Just got a pair of Bose QuietComfort 15s... anything I need to know before I use them?
Jan 6, 2013 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

falmouth

New Head-Fier
I know these may not be the best value for their money, but I got these as a gift especially for the noise canceling feature, and I am not complaining!!

Is there anything I need to know before I go ahead and start using them? My ears are trained to iphone earbuds so I am no audiophile by any means.

These are the first pair of headphones I have ever owned that aren't iphone/ipod earbuds, so I am almost scared to overuse them. Should I only use these when I really need the noise canceling feature out of fear they will burn our faster or something? 

Thanks!

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 18
Should I get the extended warranty? I have the one year it came with.

Also, can anyone recommend some good equalizer settings I can maybe use to make the most of the sound quality as well?

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 18
Enjoy them... If you are happy with the sound, then all is good 
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 18
You'll have to play with the equalizer and adjust it to your own particular tastes.

I wouldn't worry about looking for any kind of extended warrenty, especially if you'll be spending any amount of time here on head-fi. You'll have 6 new pairs of headphones before that year runs out worse case scenario.

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 18
In all my time on this website - I've heard a lot of people trash talk bose but I have NEVER ONCE heard the claim that Bose breaks easily.  This is a first.

I wouldn't worry about that claim (which I think is B.S!).  Bose has great customer service, if not some of the best in the industry.  I don't think you need an extended warranty but to each their own...

Nearly every consumer level headphone made by Seinheisser is made of the same plastic that Bose headphones are made of and I had a pair of Bose OE2's that were durable. I could bend the headband in the complete opposite direction (so the ear cups touched on their backside) and they would return back to their original shape.

If I were you I'd use them like a village bicycle and if anything ever breaks just take them to bose who *will* stand by their product.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:
These are the first pair of headphones I have ever owned that aren't iphone/ipod earbuds, so I am almost scared to overuse them. Should I only use these when I really need the noise canceling feature out of fear they will burn our faster or something? 

Thanks!

It's really sort of the opposite:  headphones need to "burn in" or "break in", which can take anywhere from a few hours to a few hundred, depending on the headphones. So the more you use them the better they should sound, up to a point.  I wouldn't worry about wearing them out, just enjoy.  

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #11 of 18
So I've been using these for a while now, and have noticed one thing. In the kitchen for example, the QC15 block out the ambient noise and also noises of things like vents blowing, but then my wife turns the water on and I can hear that, even while playing something on my computer. Also, I can hear her talking on the phone as well. 

Also, I can hear a very very slight static noise when I'm not playing any music or movies or anything. Is this normal?

Thanks!

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #12 of 18
Beware of too loud volume. And beware of being run over due to the noise cancellation :p

A very slight static sounds normal. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
So I've been using these for a while now, and have noticed one thing. In the kitchen for example, the QC15 block out the ambient noise and also noises of things like vents blowing, but then my wife turns the water on and I can hear that, even while playing something on my computer. Also, I can hear her talking on the phone as well. 

Also, I can hear a very very slight static noise when I'm not playing any music or movies or anything. Is this normal?

Thanks!

Hi, and congratulations for your QC 15. That slight static noise is normal and that is due to the electronic circuitry  of the noise canceling feature.
Noise canceling headphones work better blocking out low frequencies so it is also normal that you can hear some things especially  voices.
Enjoy them !

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #14 of 18
Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed in these. I don't understand how anyone can rave about the noise canceling feature, it almost makes the random noises like people talking, refrigerator door shutting, water running, etc. sound more clear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back