headphones for the past 3 weeks or so and I've used your advice from numerous other posts to avoid the ATH-M50's and go with the DT 770's (Almost went with the HM5's haha).  I appreciate your honest responses that seem to focus on what's best for the person asking the question and not just trying to persuade them to buy what you already have (even thought from your sig/pictures, it looks to be an awesome collection haha).  Anyway, thanks again for all of your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back